truck shopping, advise, opinions?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
dannygraves

truck shopping, advise, opinions?

Post by dannygraves »

so, I was talking about getting a diesel a few months back and decided to just stick it out with the f-150, until last night. I was leaving the MX track at like 11pm and when I started my truck it was making some valve train noise that was like nails down a chalk board to me. It sounded like no oil getting to the lifters and the timing chain rattling around. It went away after a few seconds, but that was the worst it has ever sounded. The truck is a '04 f-150 and its at 91k. Since it is a late '03 I'm counting on pulling the heads when doing my 100k to change the plugs, I also think I might have a couple cracked coils, the trans is starting to hammer hard in 2nd and it has a nasty manifold leak when cold. I have this gut feeling that this thing is gonna start costing big bucks, but right now I owe close to the trade in value and when it is warm it shows no signs of problems. So I'm thinking about trading it in for a diesel. I went by the chevy dealer today and they have ZERO dmaxs in stock and when the '11s are available, I'm probably looking at $60k they did have a used '08 dodge in stock for 33k that I was considering until I noticed that team ford next door has over 40 superdutys in stock and like 20 are '10s that they want gone so bad that they are offering 12k off and 0% that would bring the truck I want down to 38k brand new, but dodge also has 8k off and 1.9%.
Brit thinks I should buy used because I will get a better deal, but I also like the idea of brand new with a warranty, what do you guys think?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Danny,
I would buy a new one too! Especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. I have a 06 dodge 3500 cummins 6spd. that I bought new in 05. I bought the extended warranty and the lifetime oil changes. I have not had any problems yet, so I guess that I did not need that extended warranty. I still love the truck, it has been great to me and my family. I would get a Dodge. I like the chevy's too! But they have a bigger price tag. If you plan on lifting it, the chevys have the IFS front end. The ford and dodge both have a solid axle........
I have bought a few new vehicles and have never payed more than 10% less than the sticker price OTD. If they really want to sell you a truck you should be able to strike an even better deal. :wink:
Ryan
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I bought my 2005 Dmax used for cheap-cheap..... and it will be with me in another 15 years. Its a fantastic truck. The new ones are all smogged out with crap... like a gasser.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

fuck them american companies. we bailed em out and they flew in with private jets. doubt ill ever buy from them. just got a tacoma few months ago anyways, probly wont have it wore out for 20 years.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Were talking about real trucks now, the type that dont have spark plugs :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote:I bought my 2005 Dmax used for cheap-cheap..... and it will be with me in another 15 years. Its a fantastic truck. The new ones are all smogged out with crap... like a gasser.

I work in the business and get the best hookups PERIOD and I wouldnt buy new, im too cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

well, guys, I am now the proud owner of a 2010 ford f250 fx4 crew cab. They wanted the truck gone and I wanted the f-150 gone ;)

ended up paying 38 for the truck and had to roll over a little from the f-150, but they really streamlined the deal as much as possible. the only extra I bought was GAP. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

this is the listign with details
http://www.teamford.com/VehicleDetails/609546573
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

it has all the shit I wanted and none of the shit I didn't, no sunroof, no leather, no BS climate control, no sliding rear window, but it does have trailer brakes, tow package, 4x4, fx4 skid plate and shocks, MS sync stereo w/ bluetooth and ipod hookups, backup sensors and adjustable pedals for when the wifey drives, etc.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Travis

Post by Travis »

I despise fords new super duty headlights. Outside of that it looks like a great truck. I don't know that I would buy new because they lose so much value as soon as you roll off the lot but you never know what you are getting with a used vehicle either.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Travis wrote:I despise fords new super duty headlights. Outside of that it looks like a great truck. I don't know that I would buy new because they lose so much value as soon as you roll off the lot but you never know what you are getting with a used vehicle either.
yeah, I'm sick of used crap and I wasn't going to get in any other brand new diesel for the price. I plan to have the truck for a very long time. A used dodge was going to cost me 33k and for the 5k difference, I got brand new w/ warranty.
first thing tuesday it is getting line-x then tint on wednesday, then I'm leaving it the fuck alone, other than maintenance, until the tire wear out, then it'll get a small lift and 33s or 35s. No need to mess with anything else, the truck hauls ass and rides like a dream.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I bought GAP when I bought mine too. It's one of those things you second guess after you buy it because you don't really know what it's worth till you need it.
I bought a GMC2500 gasser in 2007.
I'll keep it till the wheels fall off for sure.
I write mine off with my business and I'll be in the market for another write off soon.
Looking at diesel next time.
Maybe the economy will get better and the decision will be made for me.
britincali

Post by britincali »

GAP is a no brainer unless you have a chunk of change down, it aint worth the risk without it.

Nice one danny :cool:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sweet :cool: . did you bother looking at toyota ? :lol:

i work for a guy part time on weekends hauling stuff, says his new fords get shit gas mileage, not exactly sure what year they are though, '07 models maybe. does the '08-'10 require removing the cab to acess the turbo ?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I know I ues to be a chevy guy when I was a younger man but the last 15 years its been ford for me and I really love my 450 its fricken the nicest car we have
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
britincali

Post by britincali »

Ive sold thousands of cars and trucks over the last 10 years and J yours is still the most badass vehicle Ive ever sold :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

britincali wrote:Ive sold thousands of cars and trucks over the last 10 years and J yours is still the most badass vehicle Ive ever sold :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I know we sure like it .... thanks again for the deal
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I feel the LOVE!!!!! :cool:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

clyde, the '08 up does not require moving the cab, the twin turbo assembly is up front and dead center. As far as mileage, in the '08+ for all brands have worse mileage from the DPF, I might have the fmaily hookup at AFE get me the DPF bypass kit if the mileage sucks, but I'm also used to my f-150 that would average 11-12 with my regular driving and 14 with me driving like a dick. I got 3.55 gears, so my mileage should be pretty good.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Nice ride Danny
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I get pretty crappy mileage with my 6 liter GMC gasser but it's either hooked up to a landscape trailer or a bike trailer all the time.
My buddy Sam pulled an open trailer with 6 bikes and 5 riders and gear through the mountains in WV a couple of weeks ago with his 2003 Dodge 3500 single wheel diesel. The damn thing was getting 20 mpg! I was pissed!
And he was speeding the whole way! Shit!
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

:cool: :cool: :cool: Stoked for you!
Joshwfl

Post by Joshwfl »

Tits man!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

lewisclan wrote:Nice ride Danny
X2

So is that coming out to Pismo?
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

thx guys. Not making it to Pismo this year though, too much going on...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80