TWIN AIR CAN SUCK MY BALLZ!!!!!

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

M.F.D.B. wrote: Why would you risk using something not even closely designed for the purpose of filtering air?
No shit....... Frickin' Lucas????

:roll:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I use that there blue sticky stuff in the black bottle :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I knew a guy that used to use wd40.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

when my dad was crashing at my house, he used to throw down beers in the garage and chain smoke while I worked on my stuff. anyway, one day, he's hanging out while I was cleaning the uni filter on the gen-1, then he watched me oil it up and asked
"why the fuck are you using that expensive stuff to oil your filter?" (he noticed the $8 price tag still stuck to it) then he goes "back in the '70's we didn't have any of that stuff, we just used 30wt motor oil"
I laughed my ass off.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote:
M.F.D.B. wrote: Why would you risk using something not even closely designed for the purpose of filtering air?
No shit....... Frickin' Lucas????

:roll:
Maybe Snake Oil is the ultimate? :lmao:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Bukakke anyone?

Terrence?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

CR500R7 wrote:now theres a thought, CR500R chainsaw. :shock: :shock: :shock:
lets see Honda make one of those. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? :? :?
CR500 Chainsaw:

KX500 Chainsaw:

The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

AlisoBob wrote:Bukakke anyone?

Terrence?
gnarly post bobber... :o
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:How the hell did this thread get resurected? LOL

Why would you risk using something not even closely designed for the purpose of filtering air?
so far, i havent found a stickier oil. it doesnt run out of the filter, (unless its balls saturated) and its stickier than any other air filter oil i have ever used. and it catches everything, no grit in the glob of grease in the intake boot.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
thestuz

Re: TWIN AIR CAN SUCK MY BALLZ!!!!!

Post by thestuz »

dannygraves wrote:So, I was trying to figure out what the grinding noise coming out of my bottom end at Dumont was... I lifted my seat and this is what I saw. The last owner said he had 2 rides on that filter before the bike sat in storage for 6 months. I serviced it right before dumont and had maybe 6 rides on it since I did my a/f conversion.
This is a serious hoon tragedy here! :x :evil:

i know this is an old post but you guys should be spraying a bit of airfilter lube on the inside of the airfilter boot. that way when sand or dirt does find its way through or drops in during filter changes, it gets caught up in the sticky lube and not get sucked into the engine. doing this may of saved dannys engine to a degree. whenever i change filters i use a clean latex glove and while the old filter is off i wipe my hand in there(with the latex glove on) and i am able to see/feel if any dirt/dust has gotten through. and believe me, the filter lube has stopped quite a bit of sand getting in over the years.and when i take the carby out to do jetting changes i am able to stick in a few fingers to feel/see whats gotten past the filter. if you look at dannys photos, you can see where the sand has stuck to the grease and oil on the filter frame. now imagine if he had a sticky oily coating on the inside of the boot!!!! he would of caught most of the sand that went into his engine. its a must do if you want to keep your motor fresh. just spray a fine film of filter lube inside there and watch how much sand/dust it catches. its a must do. just my 2c
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i hold a pretty high regard for twin air filters on the cr5.they are small compared to the unis but the unis leak where the second part of the twin stage filter doesnt meet all the way up against the boot.its like they need to be glued together.i dont like them. but after seein yours, ive been checking my twin air filter glue every time i clean them :lol:
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

I believe gluing 2 different size foams together is a poor design. If a particle is small enough to get through the outer layer and not the inner it gets trapped between them. How do you get it back out? No level of cleaning is going to guarantee you will.

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

M.F.D.B. wrote:I believe gluing 2 different size foams together is a poor design. If a particle is small enough to get through the outer layer and not the inner it gets trapped between them. How do you get it back out? No level of cleaning is going to guarantee you will.
i clean them all at once.i have 4 filters and wait till they are all dirty before i bother. i thoroughly wash them with petrol(3 different washes and change the fuel each clean) then let dry.then once dry, i use compressed air to blow out any grains of dirt that are still in there.you can also bang it against a wall. if there is any dirt left, it is held in place by the spray on oil that i squeeze through the filter. i change my filters after 1 dusty ride. in the winter i dont clean them much, no dust

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

using petrol to clean the filter is exactly what caused the break down in the glue on my old filter pictured here. I either use filter cleaner, or simple green. Fuel or harsh cleaners (acetone, carb cleaner, mineral spirits, etc.) will break down the glue or the filter or both.
BTW, Justin, I didn't find any case cracks, or messed up gaskets, but some of the case bolts weren't all that tight. I snugged them down and refilled the oil and so far low leakage. whos down for a ride next weekend?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

dannygraves wrote:using petrol to clean the filter is exactly what caused the break down in the glue on my old filter pictured here.
:wink:

Gas eats not only the glue but also the foam itself. I have heard 100% Bio Diesel works great tho, havnt tried it yet...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah ive been using petrol for years. never had a problem yet. i guess when your filters get to a certain age, you need to replace them regardless. i replace them every 4-5 years of pretty heavy use and ive never seen them deteriorate too bad.point is, spray a little lube in the air boot! :idea: it helps.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

thestuz wrote: yeah ive been using petrol for years. never had a problem yet. i guess when your filters get to a certain age, you need to replace them regardless. i replace them every 4-5 years of pretty heavy use and ive never seen them deteriorate too bad.
I stopped using gas to clean filters when my UNI (only a year or 2 old) started to show signs of thinning and deterioration. Most filter manufacturers will not warranty a filter failure if you use gas as a cleaner.
thestuz wrote:point is, spray a little lube in the air boot! :idea: it helps.
With the velocity of air moving through the air box I doubt 10% of it actually contacts the walls of the shorkle enough to make much diiference. I think its a much better pratice to clean and maintain your filters PROPERLY instead of cutting corners. If you follow these simple instructions you dont have to waste your time making a total mess of your air filtration spraying filter oil where it isnt designed:

Use proper "Air Filter Cleaners" that dont harm your filter.

Get an "Air Box Cover" which is a plastic seal that replaces your filter so you can clean your air box while the filter is out.

Pretty simple really and a whole lot less messy that spraying the inside of your snorkle which pretty much only makes a huge mess that requires removal of the air box to clean. Dont forget that using gas also makes your filter flamable which means a simple back fire can burn your bike to the ground and possibly the garage/house its parked in/near...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

M.F.D.B. wrote: Dont forget that using gas also makes your filter flamable which means a simple back fire can burn your bike to the ground and possibly the garage/house its parked in/near...

Definitely not recommended by 15 out of 10 smart people, costs to much to build a bike then burn it.

Plus the garage / house. :roll:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

CR500R7 wrote: Definitely not recommended by 15 out of 10 smart people
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

doh! oh well, its saved my engine from eating a few grains of sand that got dropped in from the filter box during a filter change, or some how got past the filter.youll never know what gets past your filter if you dont spray a bit of filter oil in there.but each to there own. and i dont get too paranoid of burning down the bike and the shed during a filter change. i clean the filters in a well ventilated outdoors concrete area and let them dry before oiling them. oh yeah, i ment spraying the inside carby boot that sits between the filter and the carb, not oiling the filter box

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

This is the stuff I've been using for a few years and it works great!

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, I've found the PJ1 works better than the uni cleaner, but it costs more.
I used simple green in a pinch and found it worked REALLY well at breaking down the oil and dirt and didn't smell aweful, so I'm sticking to that from now on :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Simple Green is bad ass but it wont touch the stuff I use...just makes a creamy mess...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Simple Green is bad ass but it wont touch the stuff I use...just makes a creamy mess...

Danny knows the creamy mess all to well... :?

:lol:

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

dick!
:lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80