PC type 296????

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
2strokeforever

PC type 296????

Post by 2strokeforever »

i have a PC type 296 spark arrestor silencer, and i would like to know if i am loosing power from it. its pretty loud, louder than my 125 with a shorty
i repack it properly every 2-3 rd ride with pink insulation

if its loud does that mean im not losing power????

the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

you repackit every 2 to 3 rides? Is that what you meant? thats a bit OCD me thinks!
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Lets see here. Me New since 05, never repacked it. :shock:

The piston is three times the size. So it should be ten times as loud.

Problem solved. :lol:

Sorry for being such an idiot, just having some fun.

As I understand it, rap it tight and get as much in there as pos....
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the reason i repack it so much is because on my 80 / 125 it made a HUGE diffrence in low end torque... yes they were jetted right and crank seals were good, but i cant notice anything on the 500, maybe it dosent mater on the 500, i cant notice it, or it spins so much i cant notice the extra power
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

get some silent sport string type packing and repack it every 100 hours or so

OR

continue to work for $0.25 per hour and use free pink crap
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the pink stuff is EXACTLY the same as any FMF packing i have ever seen at the dealership... and new pink insulation is waaay better than fancy stuff that is full of spooge

on my 80 i used the FMF stuff a few times and i could tell when it was dead, and it lasted just as long as insulation... the only diference is it was $10 a repack instead of 0

back to the original question does the PC silencer rob power?
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Insulation that is used in a wall to keep you warm is not the same as the stuff you use in a silencer. The cheap stuff won't take the heat and will blow out real quick.

Yes a blown out silencer is loosing power. messes the jetting up too,
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i dont know how you pack your silencer but i dont have any insulation getting blown out... or heat damage

the unburnt oil making the packing into a giant turd is what looses power, or if its getting blown out because you cant pack it right that will loose you even more
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

seanmx57 wrote:Insulation that is used in a wall to keep you warm is not the same as the stuff you use in a silencer. The cheap stuff won't take the heat and will blow out real quick.

Yes a blown out silencer is loosing power. messes the jetting up too,
i took apart a new fmf powercore2 and im certain it was nothing more than average fiberglass insulation. took apart a PC also, seems like it was 304 model or something like that. i think it was a synthetic fiber crap, probly the special packing you speak of.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the fancy "asbestos" mat that came on my bike was soaked in spooge after 2 rides, because of crappy jetting... and somehow it had heat damage, jetted rich too :roll:
pink insulation has held up so far tho
4stroke=dead fish
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you need to work on your jetting if you have that much unburned oil soaking up your silencer. I would start with the needle.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

pink bats insulate houses
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

The pink stuff may look the same, but it's just looks. The melting temp is 500 or more degrees higher on the good stuff.

With a carb running well a silent sport pack with last a VERY long time, at least 20X over cheap house insulation.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

got the dgn needle today :D
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

does anyone have any tips on how to get the center perforated piece to lineup with the end cap on a spark arrestor when puting it back together??

i stick my finger up there and line it upon a normal silencer, but the spark arestor gets in the way
4stroke=dead fish