Craddle cracked, snapped...

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
blackz34

Craddle cracked, snapped...

Post by blackz34 »

Got my CR500AF running since a couple of weeks and I discover a little hairline crack on the front of the frame at the upper Y weld. So we grooved the crack, rewelded it and put a 1/4 plate over it to reinforced.

Looks like it did the job but on the next ride I did at a local MX track the 2 craddle tube had snapped just over the front engine mount, just over the weld. I have read multiple time that welding 6061 can weaken it by as much a 2/3 of its original strenght. But I also know that most of you don't have your frame heat threaten after the welding is done. I have read alot on this forum and the other one and don't remember this beeing a common failure.

What do you think? How would you fix it? I have a couple of idea but let-s hear about yours.

Here you can see:

And here's the plate we added:

gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

what was the procedure for putting your frame together did it go together under tension

did you bend the frame in the front engine mounts in anyway.
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Just looking at it you can see the engine mount bolt has been pulling together...the gap on the inside of the crack is alot narrower then the outsite...supprising when you see how faraway the mounts are from the up rights....alot of filling weld went into that....makes alot of heat Greg, what you recon
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Maybe from bending tube in T6 condition or head stay not providing enough support??? :?:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

it looks to have a crease on the outside of the tube like a bender mark it does look like a big weave on the weld but i would like to see a bigger photo
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

KE 336 wrote:Maybe from bending tube in T6 condition or head stay not providing enough support??? :?:

I did bent the tube in T6 condition, but the tube cracked in the straight part, not where it was bent so I don't think this is the issue for now. The head stay may not be the best design though.

if I remember, there was little to no tension when I bolted the engine but maybe there was some tension in the frame tube when we welded them.

Greg, I can take other pic, what would you want to see exactly?
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

Is your motor maybe vibrating alot?
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

craigf40 wrote:Is your motor maybe vibrating alot?
This is the first 500 I have so I can't really compare, it does vibrates but I don't know if this is "a lot" for a 500. All bearing are new in the engine, piston is a Vertex 90mm. Crank was within specs so I didn't mind rebuilding it.

You think vibration could have caused this?
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

got pics of your headstay design?

if the headstay is not built right, the motor can vibrate too much in the cradle and fracture the frame above the top frt motor mounts as yours has.
I bought a bike with problem and I am having a new headstay design fabbed up.

I would guess thats due to too much engine movement.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

we just finished a crf 450 conversion long story short i had a cr250 frame that i cut the head stay off and welded to the 450 and fabbed head stay plates like a stocker

i would like to see build pic if i could i am no expert and i am not a engineer but im a qualified boilermaker so what i tell you is only my opinion
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
98cr500rider

Post by 98cr500rider »

Good grief, it’s not just the British bikes that snap then.

Just how hard do you ride, are you at pro level doing massive jumps??

Looking at how the metal has fatigued and looks like it crystallised in the break area, it looks like continuous back and forth stress from the engine moving around.

How would you say the engine was aligned in the frame with regards to the swinging arm and chain run?

Did you have to fight the frame at the front to line up the front mounts for welding. By this I mean did you set the alignment at the swingarm and weld up the front where it sat, or did you go for a symmetrical look at the front assuming that to be right thing to do but possibly skewing the engine out of alignment. Just curious as to how you approached the framework and made sure the engine was in the right place.

blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

98cr500rider wrote: By this I mean did you set the alignment at the swingarm and weld up the front where it sat
This is what I did. I first put the engine with the swingarm bolt tighten and we tacked the Y, the tube and the 2 lower mount in place. I removed the engine so the welder can finish the welds. Then I put back the engine and fabbed the 2 front mounts and head stay. I bolted the front mount to the engine and he tacked them where they sat. Same with the headstay. I removed the engine another time so he can finish thes weld too. Engine is aligned perfectly I would say. When there is only the swingarm bolt thighten, the engine is "free" (but theres no real gap) in the other mounts.

My headstay might be a problem. It's ugly and it was made quickly with what was available. I took the 2 500 headstay and the 2 450 ones and weld a lenght of sqare tube between each pair. Result is something like shaggy's headstay but thinner with welds instead of billet.

Here is the headstay:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

your head stay has done nothing to brace your engine i will post photos of the one i just done
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Your head stay Left to Right is fine,
its the lateral forward & back thats killed your frame mate...Gregrobo will set you right.... :cool:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

the factory head stay is designed this way so why change it the head stay is a real problem with the 450 conversion and i dont believe that the halo style head stay is really sufficient to hold the engine and stop vibration that is my opinion others will disagree im sure. i have 3d renderings of what i have done if you are interested from what i see you are starting your conversion again. pm me if i can help you
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

After looking at Gregbro's headstay, I would still be slightly concerned about the length of the mounts. Seems like there would be considerable leverage side to side. I quess the headstay is mainly for the fore to aft movement. The 125 and 250f chassis we did have much shorter headstays. Still the most stock 500 mount on a 450 to date. Good work.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

asteroid500 wrote:Your head stay Left to Right is fine,
its the lateral forward & back thats killed your frame mate...

x2
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

cmotodad wrote:After looking at Gregbro's headstay, I would still be slightly concerned about the length of the mounts. Seems like there would be considerable leverage side to side.
Well, maybe I could do a combination of what I have and what Greg has. Or just something like Greg, I thought about it at first but I was concerned about the lenght of the mount too. What thickness are they? I have some 1/4 flat bar here but maybe I should go 3/8 ?

I will have to move my coil, this is exactly where it is :x
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This isnt so good either..... Honda " Zigs-Zags" it for a reason.... to make it stiffer...

This is my bike.... dual Zig-Zag just like OEM

No vibes, no cracks.

:idea:

Our goal is to build these things like Honda did, not reinvent the wheel.

I dont know how many members here follow Reno Air Racing...

The Mustang rules Reno 60 years after its birth....

Dago Red

Their have been lots of BIG DOLLAR homebuilts that have tried to dethrown her.... all have been destroyed trying....

Tsunami

Miss Ashley II

Pond Racer

North American Avaition knew what it was doing 60 years ago.... Honda does too......
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

I believe that head stay is the answer the motor looks like it was moving up and down and it makes sens to me that the head stay even if its long will stop that movement and i don't think there is any need to stop side movement coz there shouldn't be any
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Do I get a prize for being the first to suggest a head stay problem? :lol:
I considered doing mine the way Gregrobo did also BUT I myself do not care for just a butt weld of aluminum holding something having a pulling force. Not saying that way is wrong, I just don't put a lot of faith in it.
I know honda does it that way but they also have the benefit of knowing exact alloy type and probably have their own grade of filler rod and post weld heat treat. If you think about it, not matter how beefy the support block is, the only thing holding it to the frame is the 1/4" or so of fillet which is a marrige of the two alloys welded together blended with filler.
My $.02 which is probably all it is worth.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

The frame I bought has the same damage, and same problem.
Poor head stay design.

Gregs is good, but Bobs is best for torsional and lateral vibration and flex control.

The 450 motor has the head stays on the down tube and on the perimiter tubes.

Get one built like Bobs, and your problems will dissapear.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I'll put my 2 cents in again on this subject- my first frame had a neat hoop design that used the 450 mounts and went around the back of the head.

From the start the bike vibrated too much and the head stay continually cracked. The nipples on the radiators cracked after only a few months.

The next frame I used 125 brackets and cut a block to make everything fit together- less vibration and no problems.
I don't care if you don't trust butt welds, the other way will screw up your bike. Do it the right way.

Image[/img]
03 CRF450/85 500
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

nmdesertrider wrote:I'll put my 2 cents in again on this subject- my first frame had a neat hoop design that used the 450 mounts and went around the back of the head.

From the start the bike vibrated too much and the head stay continually cracked. The nipples on the radiators cracked after only a few months.

The next frame I used 125 brackets and cut a block to make everything fit together- less vibration and no problems.
I don't care if you don't trust butt welds, the other way will screw up your bike. Do it the right way.

Image[/img]
So those are 125 brackets? Do you know what year? Thay look to have almost the good lenght...
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I think they might be 01- not hundred percent sure just from the junk shelf at my friends shop.
03 CRF450/85 500