Clear Powder Coat

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
maddog1927

Clear Powder Coat

Post by maddog1927 »

Will it stick to a polished frame very well?

Will it offer much protection?

Will it yellow?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I've done it with a polished manifold before. Danny sold the car so I dunno how long it lasted - but it looked good!

Danny has a pic somewhere...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I have seen CR480R swing arms clear powder coated and they look good and still looked good several years of racing later. When I asked about this I was told getting the swing arm absolutely clean and free of any grease (etc.) was critical to the initial result. See no reason why the clear coat would stick to a polished surface.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
arleybeer40

Post by arleybeer40 »

This is just theorizing but I don't think a clear powder would hold up the abuse. When you polish the frame you remove the irregular surfaces, ridges, fissures and such that powder coat would use to hold onto. From past experience(8 years ago) it will yellow from the sun and abrasion. Can't give a better answer though, haven't kept up on advances in the chemicals. All I know is if you want the shine, gota put in the time.
Brit must be gay because he always says hes gonna have a fag
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

arleybeer40 wrote:This is just theorizing but I don't think a clear powder would hold up the abuse. When you polish the frame you remove the irregular surfaces, ridges, fissures and such that powder coat would use to hold onto. From past experience(8 years ago) it will yellow from the sun and abrasion. Can't give a better answer though, haven't kept up on advances in the chemicals. All I know is if you want the shine, gota put in the time.
or have the frame chromed......then the power washer blows the shit right off.

the local chrome shop does stuff in-house. everywhere you want smooth & shiny has to be polished. everywhere that doesnt matter must still be clean. but if you take the pieces in ready to throw in the tanks, its MUCH cheaper.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

The best surface prep for powder coating is media blasting followed by
chemical etching. This combination provides a clean roughened
substrate for the powder to flow out and adhere to. A highly polished
surface is probably the least likely to retain the powder.

Clear powders are not as durable as pigmented and will not tolerate
chemicals (like gasoline). I wouldn't recommend using clear powder
on anything that will be ridden.

dogger
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

hmm being i work in a PC shop now you could have the frame SUPER CHROMED then CLEAR over that (after the frame was blasted lightly to give the PC something to hold onto) the SUPER CHROME does look pretty sweet if done correctly....(cant go heavy or it looks GRAY)
they make rubberized coatings also that are prob. a bit tougher. ill tell ya in a couple days since we are gonna shot a go cart frame tomorrow...