First Ride Down the Steeet

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
cmotodad

First Ride Down the Steeet

Post by cmotodad »

After picking up our CRF 250 2 1/2 weeks ago and the 500 donor 4 days later, we went for the first ride with the AF 500. Wow what a rush, after riding 4 strokes since 02 this feels like a bullet. Just a question, why do they vibrate so much when sitting? Can't wait to go riding. Pics will be up a soon as my son teaches me the procedure. Special Thanks to Aliso Bob and this site for making it sooo easy.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

it's the nature of the beast, although some of mine have been better than others. did you use a two sided head stay?
robertg

Post by robertg »

I have a sidestand on mine and it moves across the floor when it's at idle. It's not that bad when I am riding it. I bought a new oem crank and had it balanced, so hopefully that will make it smoother.
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Yes, the headstay has two sides. After starting it a few times, I must be getting used to it. I am very curious as to whether the crank balancing helps noticably. I would most likely be up for that, if it works.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: First Ride Down the Steeet

Post by AlisoBob »

cmotodad wrote:Thanks to Aliso Bob and this site for making it sooo easy.
Solid Bro eriC too.....

:buddies:
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

That's one big piston flying around in there. They all vibe...all the time.

I had STR balance my crank. It shakes at idle....doesn't feel bad on the bike.
The important factor is killing the vibes at ride RPMs.
I can see cars in the distance through my mirrors, so I think mine is tame compared to what others complain about.
Even though 99% of the people say that crank balancing doesn't help (and don't recommend it), I'm glad I had mine done.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F