Ed Brown Custom 1911's

Send your stuff here, to companies you can trust!!!!!
Rosco-Peeko

Ed Brown Custom 1911's

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Here recently, I was in the market for a good concealed gun. I have my concealed carry permit and wanted to polish it off with a solid gun. Thus, I made the trek to the local gun shop I frequent.

I handled Sig's, Springfields, Glocks (I already have one G22), Rugers, some felt pretty good in the hand. I slide on down the counter and laid eyes on the 1911's. This perked my interest, I have always had an affinity toward the 1911. Been through many wars and after "almost" 100 years...they still are the shit.

I farted around with a few...felt cool and good in the hands. I noticed some Commander Sized (4.25") ones for concealed carry. One caught my eye....the intricacy of the work. I asked to handle it.....its was an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. It was nothing short of orgasmic and with the bobbed-tail the fit was perfect!

Match-Grade Barrel, Bushing and Trigger. The slide to frame was very tight. The barrel and the bushing were also a very tight fit...maybe a thousandth or so clearance. The color of the double diamond Cocobolo stocks is very nice. Instead of the common checkering on the fore and backstrap it has a reptilian scale like stippling called snake skin. It also uses the same design on the slide versus the straight cocking serrations. It came standard with Trijicon Night Sights and Ambi-Safety. The trigger breaks at a crisp 3-4 pounds. Plus its all hand-made in the good ole USA!

After much research, I dropped the cash on it and brought it home. I have already put about 650 rounds through it to break it in. Everything about it is smooth and it shoot's better than I can. After a bit more practice on my grip....I should be able to tear the kill-zone out of a target at 25 yards (standing in a modified weaver). I am shooting low and to the left (milking). Getting better....shooting nice groups.

Cooling off at the Army range:

Doing better....

Now alls I want to do is shoot 1911's...... The Glock just sits in the safe. While its a good gun.....I may sell it.
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

1911 is as american as apple pie.....

Nice Rob!!!
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

Once you handle a quality 1911, the trigger on everything else feels like crap! How many rounds have you got through it now Rob?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: Ed Brown Custom 1911's

Post by AlisoBob »

Rosco-Peeko wrote: I have already put about 650 rounds through it to break it in. Everything about it is smooth and it shoot's better than I can.
:headbang:
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Slomo wrote:Once you handle a quality 1911, the trigger on everything else feels like crap! How many rounds have you got through it now Rob?
Prolly around 650-700. Just did the first detailed strip. I have not had much time to make it out the range the past two weekends. Been practicing with snap caps and my grip....which has been helping me.

Last time I went out, a buddy was shooting my Glock. I gave it a quick dance.....felt sloppy and loose. Still a good gun....eats anything I feed it.
durkn

Post by durkn »

Nice 1911.

Try the HK-45 too.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

I thought about the HK's. Tried the Sig's as well. The 1911 above just felt right in my hands. If I get another....its will be a 1911...Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer or Volkmann.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dad has a gold cup colt, i've never tried another semi acp.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Gold Cups are nice. I may snag one for my Dad. Or a Model 70 Colt.
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

I've got a Glock 22 (.40 S&W). I treat mine considerably better than in the afore link. It eats anything I run through it, pretty accurate and goes bang each time I pull the trigger. Had it since 05 and have cycled somewhere over 3K rounds through it.

Unfortunately, once I start shooting 1911's......they are all I want to shoot. I love the .45! My Ed Brown shoots better than I can......a fine weapon. The color scheme on the Cocobolo stocks are beautiful in the sun.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Freaking beautiful day up here in the PNW. I have not shot in over a month...so I took the 1911 out for practice or ballistic masturbation per Massad Ayoob.

Still this gun shoots better than I can. But I am improving... I found a problem with my shooting and corrected and shot better.....whats not to like?

I am use to shooting in an Weaver Stance...feels good and the result at 25 yards.

I swapped to a Isosceles Stance and tried again...much improved.. Enough to shatter an intruders breast plate....nighty nite.

Slapped another sticky target over the holes and tried again with a warm/fouled barrel:

Those .45 slugs leave big damned holes...tears targets up quick.

More shots after a good cleaning. I have put around 800 rounds through her:
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

Rosco-Peeko wrote:
The color scheme on the Cocobolo stocks are beautiful in the sun.

Chrome dont get ya home......

sorry, im a die hard glock guy.... Im all about durability and like you said... It going bang when it needs to.

that 1911 and ones alike are fine peices of work no doubt.
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

I have a handgun or two, for me it's the 1911 all the way.
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

r1yfz wrote:Chrome dont get ya home......
There is no chrome on my gun unless your referring to my match grade barrel/bushing? The rest of the gun is blued. A Glock, yep it goes bang....its loose and sloppy as hell. Take a crap in it....spray some butt piss in the barrel...its loose enough to accommodate....kinda like an AK.

My 1911 is nice and tight after close to 900 rounds and is guaranteed to group in an eyeball at 25 yards...hence it shoots better than I can. You can run my gun over...pick it up and it will shoot. A Glock, you'll be left with a slide and foul language and sharp sticks. A 1911 feels natural in the hand and sits level. A Glock feels good as well but barrel is not level it sits high. Plus mine is all metal except for the stocks so I can pistol whip someone into next Sunday.

Being that I have been to "The Suck" (The AOR, Sandbox, Middle East). I would rather have my 1911 on my hip. That is my "opinion." Go low ready on someone in condition 1 (hammer cocked) and they see the 1911 and the large diameter at the end of the barrel.....they will likely submit. A .45 JHP opens up to almost 3/4 of an inch....thats a big damned incentive not to be a fuck-face. I chose the American Classic.

Shooting WWB 230 gr FMJ, I have had zero misfeeds or jams. That is with a Wilson Combat Mag and EB Standard Mag. My carry load is Winchester Ranger 230 JHP.....nasty bugger.

My next pistol...need to deploy to fund it...in a toss up:
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=33
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_elite2.asp
http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=125

Combat Elite:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7- ... STOLS.aspx#

As Slomo said, a good 1911 w/ trigger....all else is crap. All's I want to shoot is 1911's now. Need a 5" to complete the collection.
Motorrad

Post by Motorrad »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:dad has a gold cup colt, i've never tried another semi acp.
I should let you shoot my Les Baer SRP with "extra" work...

Never shot a nicer 1911... makes a gold cup feel like a tin cup...

:shock: