TGT suspension bars

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

dubious01 wrote: PC Filterskins... outerwears for K&N work even better for knocking dust off, and preventing the filter from absorbing water.
Great advice, I have 6 PC Filter skins, I run 2 per bike at a time...
dubious01 wrote:Also, I use uni filters beacause thay are true 2 layer. Oil the inside, leave the outside dry, this way dust is stopped , but not collected on the outer layer :wink:

TERRIBLE advice, if you dont oil the outter it wont stop shit. The dirt will go straight to the second layer, thats why you THINK the dirt isnt sticking. Also, if you dont use water proof oil the non-oiled parts will absorb water like a sponge...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

M.F.D.B. wrote:
dubious01 wrote:Also, I use uni filters beacause thay are true 2 layer. Oil the inside, leave the outside dry, this way dust is stopped , but not collected on the outer layer :wink:

TERRIBLE advice, if you dont oil the outter it wont stop shit. The dirt will go straight to the second layer, thats why you THINK the dirt isnt sticking. Also, if you dont use water proof oil the non-oiled parts will absorb water like a sponge...
This is true. You can get away with oiling the outside only (not the inside) only at a minimum. Although I am paranoid and lightly oil the inside too. Then make sure you grease the lip upon installation. :cool:

Back to the topic somewhat - has anyone used/heard of this:

Tru Technologies Ride Control Clamp

Theres one on fleabay right now for $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Although the manufacturer is out of business, it did receive good reviews:
http://www.dirtrider.com/gear/141_0411_ ... index.html

Seems like a good idea and I want to try it on my Gen2 but don't have an extra $200 laying around...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:
dubious01 wrote: PC Filterskins... outerwears for K&N work even better for knocking dust off, and preventing the filter from absorbing water.
Great advice, I have 6 PC Filter skins, I run 2 per bike at a time...

I can see your point. I never had issue with dirt in my carb or boot upon inspections over the years, but i don't live in the desert either, and its not nearly as dusty here as it is in Nevada...
As for water, well we do have plenty of deep crossings, the coarse uni outer filter didn't seem to absorb much water at all, and the inner oiled layer repelled the water.

Maybe I got lucky, MDFB brings good points, and I do agree with what he is saying.

I have used outerwears on my other machines, and I have to say i prefer them over the PC1 filterskins, they really repel water, and the dust knocks right off them, they don't need to be changed nearly as often as the PC1's

Are you guys using float bowl vent filters? I like the looks of the Pro Circuit ones but have never had one in my hand to inspect.

What about the load mouth filters? any experience?
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Looks like an attempt to recreate Fasstco Flexx Bars at the cost of causing a slight bar rotation. Problem is with the company out of business you wont be able to get warranty/repair or replacement part support...

Cool idea tho...

I think a straight up and down motion would have been preferable. By moving the shock absorption to the clamps is nice as long as they are durable. Its cheaper to replace a basic set of fat bars than it is to replace bent Flexx Bars...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

dubious01 wrote:
I can see your point. I never had issue with dirt in my carb or boot upon inspections over the years, but i don't live in the desert either, and its not nearly as dusty here as it is in Nevada...
I usually get a super super fine "dust" coat on my inner air boot. So fine it feels like graphite lubricant. This is using Maxima FFT (the best) and soaking then sueezing out the inne and outter layer UNI AND using a PC Filter. Some dust is so fine it can get through anything. But this stuff is so fine and minimal it shouldnt cause any measurable wear. I dont loos sleep over it... :lol:
dubious01 wrote: I have used outerwears on my other machines, and I have to say i prefer them over the PC1 filterskins, they really repel water, and the dust knocks right off them, they don't need to be changed nearly as often as the PC1's
Dry outter wears are awesome but they dont make them for foam filter setups (that im aware of, I could be wrong) only for K&N type filters, I think because on a foam filter they would just stick to the filter and become oiled anyways. After seeing the dust get through foam filters I sure as hell wouldnt consider a gauze type filter...
dubious01 wrote: Are you guys using float bowl vent filters? I like the looks of the Pro Circuit ones but have never had one in my hand to inspect.
I thought about it as a precaution but I have never seen any dirt make its way up to the carb...
dubious01 wrote: What about the load mouth filters? any experience?
Zero, for me...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

100 for a respring sounds cheap 200 a end here
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

M.F.D.B. wrote: I usually get a super super fine "dust" coat on my inner air boot. So fine it feels like graphite lubricant. This is using Maxima FFT (the best) and soaking then sueezing out the inne and outter layer UNI AND using a PC Filter.

I've ridden a whole weekend out at Goman ( Hungry Valley). This is like riding on 10 square miles of talcum powder.

I've never seen any "dust" in my intake boot... ever.

I always use the Bel-Ray super sticky / goooy blue oil.

I was going to give the Maxima a try after all the good comments about it... no fuckin way now.

Bel-Ray for life....
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Nothing ive tried is stickier than FFT, I have used it as a temporary glue to stick an airfilter seal on to an air box (street bike). The fine dust was so light the only way I knew it was there is I bumped it with my knuckle removing the filter and noticed the "clean spot". I'd be willing to bet most people have the same super light coating and dont ever notice it. Cant be too damaging, my motor is tits after 5 years... :wink:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its sat for 4 of the 5
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote:Its sat for 4 of the 5
LOL yeah right...

1000 hours MINIMUM...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

maybe mfdb had other issues because i can guarantee you FFT is....
WAY STICKIER
easier to get a even coat/ less "working it in" so your filters will last longer because you arent wringing the shit out of it trying to get an even coat
the only downside i can see is being mixed with something that evaporates a bottle wont last quite as long
and i do have both sitting in my room and am halfway thru both, but the bel ray is backup in case i run out of FFT

fft leaves "spider webs" of oil in between your hands, bel ray dosent
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Yeah the other brands of filter oil I have tried didnt "web" either. Thats why I think the super fine dust is much more common than people realize. You really cant expect a filter to catch stuff that is only a couple microns in size. Nor does something that small pose much of a threat anyways...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee