ASK DIETER!!!(Criticism or Motor Questions for Rosco)

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Rosco-Peeko

ASK DIETER!!!(Criticism or Motor Questions for Rosco)

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 8453#98453

Go ahead and post them here!!! Lemme know your thoughts. Got a better idea....huh...lemme hear the shit!!! This is for you guys! Not for me....I can rip a motor out of the frame and split cases and have it back in the frame in a afternoon. I am here for you guys/all hoons.

Please do not post in the overhaul thread itself....all replies go here.
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

damn nice work there on that engine overhaul.
tell me, what was the cause (and do you have pics) of all the gbox oil looking so metallic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/ ... C00049.jpg
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

I am sure it was a combination of stock Honda clutch plates; which is known to muddy tranny fluid and most of bearings being done (loose in bores).

Thanks for the comments on my thread. Roosty is going to add a few things then I'll wrap this thread up. I am going to have a "in the frame" top end part as well....and a compression check.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Here are a few of my thoughts.

finding 2 bolts to work with the el cheapo steering wheel puller can be difficult. The long 6mm bolt that holds the front sprocket (countershaft) guard is perfect, so all you need is an extra from another CR5 motor.

If you are pulling the motor down due to a topend failure a leak down test before pulling the read block would be invaluable. Somewhere, I think in a sticky it talks about them and doing them every 20 hours on a race motor I think. Lot's of guys don't even know what a leak down test is. Even if there is not a top end failure it is a good test to see if any gaskets were getting bad.

I made a homemade one for like $10. Hogged out a sparkplug by removing the porcelin, soldered a piece of pipe in the hole. Connect a hose to a low pressure gauge(10 or 15 psi range) and to the pipe. Hose works best rather than mechanical fitting in tight fiting AFC's for doing them in frame.
Then all you need is 2 plumbers plugs and a way to pressurize the motor with a bicycle pump to 7 PSI. A Tee fitting on the spark plug can work. I used a few increasers that go from a snifter thread to the carb size. Then I wrap the threads that insert into the rubber carb boot with a bit of electrical tape to seal them and get the right size for the clamp to make a good seal.

When I spilt my cases all I had to do was crank on the puller and take a rubber mallet and whack the final drive shaft. I built a wooden jig to support the right case while doing this so I don't damage the gasket surface. No spackle knife, that makes me cringe. :shock:

I have pics of a boyesen RAD if you want em. Still got my tranny apart so if you want pics of questionable gears and good gears can do that too. I dimpled my center cases and used hondabond. that honda bond is great. Got pics of my dimpling as well.

sean
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

This will be a quicky reply...gotta be down stairs for a meeting in a few.

1) For the bolts, I went to a plain-jane hardware store that sells bolts and nuts. Got the correct metric size and long enough. Then 2 each large washers to keep the head from pulling through the puller.

2) Spackle knife has a minimal play in splitting cases. As you said a mallet and a puller. However, the spackle knife has a large surface area. It would be difficult to damage a sealing surface with it...unless you were to to be twisting it...then that large safe surface area has turned into a knife edge that will mar.....might as well use a screwdriver.

3) Would love pics of your Rad Valve!!! I will add them in and modify the existing post.

4) Want to be my guinea pig? I can leave a section for you on leak-down test. Yes? No? I am adding a compression check later in the thread. The two would go hand in hand.

Instead of me behind the wheel on this one. I would like you guys to become involved in this thread. This is for you guys. Got idea's? Lets hear em.......
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

me good helper.

shoot me an email at seanmx57@yahoo.com
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i might be able to help with the leak down test as i have some spare time coming up and have already built all the equipment necessary.

the only problems are the quality of my camera. its only a mobile phone one and to be honest im too tight to lash out on a camera that i wont use again. but if your happy with the average pictures then i might be able to do it.wont be for a few weeks though.

these are the quality of pics.pretty average but.
im going to be doing quite a few things to the bike over the next month so ill get some good pics and do a squish band thread and a leak down test. ill post them up when completed and your free to edit it or add some input.
Last edited by thestuz on April 15th, 2010, 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Sweet! You guys ROCK!!!!! :cool: I am in Long Beach right now on business. So I cannot get too deep into this until Thursday when I get back home. Think of an approach and how YOU would like to be displayed in the thread. Like I said, "It all for you guys." You got idea's? Become part of the thread. I dont have all of the answers...more minds pooled together equals a better product.

Sean, I sent you a PM. Stuz......gimme what you got.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

That is quite interesting Stuz! Sean is working on a method already. However, I would like to use yours as well. The more idea's the better....get it? Sean will have his post as will you. Thanks man!

Alcon, I have tweaked the rebuild thread a hair. I have added some inspection criteria from the good book. Good idea...bad?

Again, got an idea? Easier method? Lets friggen hear it! If it sucks....Bob will send you this in the mail. The dog puttin in overtime!
http://www.mailpoop.com/

Seriously...got something...lets hear it. Will gladly give you part ownership in the thread. With that comes pride and good work.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I made this leak down tester for my CR250.
Found it on another site.
I haven't tried it on the big boy yet.
The parts are from Home Depot except the expansion plug, Advance Auto.
I've been getting into the wrenching more and more.
It occurred to me something like this existed because Motion Pro has an expensive tester.
Anyway, leakdown testing before and after a rebuild. Simple.

I'll edit this post after I hook it up to the 500.

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

That gauge goes to 30psi.

Careful hotrod, there isnt much purchase holding that center case gasket in place.....

Tread lightly.....

:wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

found some sand going up the carb vents damn near to the top. pulled carb apart and luckily none made it to the carb. cleaned the hoses and was thinking of putting a sliver of foam or something at the bottom. what you think rosco ?
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Yeah, a foot pump isn't likely to shoot it to 30 quickly like an air tank. There doesn't seem to be an exact number to check but the concenus seems to be 6-8 psi 10 minutes.
All I know is, the less psi loss the better.
100HP, I have an inline fuel checkvalve on my fuel cap breather tube. That would work on ventlines wouldn't it?
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

100hp honda wrote:found some sand going up the carb vents damn near to the top. pulled carb apart and luckily none made it to the carb. cleaned the hoses and was thinking of putting a sliver of foam or something at the bottom. what you think rosco ?
Silver foam? Dont think I have ever heard of it. Did a quick search, one was a malt beverage and the others were facial crap.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

SLIVER Ron, not silver

If you got air suckin' up those vents, you got other issues....
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

100hp honda wrote:found some sand going up the carb vents damn near to the top. pulled carb apart and luckily none made it to the carb. cleaned the hoses and was thinking of putting a sliver of foam or something at the bottom. what you think rosco ?
Sorry, misread your post the first time....was waking up. I may have a better application for you.... I have to go to work. I'll reply back tonight.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i set the float to where it supposed to be. doesnt fload or bog. needle/seat work fine. only thing i cant think is the vent tube comes rolled up and when i put in on it was slightly bent forward toward the front of the bike below the swingarm linkage. possibly the front tire and air is kicking sand into the tubes ? ill re position them so their facing more towards the rear. foam might still be a good idea also unless rosco has a better idea.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

a little sand in the bottom end never hurt anyone.. ask danny how much was in my motor when we tore it apart!! btw that was alllll crap airfilters lettin that in.. was using those ready filters changed them every weekend and yup still let crap thru.. went to the no-toil pre-oiled no problems after that.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC