Gen 4 crf450 flat sheet "Y"

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
cr500binks

Gen 4 crf450 flat sheet "Y"

Post by cr500binks »

right boys and girls last night i managed to get my grubby hands on an 2007 crf450 rolling chassis off e-bay for £620 thats about $400 !!!

i made a list of all the things i need to do and things i need to get with help from this site !

the main bits of info i am missing are.......
what size alloy do i need to get to "slot" into the craddle where i cut it by the front mounts and what size alloy is the actual frame ?

also i need details of the engine mounts i have read that the gen1 mount will also fit the gen4 frame but i need to know sizes and dimentions of these mounts or an auto-cad drawing would be amazing as i can then get them made up through the company i work for !

i work away from home and it wont get started for about 2 weeks but i want to source all the bits i need so i can crack into it when i get home !

pics to follow of what i got.

cheers
Last edited by cr500binks on June 6th, 2011, 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

i have a 2005 450 and the gen 1 mounts need about 1/4 inch in between motor added. the front mount on a 450 is wider than cr250,gen 1. them aussie mounts look good.the frame rails are 1x1 6061 t6 roostuis maximus sells just what you need.
no wing no prayer
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Get the Aussie kit... done.
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

yeah ive been thinking that but...........i wouldnt mind making the parts or having them made where i work. just because i think it will feel more mine and i know i was more involved in the build ! do you know what i mean??????
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

sounds like alot of f'n arround. :roll:

I've done gen1, 2, 3, 4 bikes, the gen 2 + 3 250s you can use the lower mounts to set the angle of the engine, the others are a pain in the ass to get things to the right angles. :evil:
dannygraves

Re: my AF project has almost started !!

Post by dannygraves »

cr500binks wrote:right boys and girls last night i managed to get my grubby hands on an 2007 crf450 rolling chassis off e-bay for £620 thats about $400 !!!

i made a list of all the things i need to do and things i need to get with help from this site !

the main bits of info i am missing are.......
what size alloy do i need to get to "slot" into the craddle where i cut it by the front mounts and what size alloy is the actual frame ?

also i need details of the engine mounts i have read that the gen1 mount will also fit the gen4 frame but i need to know sizes and dimentions of these mounts or an auto-cad drawing would be amazing as i can then get them made up through the company i work for !

i work away from home and it wont get started for about 2 weeks but i want to source all the bits i need so i can crack into it when i get home !

pics to follow of what i got.

cheers
620 GBP= $962
jus FYI
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

shit I paid alot more than that for a kit right here and got less
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

here's the link for my 07' crf450 roller and my 96' cr500 doner.

yeah my bad got the currncey wrong !
im thinkin about making a new "Y" section out of 3mm alloy just because it looks amazing and because i think i will be the strongest option. also ive read a few things on here about UK welding being "weak" and this will prove that its not ! :roll:

i have managed to find some drawings with measurments for some front mounts and they seem easy enough to fab up. but i need some drawings with measurments for the bottom mounts can any one help me out with them???
also just wondering why cant the crf450 rads be used is it cos there too small and if they are cant oversized rads be used ?

cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

if it dont smoke its a joke
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

just wondering why cant the crf450 rads be used is it cos there too small and if they are cant over sized rads be used
where does it say that you cant use the crf 450 radiators

I'm thinking about making a new "Y" section out of 3mm alloy just because it looks amazing and because i think i will be the strongest option. also I've read a few things on here about UK welding being "weak" and this will prove that its not !

the fabricated y looks amazing yes but its a hell of a lot of work and a lot of welding that isn't necessary but good luck it does look sweet $.02
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

i was wondering about the rads as some people use the cr500 rads on there AF conversion, but i was thinking that the 450 rads cant be much smaller than the 500 ones !

as for the "Y" section it is a lot of work and welding but i think its worth it partly for the strength and partly cos it looks sweet when its all welded up !
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

cr500binks wrote:i was wondering about the rads as some people use the cr500 rads on there AF conversion, but i was thinking that the 450 rads cant be much smaller than the 500 ones !

as for the "Y" section it is a lot of work and welding but i think its worth it partly for the strength and partly cos it looks sweet when its all welded up !
i personly havnt seen on af with the 500 rads i wouldnt have thought they would fit, they may be larger in the length but are 2 core and they arnt as efficient as the crf 250 or 450 rads that are fatter single core units ive never had a over heating problem with any of the bikes we have built

the crf rads need minor mods that only take about a hour to complete
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yup.....
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

am i right in saying that only the R/H side rad needs to be altered ? does it need an out let welded to the top facing down and another outlet welded on the bottom facing the other rad ?

also can anyone tell me what size alloy i need for the outlets.
another thing can anyone give me the designs for the lower mounts with measurements ?

cheers
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

how far along is your conversion is your motor in once you get to that stage the mods to the radiator falls into place you need one outlet directly above the water pump and the other mods depend on what hoses you use
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

i havnt got very far in the conversion, ive been away from home working and i got home last night so now im gonna crack into it. i have ordered some new radiators so when they come i will be able to see what needs doin to the rads.

there is a cr500 86 engine for sale on ebay and im thinkin about getting it so then i can keep the cr500 steelie and have a cr500af. is there much more work involved in using an 86 as opposed to my 96 engine ??
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

get a 91+ engine and you wont have to machine bushings, change a rotted clutch case or worry about goofy house routing :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:get a 91+ engine and you wont have to machine bushings, change a rotted clutch case or worry about goofy house routing :wink:
Get a 94+ engine ( with the wide ratio tranny) and you can go more than 48mph.
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

the problem is over here in the uk cr500 engines are rare as rocking horse shit to buy, i didnt think that the old engins were that bad i thought they were ment to feel faster due to the lack of porting in the top end ?!
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

bit of an update,

i got my 500 motor ito the crf frame and cut the "Y" section off along with about 2" off the main frame. i also had my rads delivered, i go them off ebay they were from china and i only paid £90 for them, i honestly cant knock them well worth getting some if you need them ! i have started to mod the rads aswell as making up cardbord templates for the new "Y" section im doin.
i will post some pictures soon
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

here's some pics
i have taken the "Y" section off and also cut about 65mm off the main frame.

bit of a side view, i also made up my own engine jig

a pic of those rads from china ! ive cut the bottom out lets off and are almost ready for welding.
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

well the project has pretty much been put on hold due to me being called away to ireland to work for about 8 weeks. i brought my rads with me and there s a "fab shop" next to our compound so im going to call in and see if they do tig welding so i can get my rads sorted out. and hopefully they can get me some 6061 t6 alloy as its proving a bit of a trouble finging it in the uk ! but from what i have researched 6082 t6 is widly used in the uk but the only problem being that its not as strong as the 6061 but the 6082 doesnt lose much strenght when its welded.

can anyone shed any more light on this for me ?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i'll ship tube anywhere 6061t6511 round edge similar to the honda rails
cr500binks

Post by cr500binks »

thanks for the reply ! but im goin down the flat sheet "Y" route so im after 3mm thick alloy sheet !
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

By the extensive use of 7020 by various frame builders (Spondon / Harris / Enid Puceflace etc) I thought it might be fairly freely available in the UK.

Fantastic stuff to use, especially with a sheet Y / cradle build. Don't limit yourself to use of one thickness of sheet - that's the beauty of the the sheet build - variation of wall thickness.