I want to get this welded but should I?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostmaster

I want to get this welded but should I?

Post by Roostmaster »

Hey guys, Ive seen some nasty pics of AF's snapping so Im a tad worried.

Ive just put gen 3 plastics on my gen 2, this has exposed a frame scar where the old radiator shrouds wore in.

I want to get these scars welded over & I will file, sand & polish them out.

My worry is will getting a weld laid over the scar put the integrity of the frame at risk?

Cheers for any advice

Image[/img]
I have been to the top of the mountain and yes it is good.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I'd have no fear of problems arising from welding that classic plastic vs alloy groove. It's away from the main stress points within an AF frame, other than the down tube / Y - that is at the points where the spar is welded to the shock tower, the cracks propagate from the inside , then the top , bottom and eventually the outside of the spars with the natural flexing of the spars - your groove is about 80/90mm away, by the looks of the fuzzy picture.

A nice bead of 5039 - best for what I believe is 7000 series alloy, but 5356 is perfectly acceptable ( I use 5356 pretty much exclusively, as it is suitable for all the grades I deal with), by a competent TIG welder, then your choice of finishing tool and off you go.

A little bit of clear contact at touch points goes a long way - I've seen frames , and more often, triple clamps / forks worn all the way through by plastic / cables rubbing against the soft alloy.

I'm using Gen3 shrouds on my alloy tanks, and any edge contact point has a small bit of clear contact on the tank.
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have the same problem on the gen1 I just bought and was going to ask the same question. .Image[/img]
Last edited by riverman on June 3rd, 2010, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Thats located between the steering stem, and the halo.... I'd leave it alone.

The spars break between the halo, and where they turn down to the foot box.

If I had issues in that region, I'd address it.
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

weld it
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
riverman

Post by riverman »

I finally added a pic of the area needing attention. See first post. Sorry to hijack the thread.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I put 'right stuff' in all the wear areas on the frame- no harm in stopping the wear.
03 CRF450/85 500
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

riverman wrote:I have the same problem on the gen1 I just bought and was going to ask the same question. .Image[/img]
my gen 1 looks just like that. just ride it.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

First thing I did on my new 01 CR250 (When it was a 250), I put a couple of pieces of 3M graphic material in that same spot. Its still there now - with no issues. I wonder if you could weld on it and blend it in...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...