Rekluse Z start Pro - the cats ass!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kdizzle

Rekluse Z start Pro - the cats ass!

Post by kdizzle »

I rode another member here's AF (maverick27) and he was equipped with a rekluse, I really like the way it worked with the 500, seemed to prevent all stalling, and allowed you to dial in that perfect amount of power whenever needed. So I ended up buying one for myself and have had it installed for about 2 weeks now and all I can say is I am really impressed. a quality product IMO.

I ride my bike (04 CRF 450 conversion) 99.9% MX and have always struggled with a few aspects of the 500, first off the stalling. it seemd the more agressive I rode the bike the more apt I was to stall it. I stepped up to a magura Hydraulic clutch and all new clutch components which helped, but didn't completely alleviate the problem. The rekluse fixed this issue Permanently.

The other issue I had was dialing in that perfect amount of throttle in certain situations. For instance, I had problems staying in the ruts when cornering, and I was alwyas feathering the clutch looking for that perfect drive, often dialing in too much or too little power, hurting my forward drive and subsequent laptimes. the rekluse allows you to get on the throttle earlier and really use your right hand to balance the bike, SWEET! it also was very beneficial on the flat slippery corners.

I can pull the "override" with my pinky all day long, never getting tired, I bet the pull is way less than 5 LBs. maybe 2? it also allows you to keep all your fingers on the bar more, thus reducing arm pump drastically for me. the override works great and you can still pop the clutch , or slip it if you need. works perfectly in that regard.

Now there are plenty of bikes that I would not want this setup on, maybe you wouldnt benefit as much in the sand? or on a small 2 smoke? but i tell you what this should have been standard equipment from the factory on the big CR.

I have been somewhat struggling to keep up with my bros on the track on this bike, mostly due fatigue, armpump and stalling. I have say with 100% certainty that this is one worthy mod, and overall the best money spend on the CR500, yes even better than the Aluminum conversion. ( bold statement I know)

If you got the means $$ I say throw your wallet at it and you will enjoy the bike that much more.

My bike is no longer the "torture rack" it was a few weeks ago. Now i look forward to the ride and am able to exploit the advantages of the 500 on the MX track.

Kdizzle
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

You know, there may be another advantage I just thought about.
If you had to tap the rear brake over a jump to drop the front end, the Reckluse would keep from killing the engine right?
btw-How much was it? And, is body position just as critical when coming out of a corner to keep the front end down? How exactly does it affect "the hit" of a 500 coming into the powerband?
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

you know that is another advantage that I have been using, hauling in the 500 clutch when you need to brake tap in the air has stalled the bike and almost thrown me over the bars when landing mutiple times... the rekluse stops all that nonsense. the clutch is faster than you are and will not let the bike stall!

Body position is basically the same, if your jetted correctly just turn the throttle to dial in the amount of power you want. the thing comes with adjustment springs and additional Tungsten Balls to control how fast or slow the clutch locks up. it has tons of adjustment. Overall it makes the hit of the 5 easier to handle and can be tuned to your riding. right now i have it set to medium RPM hard engagement. Basically it locks straight up right after the RPm s come up off idle.

it cost me right around 700$ to my door, a bit of change but man i feel it is worth every penny.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I love my pro too. Look around on the web, $560 is about the best I was able to do.

I'm running 12 TC balls with the same spring set up as you. 6 TC's made it a bit too mellow for my tastes at low rpms.

I absolutely love the way you can run a gear high and feather the clutch to bring it into warp speed without losing traction. It's hard to describe to someone that has not ridden with one. I just touch the clutch lever a little bit, maybe 1/2 " in while a bit under the hard pulling power rpm on corner exits and trying to acceleralte hard. Without touching the clutch with my set up it basically acts like a normal CR500 just with more traction and smoother from the cltuch. But when you pull it in the 1/2 " and let it out with NO finesse needed, it is still smooth and got lots of traction but the motor comes into the power and she pulls like U R in a video game.

To pull it in the 1/2" Is about the same as pulling a normal well lubed clutch cable with the cable not attached to the motor. basically like nothing is there.

Pay attention to your oil. Mine is producing a LOT of metal in the oil. I've torn the motor down to the tranny looking for the source but have not had time to inspect everything yet.

rotella 15/40 RULES.............thanks bob :wink: plus rekluse recommends rotella too.

My corner entrance speed has gotten considerably better with the rekluse as well. Sounds silly I know. Just try hold her on 1/2 second more and see what you are up against. Not having to even think about the clutch while decending is waaaaay cool. Just focusing on the brakes and making the line takes all my attention when going deeper than my normal semi insane entrance.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Damn, I have 3 bikes. I can't afford to get hooked on that! I had that money earmarked for other stuff!
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I hear ya. I'm adding a gncc bike to the fleet. I got the rekluse here in the classifeds for $350 just keep your eyes open.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Gonna go broke because of you fuckers.... :D But it sounds perfect for what I need!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Tommy_J

Post by Tommy_J »

I can't think of a significant downside. For MX on a 500 the Rekluse rules. It helps keep you from getting tired. Corner entries, exits and starts are awesome.
CR500 Shifter Kart + Gen 3 AF
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Congrats, you are now officially ruined for life, just like me!! :wink:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

OK for those of us not in the know or living in another country , could you please tell us what a Rekluz IS.... :roll:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

asteroid500 wrote:OK for those of us not in the know or living in another country , could you please tell us what a Rekluz IS.... :roll:
http://www.rekluse.com/zstart.shtml
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

So what's the difference between the Z Start and the Core? The $$$ for the Core is a lot more. I've been racing Hare Scrambles and the biggest problem i've had is stalling the 450. I've thought of a flywheel weight or a steel basket but for the money i'd spend on that why not spend a little more and get the Z start. I would really like to ride one before pulling the trigger, this stalling the bike shit is really costing me some wins.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I have ridden a core but have read a lot about them. The core EXP is a lot like a normal clutch except you can't stall it. The pro can be tuned to have many different personalities.

The guys at rekluse are awesome, call them and they will answer ?'s with no BS

I found one major problem with my rekluse pro. If your kill switch malfuntions you have to ride until you are out of gas or figure out a way to stall it by messing with the carb or yanking a plug wire :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After I put my CR250 ignition on the kill switch failed at southwick. which was fine till I got back to the pits and wanted a break.

Oh yeah no bump starting either. she will just coast until the motor is running.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

I put the core exp in my daughters yz250. She absolutly loves it. I looked and they don't make the core for the 500, at least not yet. The advantage of the core is it is much more simple to install and adjust. Also, while the pro is wonderful, there are times when you want to use the clutch it isn't always consistent with the feel. Motor has to be spinning pretty fast to feel normal. The core will feel just like normal at any engine speed. With that said, when it comes time for a new clutch in the 500 i'll be spending the extra bucks for a rekluse.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

The core also has a much more aggressive engagement and is really meant mostly to keep the bike from stalling and not really as an auto clutch. If you have trouble trying to get a Rekluse out of the "States" we ship them internationally all the time, unofficially... :wink:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Hillbilly500

Post by Hillbilly500 »

Just so you know.. the crf450 and cr500 are identical in every way.. my crf and cr500 every part will interchange.. Both are pro's.. why Rekluse advertises them with different part numbers I have no idea.. Marketing I guess.. I have emailed them about it and they won't reply.. :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

$100 says one part # costs more than the other, this way they can make more money.
This would be the reason they won't reply, they don't want anyone to know. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

All the same price according to the site, If I had the $ I think I would pull the trigger on it Fuking great idea
Hillbilly500

Post by Hillbilly500 »

I won't own another dirt bike without one..... Just takes riding dirtbikes to a whole nother level of fun!!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I could really get into that man, I'll tell you what.
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

I need my bike to not stall period. The only problem i have with the Core is the $$$$, if I had the dollars falling out my ass i'd buy one today. So with that said, who has a used Core they don't need anymore and I'm also open for sponserships (hint hint) I don't know if I want to learn to ride an "auto" I like to use the clutch, have been for over 30 yrs. Why change now? Guess I'll start saving and maybe, just maybe in a year or so I can get one. HORRAY
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I had carpal tunnel a few years ago had it fixed but knuckles still get achey after a while one less thing to have to mess with, but from what I have read you can still use the clutch you just dont have too if you dont want
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

hagendog wrote: have been for over 30 yrs. Why change now?
If youve been wiping your ass with your fingers for 30 years and someone showed you toilet paper you'd turn it down? :roll:

Im seriously considering the "dual brake system w/clutch override"...having a hand brake would be the finishing touch to my 2 wheel lazy boy!! :wink:

The only thing is I use the clutch whenever I shift so im not sure how useable the override is...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

M.F.D.B. wrote:
hagendog wrote: have been for over 30 yrs. Why change now?
If youve been wiping your ass with your fingers for 30 years and someone showed you toilet paper you'd turn it down? :roll:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

[quote="seanmx57"]
I found one major problem with my rekluse pro. If your kill switch malfuntions you have to ride until you are out of gas or figure out a way to stall it by messing with the carb or yanking a plug wire :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would have shut off the fuel. my gas hog would starve quick. cant u pull in the over ride and release it in 5th gear with the choke on or something? If you cant pull in the over ride to shift what exactly is the point of it anyways? sorry if that is a stupid question but i have never ridden with a rekluse.