toyota question

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
100hp honda

toyota question

Post by 100hp honda »

anyone know how the differential locker works in the tacoma TRD models ? im assuming its electric ? aparently theres a button on the dash from what i understand.
tacoma69

Post by tacoma69 »

ive had a couple of them, they work great. yes they are electric.
if everything seems to be under control, ur not going fast enuf!
britincali

Post by britincali »

^ Yup.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Yep, like they said it's an E- locker
Toyota has wired it so it will only lock in 4wd-Lo but you can do the "grey wire mod" so that it will lock anytime and do some nice Dohnuts!

here is a write up
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/greywire_mod/
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the grey wire mod looks bitchin. i can understand toyota wanting the locker idiot proof. otherwise there would certainly be people running it engaged down the highway at 70mph :lol:
tacoma69

Post by tacoma69 »

100hp honda wrote:the grey wire mod looks bitchin. i can understand toyota wanting the locker idiot proof. otherwise there would certainly be people running it engaged down the highway at 70mph :lol:
lol....i guess im one of those people. i installed one of toyotas e-lockers on a old toyota of mine and never hooked up the wires for like a month. drove it down the highway to work everyday. never had a problem with it!!! made a neat squealing sound everytime i went around a corner :D
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

is it easy to change the timing belt and waterpump on the '00-'04 with 3.4 engine ? dealer wants $1000 for parts and labor.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Not easy but not horrific either.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

my grey wire modded 2000 TRD spun some nice Doughnuts with the locker engaged in 2WD. Good times! :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

picked up a '04 tacoma saturday. 53,000 miles. dont think its been off road yet :shock:
tacoma69

Post by tacoma69 »

100hp honda wrote:picked up a '04 tacoma saturday. 53,000 miles. dont think its been off road yet :shock:
boy, do i have a deal for you! i bought a street scene speed grill for my old 04 tacoma and sold it before i installed it. still in the box. if ur intrested let me know.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i dont know man. aparantly a 70yo man owned this thing and its like the day it rolled from the show room floor. not sure i can bring myself to start messing with it :D . is it a special grille or what does it do ?
tacoma69

Post by tacoma69 »

100hp honda wrote:i dont know man. aparantly a 70yo man owned this thing and its like the day it rolled from the show room floor. not sure i can bring myself to start messing with it :D . is it a special grille or what does it do ?
it is a very special grille. you will get better gas milage, and a higher top speed!!!!! lol....sorry, just had to. its brushed aluminum and i think it looks better then stock. just go to street scenes web page and look up speed grilles. if you want it, its urs for $50.
MICK

Post by MICK »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:Toyota has wired it so it will only lock in 4wd-Lo but you can do the "grey wire mod" so that it will lock anytime and do some nice Dohnuts!
Say what?? The Taco you say...sure you're not talking about the Frontier?

The Taco will lock in 2WD...and stay locked until you disengage it. All the PreRunners would be in some serious trouble if they had to be in 4WD to lock the rear axle :lol:

...unless Toyota wired the 4x4s differently than the PreRunners? But how stupid would that be?

*edit* Apparently really stupid!

I read your link ZETTNORCAL :wink:
I own a 2001 PreRunner. The locker works at any speed, any gear, forward or reverse.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

theres a sticker on the door panel of mine, says something like the locker only works in 4low if i remeber correct. i havent tried to push the button in 2wd yet so im not sure. i may have to do the grey wire mod. looks like a easy 20min job. any side affects from doing the mod ? i would hate for it to short out some other electric circuit.

mine has the stupid day time running lights. i found if you pull the e-brake to the first notch they will stay off but its a pain in the ass doing that everytime. i seen theres a box under the dash that says day time running lights on it, wonder if i can just unplug the wires ? anyone know how to turn them stupid day lights off ?
MICK

Post by MICK »

Hmm...that just stinks :?

Thought about it for a minute and realized I've never used the locker in a 4WD Taco. I just assumed it was no different than the Prerunner models like mine...WTF? That's lame.

Girlfriend was driving it the other day, she calls me..."the truck keeps bouncing whenever I go around a corner?" :roll:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?