Grease? and rebuilding

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
NightBiker07

Grease? and rebuilding

Post by NightBiker07 »

Well, i tore apart my suspension, cleaned and lubricated it before i started riding this season. the bearings were loose, i was only prolonging replacing them until i could get the Pivot Works kits. well, i have about 10 hours since the lubrication, and ALL the grease was crap. hard, washed away. some of it is most likely due to the seals being crap as well, but still.

I have all the Pivot Works kits, and i have 2 questions.

One, being what kind of grease should i use?

second, to they sometimes include crap that isnt used, or is different than OEM? i ask because the 00-01 CR250 swingarm kit has a few pieces that werent in the swinger upon disassembly.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Pics of the "extra" pieces may be in order.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

MojoScojo wrote:Image

ImageImage Mojo.....

An my $.02 Pivot Works :piss:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

pstoffers wrote:
MojoScojo wrote:Image

ImageImage Mojo.....

An my $.02 Pivot Works :piss:
Lotsa things I don't know. That one I know.

x2 on the Pivot works. OEM is worth the extra money three fold.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Well, next time i rebuild, i will have to try OEM.

it seems that someone before me has molested the suspension, there were plenty of missing pieces, according to the parts breakdown. i swear, some people dont know shit. it all seemed to be there when i tore it apart to grease it the last few times, so i never bothered to check the manual.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

NightBiker07 wrote: it seems that someone before me has molested the suspension, there were plenty of missing pieces, according to the parts breakdown. i swear, some people dont know shit.

I've lost count how many times I've encountered that! Some assholes should have their tool boxes welded shut for the stupid shit they do!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

missing parts aint nuthin. wait until you get a bike with some broken bolts half way into the clutch hub :lmao:. and the PO tries to drill it out but cant and fucks up the threads. hopes of salvaging the basket are grim but can be done sometimes with 10000:1 odds :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted wrote:Some assholes should have their tool boxes welded shut for the stupid shit they do!
:sheepviolate:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

anyone see the clown on TT that beat his crank out with a hammer ? it was classic :lol:
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

100hp honda wrote:anyone see the clown on TT that beat his crank out with a hammer ? it was classic :lol:
HEY! Ive used my hammer more often than i should.....

as for goofs....i tried to press out the bearing from the piece listed below.....i smashed the piece.....turns out they HAVE to be PULLED out......:oops:

the arm-piece, not the 3 holed knuckle.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

100hp honda wrote:anyone see the clown on TT that beat his crank out with a hammer ? it was classic :lol:
They all seem to like to remove there cranks with hammers over there, I was called a dumb ass because I told a guy that it was a bad idea to hit the crank with anything because it knocks it out of true..... I guess we'll see who the real dumb ass is when his bike blows up :roll: :lol:
-Jake

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

that is 99% of the reason I bought a brand new bike... no one had a chance to fuck it up yet.
the '89 donor I had was covered in framing hammer waffle marks since some dbag thought that is how you work on a bike. :roll:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:...the '89 donor I had was covered in framing hammer waffle marks since some dbag thought that is how you work on a bike. :roll:
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

dannygraves wrote:that is 99% of the reason I bought a brand new bike... no one had a chance to fuck it up yet.
the '89 donor I had was covered in framing hammer waffle marks since some dbag thought that is how you work on a bike. :roll:
I bought all my smaller bikes brand new, but the guy I bought my 250 used from worked right next to a yamaha dealer and had them service everything even changing the oil, he even gave me all the receipts and every dirtbike magazine from the year of my bike to help dial it in. as for my 500 I bought it with very low hours on original everything, even had the stock tires.
-Jake

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I put an hour meter on the last time I serviced my linkage. at 16 hours and only 1 semi-muddy day the bearings on the lower shock mount were dry and overdue on a regrease.

What's wrong with pivot works stuff. Never used em before. I always figured grease is cheaper.
ischilk299

Post by ischilk299 »

I always regrease the pivot works sealed bearings when I get them, they are always on the dry side new.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

If you use a soft dead blow hammer you are not going to hurt anything. I have even seen in a couple different OEM SERVICE MANUALS (RMZ450 for one) to do this. If you can run a crank out of true with a dead blow you definitely need to have your tool box welded shut! Anyone who has pressed a crank together can tell you this. It takes an ENORMOUS hydraulic press to put together or take apart and truing the crank with a hammer requires a large amount of force in a completely different axis than "tapping" a crank out exerts.

I have used PW and All Balls for wheel bearings and never had any issues nor can I tell you any difference in quality between them, only cost. I only use OEM bearings/seals/gaskets in engines, they are much harder to change and much more costly if they fail!
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee