What is the going rate for a decent CR500 Engine?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
maddog1927

What is the going rate for a decent CR500 Engine?

Post by maddog1927 »

'96-01 in average condition carb / electronics / all included.
cmotodad

cr 500 engine

Post by cmotodad »

For anyone interested, Vance at G&E machining ( they are in Anaheim, Ca. ) has a completely rebuilt 500 motor. Gears, bearings, bore and top end that the customer never picked up. He has it for sale. Do not know the # but I think @ $1500.. They do very good work as a plus.
FZ1426

Post by FZ1426 »

Service Honda: $6190 for a new '01 CR500 motor. :stir:
'06 CRF450R, '02 R1, '11 YZ450F
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

They are getting more pricey all the time. I have been lucky on craigslist, found one last year in Jersey for 500 bucks. That being said I paid 500 for a basket case a few months earlier and I'm just using parts from it. Ebay is getting ridiculous and buying a whole bike is a PITA in my book because the chassis is not worth much.
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

I picked up two bikes for AF,s. Yes, you are right, they seem to be taking up space in the garage. Parts are selling, just a little slow.
durkn

Post by durkn »

$6K for a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: cr 500 engine

Post by AlisoBob »

cmotodad wrote:For anyone interested, Vance at Q&E machining ( they are in Anaheim, Ca. ) has a completely rebuilt 500 motor.
Went by to buy this today....

He said it read .5 mm over on the piston top, but you cant feel the decompression scallops venting when you turn it over....I had him pull the head and measure the bore... its really 1.5mm over

Stator wires hacked up
Told me on the phone " New Crank", get there... its really a "Rod Kit"
Clutch cover smashed
Non OEM gaskets
(Slight) case damage from chain wrap up.
Been sitting for 4+years, water pump seals questionable
Trans breather hose cut short, would not make it to correct exit location.
Said all new tranny on phone, get there and "its some new gears, some inspected gears from another motor."

Says he wants $1700..... ( "I can sell it on Ebay for over $2k) Go right ahead....

:roll:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

motors sell for more than complete bikes. I bought a beat to shit '89 cr500 locally for $400, tossed the chassis, opened up the motor and it was the cleanest I had ever seen and was on a standard bore :wink: Can't even though a beat to shit motor on ebay for under $1000. check your local craigslist and look for people who don't know what they have. Most of the good ones I've seen have been the (bike doesn't start, bee parked in the shed for 5 years, give me an offer). My friend Marshall found a sweet running '92 for $800. There is no reason to pay $1500 for a motor, for $1500 you can get a super clean steelie and sell off the chassis in peices for most of what you paid.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Found an '87 locally. Guy wants $800:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1709797904.html

Only problem, is that you don't really know what you're getting into until its apart.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I was interested in this one for the "new" crank and "all new tranny" that werent...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, most of the ones that have all sorts of work listed are crap, the best ones seem to be the ones that were never opened and are owned by guys who rode it like 3 times.
When I sold my gen-3 I said EVERYTHING was new including a brand new oem crank, new piston, new trans gears, etc etc. The new owner pulled the head to send to roosty for a decomp and called me up to say that was the shineyest and cleanest motor inside that he has ever seen. Was surprised that I told the truth because so many d-bags are full of it. :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
FZ1426

Post by FZ1426 »

The only reason you can get away with saying a steelie chassis isn't worth much is because most of them have been beaten, hammered, and otherwise generally trashed by ham fisted creatins.

"Super clean" is a relative term. Certainly, if you get a "super clean" (post '92) steelie for $1500, you just found someone who has no clue what they have. Either that or they have a very charitable personality. Good luck with that.

The only way to tell how a motor has been treated is to assertain how the bike as a whole has been treated. In my book, the engine out of a $1500 (post '92) steelie would shurely need several hundred dollars in overhaul costs and upgrades before being grafted into an AF chassis.

I can't imagine scimping on a motor that's going into a package that prime examples of which are going for over $10,000...
'06 CRF450R, '02 R1, '11 YZ450F