98' Gen. One AFC Build It's Getting There!!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Rue

98' Gen. One AFC Build It's Getting There!!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Rue »

I’ve wanted an aluminum framed 500 ever since my neighbor Shane had one about ten years ago, but never thought I would ever get one due to the high $$$ tag. About a year and a half ago my BFF Anthony puts a great idea in my head, that we should build our own AF CR500. Once that happened I had the AF BUG all over again!! I started surfing the web and found Shanman’s Instrctions and it lead me to here to the banned site and CR500riders.com. I became a member immediately. I looked through all the builds in the AF sections. I did my home work for a while and decide that the Gen. One would be the right build for me. If it weren’t for Shanman’s instructions and Drawings this build would not be possible. I fit the bill of being a Normal guy with just the right tools to get the job done. I knew going into this project that I was going to have to be patient due the fundage!! So I was on craigslist every damn day until I found my donors. Thanks to all the great Hoons for helping me out with parts and my build.

So in March of 09 I went on a road trip with my BFF and headed down to Phoenix to pick up a complete but not running 1998 CR250 he took $800.00 bucks he was asking $1000. I didn’t think that was a bad deal, I'm sure you guys will let me know how I did. In May of 2009 I took another road trip to Phoenix this time I brought my mom’s with me so we could visit some family that lives in the area and to pick up the donor bike, a 1988 CR500R for $500. It had no coolant and was ran dry for who knows how long, didn’t know that till I got her home. It’s a good thing I didn’t run her to hard on the test drive!!! My smile was ear to ear.

I had to put the build on hold for a while because my wife told me I was going to be a Daddy!! So I needed to save my dinero for my lil baby girl. My daughter is doing well and will be 6 months on August 12th.

Ive been busy these last couple of weeks putting together all the parts that I have gathered from several Hoons and following Shanman’s instructions. I'll post some pictures of the parts I've gathered and the progress I have made.
Last edited by Rue on March 28th, 2012, 9:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

SWEET!!!!!!
Rue

Post by Rue »

Hoons that have made my build possible!!!!:

ShanMan – Instructions & Drawings PRICELESS INFO
http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=410

logos5705- Machined swingarm spacers $30.00!! (Per Shanman’s Drawings)
hoofarted – provided me with Shanman’s Head Stay & coil Adapter $60.00!!

AlisoBob
SOLID Bro
mcrawford39
97af
Roostius Maximus
Danny Graves
AP
Greg @ High Velocity Cycles- Local Shop and a buddy of mine has built several AFC’s and has given me many pointers, helped me with my build and has helped me with my other Bikes. Thanks bro!!
Keith @ Factory Edge- Local Shop Has been a great help with my build and hooking me up with some good contacts.
Don – Local TIG Welder Front Engine mounts welded $50!!
Steve- Local Machinist Milled my Engine mounts (Per Shanman’s Drawings) $75!!
Last edited by Rue on August 26th, 2011, 7:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AFC Build link

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
Rue

Post by Rue »

Thanks Bob!!
AFC Build link

asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

GO THE G1,
by the way...whats a BFF...a boy friend prehaps? & how many "MOMS" do you have.... :roll:

Get some picks up mate.....$ wise im in the same boat...i work 2 jobs,1 as a metal fabricatoe & 2 as a chef in the old mans resterant, 6am till 11pm, 5 days a week....cooking is my play $, & ive been building my G1 for over 18mths. :wink:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Congrats Raul! Glad to see its coming together finally! Hope all is well with the family! Post some pix up of your progress....

Asteroid,
BFF is an acronym for Best Friend:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bff
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rue

Post by Rue »

asteroid500 wrote:GO THE G1,
by the way...whats a BFF...a boy friend prehaps? & how many "MOMS" do you have.... :roll:
No he’s not my boyfriend asteroid500. I am happily married and have a beautiful baby girl. He is my friend, buddy, amigo, mate! I was being funny making a joke, BFF is a acronym for Best Friend Forever, kids use it a lot while texting so they don’t have to spell it out. It’s just like IMO= In My Opinion ect. ect. ect. I only have one mom that was me using the slang again. :roll:
asteroid500 wrote:Get some picks up mate.....$ wise im in the same boat...i work 2 jobs,1 as a metal fabricatoe & 2 as a chef in the old mans resterant, 6am till 11pm, 5 days a week....cooking is my play $, & ive been building my G1 for over 18mths. :wink:
I fill you there mate...I might need to find a Part time job to fund my Projects!! I am a manager Trainer for Foot Locker and It’s busy at work right now all the kids are getting ready to go back to school. Busy= $Bonus$ Time = a little $$ will go to the Gen. one build!! :D
AFC Build link

Rue

Post by Rue »

CR500R Donor Bike and Engine

1998 CR250 Donor

I had the 88' bushings removed and had the cases bored to accept the 17mm bushings From the 98' CR250 that came out of the donor frame.

Time to take the plunge (you guys have to remember I'm a normal guy not a welder or fabricator) and start cutting the factory front engine mounts off!!! :D

I am moving on to the X-Brace, I only cut the bottom portion of the X-brace. Honda engineered it to be there so I didn’t want to remove the whole thing.

ImageImage

I removed the second engine mount and completely cleaned deburred and resurfaced one side and now on to the other side of the frame!!

Here are both sides completely cleaned deburred and resurfaced per Shanmans instructions.
Last edited by Rue on August 4th, 2010, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFC Build link

south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

you won't be able to get the jug in there with the top half of the X still in it. Or anyway, i couldn't. I had to take the whole thing out. $.02
Rue

Post by Rue »

south central hoon wrote:you won't be able to get the jug in there with the top half of the X still in it. Or anyway, i couldn't. I had to take the whole thing out. $.02
Yeah I will have to remove the entire engine to service the top end , I am going to leave it like that for now. I can always cut it off later. Thanks for the advice south central hoon. If you can think of anything else let me know I'd appreciate any help I can get.
AFC Build link

ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

excellent progress brother! Keep chuggin' along and you will be roostin' soon! BTW: for gen. one bikes...beyond the conversion: the best money you will soend is to get your suspension DIALED professionally. It forgives some of the rigidity that some complain from on the gen. one bikes. It's essential.

Great work!
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rue wrote:

1.Machined swingarm spacers $30.00!!

2.Shanman’s Head Stay & coil Adapter $60.00!!

The A/F world constantly evolves... FYI.

1. I think guys are now using the correct OEM Honda bushings as they are cheaper to buy than having the Shanman spacers made.

2. Some guys are just using the OEM 250 coil instead of the 500 coil in the machined adapter. I reccomend double headstay plates, but the jury is still out on that one.

Your build looks sweet!!!!

:headbang:
Rue

Post by Rue »

Thanks Bob for what I paid for the spacers, head stay and coil adapter I thought those guys gave me one hell of a Hoon deal. I know that it is quality hardwear and for those prices I couldn't pass um up.

Bob wrote:
1. I think guys are now using the correct OEM Honda bushings as they are cheaper to buy than having the Shanman spacers made.

Bob You wouldn't happen to know the OEM part numbers for the correct bushings or know a Hoon that would? Those bushings are a pain in the ass, I like astroids solution to the spacer but it would cost to mush to import them.
AFC Build link

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I think you need a 54mm and a 59mm.

Something like that.

Whats the combined legnth of the 125 bushing + spacer?
Rue

Post by Rue »

AlisoBob wrote:I think you need a 54mm and a 59mm.

Something like that.

Whats the combined legnth of the 125 bushing + spacer?
The combined legnth of the 250 bushings + spacer are:
Countershaft side- 55.98mm
Clutch side-54.00mm

The stock 98' CR250 both bushings are 49mm

I don't think a 56mm would work, right??? Is a 56mm even made in that length :? Maybe from another manufacture??

Bob Do you think a machinist could mill down the 59mm to 56mm, I’ve heard that they are a hardened steel??

I was looking through the thread: Gen 3 OEM Swingarm Spacers and Washers.
CR500R7 wrote:OK this might save some confusion when stuffing a CR500 into these frames.

The Std CRF250 04-09 uses a 49mm on the left and a 59mm on the right, with the CR500 engine get a 54mm for the left side and you are done.

The Std CRF450 02-04 uses a 49mm on the left and a 54mm on the right, with the CR500 engine swap right to left and get a 59mm for the right side and you are done.

The Std CRF450 05-09 uses a 46mm on the left and a 54mm on the right, with the CR500 engine swap right to left and get a 59mm for the right side and you are done.

The Std CR125 02-07 uses a 54mm on the left and a 59mm on the right, with the CR500 engine you are good to go as is.

The Std CR250 02-07 uses a 49mm on the left and a 54mm on the right, with the CR500 engine swap right to left and get a 59mm for the right side and you are done.

Part# for the 54mm bush is 52142-KZ4-J40, left side of swingarm.

Part# for the 59mm bush is 52141-KZ4-J40, right side of swingarm.

If any of this is incorrect, please let me know so I can change it before any mistakes are made.
Last edited by Rue on August 3rd, 2010, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFC Build link

Rue

Post by Rue »

Getting her ready to take to my welder. Making sure everything fits just right. ;)

Picked her up from the welder yesterday!!! :D :D :D
Don has many years of welding under his belt. What do you guys think??

Last edited by Rue on August 4th, 2010, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFC Build link

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Part# for the 54mm bush is 52142-KZ4-J40, left side of swingarm.

Part# for the 59mm bush is 52141-KZ4-J40, right side of swingarm.

Just grind down the 59mm to 56mm by youself, and your all set

THe 59mm just may squeeze in there as-is. The case bushings are beveled just for this reason... to coax it all together.

Welds look sweet.

Old goats know their way around a Tig torch....

:woot:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Is this really a gap, or just a photo shadow??

If it is a gap, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLT TO CLOSE IT!! Get a thin "AN" type washer to stick in there.

If there is a washer on one side, and not the other... so be it.

Pinching the frame to close the gap raises the natural frequency of it, like tightening a guitar string.

The higher the frequency, the more the bike will buzz.

Everyone says my bike has very low vibes.. even lower than a steelie. Its not the engine... its the install. I shoved washers in every gap before I tightened anything down.

Its very "dead" as far as vibes go, and I attribute it to this assembly method and double headstays.
Rue

Post by Rue »

AlisoBob wrote:Is this really a gap, or just a photo shadow??

If it is a gap, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLT TO CLOSE IT!! Get a thin "AN" type washer to stick in there.

If there is a washer on one side, and not the other... so be it.

Pinching the frame to close the gap raises the natural frequency of it, like tightening a guitar string.

The higher the frequency, the more the bike will buzz.

Everyone says my bike has very low vibes.. even lower than a steelie. Its not the engine... its the install. I shoved washers in every gap before I tightened anything down.

Its very "dead" as far as vibes go, and I attribute it to this assembly method and double headstays.
No it's not a shadow there is a slight gap. I might be able to get two thin washers on each side. Bob I do remember you saying not to tighten it up, I think you said they were also called half washers and could find them at any "true" hardwear store.
AFC Build link

gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

looks sweet old school build having contact with a good skilled welder always helps
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
high velocity

Post by high velocity »

Sweet build! looking foward to riding with you soon!
Rue

Post by Rue »

high velocity wrote:Sweet build! looking foward to riding with you soon!
Thanks Greg, How is Anthonys 500 build coming along?? He's giving the Nova some lovin'. We are going golfing later this evening we'll see if I can get him to fire up the 490 and go for a ride soon.
AFC Build link

Rue

Gas Tank!! Heat Treating 101...

Post by Rue »

I am about to start molding the tank so that it won’t hit the head stay. Here are a few before pictures. If anyone has any tips or if they have taken a heat gun to a tank and would do it a little differently a second time around please let me know. I don’t want to ruin the tank if at all possible…

AFC Build link

asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Tank mods on G1 are so easy....

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... highlight=

Also compliments on an excellent pictorial..........take note guys...this how it's done. :lol:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
Rue

Post by Rue »

asteroid500 wrote:Also compliments on an excellent pictorial..........take note guys...this how it's done. :lol:
Thanks asteroid for the compliment!!! Image
AFC Build link