98' Gen. One AFC Build It's Getting There!!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Rue

Post by Rue »

kevin_s wrote:Way to go Rue,we are going to need a ride report too.
I will give you a full ride report this weekend, and thanks again for the help.
hoofarted wrote:Congrats Dude! Glad you finally got 'er done! Now lets hear some ride reports!
Will do i'll be out there this weekend. Thanks for the help.
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
Rue

Post by Rue »

I got to take her for a ride this weekend :whoop:!!!! She' gonna be bad ass as soon as I can work out the jetting and triple check every bolt again. The stator backing plate bolts backed out. :oops: not a good thing when you are have a blast on your first ride (after break in) but I made it back to the truck before they completely came off (didn't know that was the problem until I got her home and started trouble shooting) I have no issues with the Gen. 1 CR250 frame it actually vibs less than my 01' YZ250 at the pegs, I do feel a lil at the bars but it feels less than or equal to the steelie which you would expect from a 5hundy. I shimmed every engine bolt with a aluminum half washer/AN washer per AlisoBob's heads up. :wink: I truly believe that this has lessened the vibs and created solid mounting points for the engine and has not put stress on the frame by just tightening the bolts to close the gap (I will be doing this to my 01' YZ250).

Having the suspension done by Greg at High Velocity (RaceTech) was the best investment I made during the build, well worth the money! A must for the Gen. 1 hands down. It makes a world of difference having it tuned to your riding ability, weight, ect. I can't wait to put in some serious riding time on the new suspenders!!! :dance:
Last edited by Rue on April 4th, 2012, 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AFC Build link

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
Rue

Post by Rue »

Need help with jetting the PJ Carb.

1988 engine: stock head, jug slightly ported (bought it that way)
Elevation: Approx. 5352 feet above sea level
Now 75 - 85 degrees, Summer: 90-95degrees
Premium Pump Gas 40:1 (AMSOIL - Dominator)

This is how the Carb is set up as of today:
172 Main Jet
55 Pilot Jet
R1368N Needle
3rd clip from the Top
65 Slide

Bike won't idle until operating temp. The Idle adjust/Choke is nearly adjusted all the way up...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:
AFC Build link

hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

DGN Needle for one...did you mess with the air screw?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rue

Post by Rue »

hoofarted wrote:DGN Needle for one...did you mess with the air screw?
2 turns out. I'll try the DGN, is it a different taper? 3rd clip from the top as well?
AFC Build link

ScooterInVegas

Post by ScooterInVegas »

Most of my 500's ran a 172 main at 1900-2000' @ 50-80deg weather. At Coral Pink sand dunes in Ut, it's around 5500-6000', I would run a 165-168 (hot or cold).
Rue

Post by Rue »

ScooterInVegas wrote:Most of my 500's ran a 172 main at 1900-2000' @ 50-80deg weather. At Coral Pink sand dunes in Ut, it's around 5500-6000', I would run a 165-168 (hot or cold).
:cool: I'll try that, any pinging with the 165-168 at the dunes??

I talked to Chad at Sudco today and he said a good rule of thumb is for every 2,000 ft. 1 down on the Main and for every 4,000 ft. 1 down on the Pilot, from the stock jetting as a base line. I will order the 165 to 170 and try the DGN needle.
AFC Build link

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Rue wrote:I got to take her for a ride this weekend :whoop:!!!! She' gonna be bad ass as soon as I can work out the jetting and triple check every bolt again. The stator backing plate bolts backed out. :oops: not a good thing when you are have a blast on your first ride (after break in) but I made it back to the truck before they completely came off (didn't know that was the problem until I got her home and started trouble shooting) I have no issues with the Gen. 1 CR250 frame it actually vibs less than my 01' YZ250 at the pegs, I do feel a lil at the bars but it feels less than or equal to the steelie which you would expect from a 5hundy. I shimmed every engine bolt with a aluminum half washer/AN washer per AlisoBob's heads up. :wink: I truly believe that this has lessened the vibs and created solid mounting points for the engine and has not put stress on the frame by just tightening the bolts to close the gap (I will be doing this to my 01' YZ250).

Having the suspension done by Greg at High Velocity (RaceTech) was the best investment I made during the build, well worth the money! A must for the Gen. 1 hands down. It makes a world of difference having it tuned to your riding ability, weight, ect. I can't wait to put in some serious riding time on the new suspenders!!! :dance:
Nice job Rue,you're supposed to ride the wheels off it,not the stator....LOL
Rue

Post by Rue »

kevin_s wrote:Nice job Rue,you're supposed to ride the wheels off it,not the stator....LOL
I know right!! :lol: :lol: She'll get the wheels rode off as soon as sort out the jetting. I'm going to try 168 Main, 52 Pilot and the DGN needle and hope she runs like a bat out of hell... I was told that I was riding it like my 250 and needed to short shift her to get the most out of her instead of trying to wrap it out. Learning curve i guess... :twisted:
AFC Build link

Rue

Post by Rue »

By day she's daddy's Princess!!

By night she's daddy's lil helper!!

AFC Build link

jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

That's awesome buddy. :cool: Maybe she tried to adjust your timing without telling you. :wink:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Rue

Post by Rue »

jbsleddin wrote:That's awesome buddy. :cool: Maybe she tried to adjust your timing without telling you. :wink:
She has a blast in there with me, so mommy is starting to realize that she'll have a PW50 sooner then later!!! She probably has a better chance of getting the timing right then I do... :lol:
AFC Build link

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Rue wrote:By day she's daddy's Princess!!

By night she's daddy's lil helper!!

That's awesome Dude,she's a little cutie.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Careful around those trouble lights.... they get about 14 bazillion degrees....
Rue

Post by Rue »

AlisoBob wrote:Careful around those trouble lights.... they get about 14 bazillion degrees....
She knows never to touch the the light. "no touch daddy toooo hot, wright daddy" " That's right Bella" I appreciate the concern Bob!! :cool:
AFC Build link

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool: :cool:
Jwisthoff

Re: haven't heard from.you in a long time bro got on here to find my old build post

Post by Jwisthoff »

Rue wrote: March 28th, 2012, 9:06 pm She's finally done boys!!!! I know it's only a gen 1 but when money is tight it’s tight.... :lol: I want to thank all the hoons that have helped me out along the way with their knowledge and parts that made this a reality!!! Hat's off to you boys, no particular order but to name a few...

Anthony Vega
Greg High Velocity Cycles
ShanMan
Roostius Maximus
AlisoBob
Kevin S
Rhino89523
AP
hoofarted
PStoffers
SOLID Bro
Byron909