vertex VS weisco

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
r1yfz

vertex VS weisco

Post by r1yfz »

I see alot of people running weisco. Why no love for the vertex?
Whats the diffrences? advantages? disadvantages?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

check out the heat distibution between the two

http://www.mre-books.com/sa21/sa21_5.html
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

There is always debate over what is better. People who run a properly seasoned and warmed up Wiseco love them. People that have them get stuck in the cylinder hate them. Personally the only advantage of the Wiseco is it's ability to withstand the extremes of running your cr500 on Alky. For any other riding, there is no advantage in running a forged piston.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
powermizer

Post by powermizer »

I agree with ported&polished, but I can say the forged does give you alittle more protection if you havn't got your engine tuned exactly where it should be. Cast don't like detanation, where I have had my weisco live with a slight amount, not good on my part, I didnt want too loose the race. LOL
lots of power is never enough
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

powermizer wrote: Cast don't like detanation
Ive rattled the shit out of my Vertex.... no issues.
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

ill be doing all of my tuneing on the dyno so it should be dialed in to perfection.

i think ill try the Vertex... No holes need to be drilled correct? Would it hurt it if i did anyways?
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Well, they obviously dont make a garbage product, or they wouldnt have been around so long.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
robertg

Post by robertg »

Personally I wouldn't drill holes in a cast piston, but I never heard of anyone having problems after they did it.

I've never seized a Wiseco, but I wouldn't use one again. Every one that I used in my watercraft shrank about 0.004" after using it about 20 hours. Other members of the watercraft forum had the same problem. They didn't look worn out either.
r1yfz wrote:ill be doing all of my tuneing on the dyno so it should be dialed in to perfection.

i think ill try the Vertex... No holes need to be drilled correct? Would it hurt it if i did anyways?
MICK

Post by MICK »

I used to have all kinds of bad things to say about Wiseco's. Funny thing is I wound up getting one years ago...it's still running tits :shock:

...nothing but good things to say about them now :?
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Like has been previously stated, Proper clearances are crucial to the longevity of Wiseco's, but if everything is tits, so long as the proper warm-up is achieved, they will perform as well as anything else out there.

ive got one in my bike, and my motor had at least 100 hours on it when it needed rebuilt, and the rebuild wasnt caused by the piston......lower rod bearing took it out. other than the groove in the piston from the bearing, the rest of the top end was mint, minus a few detonation marks in the piston, which came from running low-grade fuel (NEEDED gas, only station around, all they had :/
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The cast piston is hotter, cuz it makes more power....

:twisted:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

r1yfz wrote:ill be doing all of my tuneing on the dyno so it should be dialed in to perfection.

what happens when you have tuned it on the dyno in perfect conditions and you take it out on a hot or cold day
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

vertex are lighter i always use cast
03 CRF450/85 500
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

gregrobo wrote:

what happens when you have tuned it on the dyno in perfect conditions and you take it out on a hot or cold day
i only ride, and tune, in the summer....
powermizer

Post by powermizer »

I ran my zilla for 11 years on a weisco with no problems, until I leaned it out to much. It still had 158 lbs compression compared to 165 lbs new.
lots of power is never enough
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 11th, 2010, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

I found pictures of 100hphonda's vertex when he tore it down for head work.... Im sold on the vertex
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you must have me confused with someone else because i dont buy cast pistons.

last cr500 i bought couple years ago this was the piston i took out and replaced with wiseco

r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

my bad it was AlisonBob
Heres what he had posted

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:01 pm Post subject: The "Proof is in the Pudding"....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am always squawking about castor oil, proper jetting, cast pistons, and quality machine work... Why?

I popped my head off to modify it, and this is what I found...after almost 4 years of hammering on it....

PERFECT cylinder. No scrapes, no blowby, no black death, no "stop-sign".. hone makes look identical to the day I assembled it . I could not be happier!!

The studs keep making the camera focus on them, and not the cylinder wall. I'll try to get a better photo, it looks that good!

Exhaust ports are pretty free of carbon, sludge, or other junk that Castor oil gets blamed for.. Soot pattern is very semetricial, showing that the burn is well balanced.

Heres the best focused one of the cylinder, perfect!

Chamber looks great too....

See, paying attendion to details before, during, and after assembly does pay off!