WISECO PERFORMANCE SHIT PISTONS

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
thestuz

WISECO PERFORMANCE SHIT PISTONS

Post by thestuz »

well i got my wiseco 89.25 mm piston in the mail today.
the joy in my eyes soon turned to dissapointment when i unrevelled the biggest piece of shit piston my eyes have ever had the displeasure of seeing.
if one of my mates had of brought this piece of crap, i would of burst out laughing.but this time it was me.

i haven bought a wiseco piston since the early 90s when i got 2 for my then rg250. i thought in 17 years, they might of started making better pistons... i was wrong.

firstly, i ordered i 89.25mm piston but the piston is 89mm(only the rings state 89.25mm.
the piston clearance states .076mm clearance which means it will already be under spec (too small for my 90mm used bore which i was gonna bore to 89.25)

secondly, this piston is heavier than a smaller cast prox one!
its got cast lines through it,this thing is fucking cast? i thought they were forged?
the quality of this piston is so poor, i could take it down to a trade school and get them to machine off 40 grams of excess alloy without effecting strength.example, there is no recess where the gudgeon pin goes in. usually, a good piston manufacturer will gauge out what isnt needed to save weight. apparently not at wiseco.
swarf left in the ring gaps.
no wonder these pistons need excessive piston clearances compared to other brands.

if i showed you this piston, you would tell me it came from a chinese bike.
my only dillemer is deciding weather to take it out the back and smash it for stress releif or hoc it to a wiseco fan.

WISECO, MADE WITH "PRIDE" IN THE USA....
yeah right... last time im buyin them again.this thing belongs in a fuckin harley, not a performance bike.

fool me once ,shame on you.
fool me twice, shame on me :o
Last edited by thestuz on December 4th, 2009, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Vertex, Pro-X or OEM, fuck Wiseco!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

eyesky2002 wrote:Vertex, Pro-X or OEM, fuck Wiseco!
X100
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

AlisoBob wrote:
eyesky2002 wrote:Vertex, Pro-X or OEM, fuck Wiseco!
X100
I wanted to get a prox but i heard the gudgeon pin end gaps were exposed to the exhaust port?

im not sold on the painted piston theory with vertex either.

oem doesnt get delivered to my door through ebay :wink:
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I Like Vertex....
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

AlisoBob wrote:I Like Vertex....
yeah, what hurts the most is there were a vertex and a prox for $20-$30 cheaper lol.

ah well, we learn.

hey bob, do prox still have that problem with the exhaust ports exposed to the gudgeon pin sides of the piston?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

my current piston is a different barrel(currently on the bike) is a vertex. i just wanted to try a different piston. was thinkin of a prox next for a change.
this is a spare barrel im porting polishing and gettin ready for swap over. got plenty of time to get it right.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

thestuz wrote: hey bob, do prox still have that problem with the exhaust ports exposed to the gudgeon pin sides of the piston?
Dont know, Like I said.... I lie OEM of Vertex
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I had around 80+ hours on my motor (bought used with unknown hours) with a Pro-x in it and other then the piston slap noise, it ran like a rapped ape and the sides looked close to new when I pulled it out. Went with a fresh GSS bore and Vertex for a rebuild and have about 20+ on that, just tore it down for my winter "rebuild" and the thing still has the black coating all around!!!

Every Wiseco rebuild I have done for others only last a fraction of that! But hey, as long as your paying I will stick what ever you want me to into your jug!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

prox is still the same, going ot give them a rip again at the PRI, dont use it if you can avoid it. Vertex is best for larger than oem available sizes.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I use wiseco in my 250, never had a problem with quality on the last 6 Ive used... I will not buy wiseco for the 500 though because I think spending a shload of money on one is stupid if I have to mark it for holes and then drill into a brand new piston, besides my 500 still has the orginal bore and piston in it and they both look brand new, that to me shows the quality of OEM, in a week or two im going to order new rings and vforce 3 reeds for the 500 and rebuild it for the first time (virgin motor) along with porting and milling the head. If yamaha didnt charge an arm and a leg for there OEM parts I would use one of there pistons to, too bad theyre about $250 :roll:
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

always the amatuers that have problems with wiseco :lmao: . seems nobody else has issues :confused:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

We've had 19 different 500's in the family since 84, a 5 gallon pail of used sqeaked, cracked, and scuffed wiseco pistons with 2 or 3 oems.

We've been professionally building engines since the early 70s

Its not a myth that the wiseco piston was based on the same alcoa forging that ross and other brands used and its properties make it want to stick to castiron. The newer pistons without the window have more taper, and are cnc milled arround them to hold more oil on the skirt to cool it with better heat transfer.

They can be used and do work, are possibly going to not torch thru like a cast in major lean or hot conditions, but you have to warm it up and ride it different than the forgiving cast pistons let you get away with.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

100hp honda wrote:always the amatuers that have problems with wiseco :lmao: . seems nobody else has issues :confused:
i have no doubt that this thing will work. what bothers me is the design and the way its built. ive heard many stories sbout people seizing wisecos more than any other brand but that didnt phase me to much. i was willing to give them a try.

what bothers me is the obvious lack of engineering and effort put into this piston. ive seen quite a few pistons in my time,cast and forged. and its not hard to pick the good quality ones from the bad but this is one of the cheapest things ive seen.
there is obviously no effort involved in making this thing light or removing excess material. this piston imo has the engineering sophistication of a cannon ball. im no engineer but the wossner forged pistons ive seen/used put this thing to shame in a big way.
wiseco dont bother to lathe any excess material,no tapered wrist pin, they dont even have a reinforced skirt? not bad for an engine prone to skirt crack.about the one thing ill give it credit for is lubrication holes in the wrist pin housing.

look im sure it holds temperature better than cast, but a performance piston it aint. i took my chance buying a wiseco cos i thought it would have quality standards that matched its high price. i was wrong.

i was prepared to pay extra, i was prepared to drill the holes, but i wasnt prepared to put this under engineered lump of shit in my engine.

if you want it its yours $100 89.25mm wiseco.new, in box,unmarked.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

not bad at all! pretty fucking impressive actually.

4 years, but how many hours? and how much abuse does it cop? i love what i read about castor but the smell it leaves in my shed when i start it up lasts for months :lol: i switch between oils. castor if ill be using it up in the day, or synthetic if im likely to have some sitting in my tank for a while. that castor just doesnt like to mix well and seems to seperate.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

still got that extra plate in the clutch or ya get it fixed ? dude that was fricken awesome :lol:
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

100hp honda wrote:still got that extra plate in the clutch or ya get it fixed ? dude that was fricken awesome :lol:
yeah, got the barnetts carbon clutch in there now.works like a dream,would recommend it to any one buying.
found out the previous owner had not only installed an extra steel plate to compersate for worn plates but also grinded off 1mm of the clutch rod to compensate for the wear too.
so when i installed the new clutch, the rod was too short. ended up having to put a shim in the clutch bearing actuator( in front of the rod)to get me by till one arrived from ebay.

the clutch/motors all sorted now.its running well and now i got the new clutch, im able to lower the idle circuit without the thing stalling when downshifting into corners
the only problem i still have is slightly metallic oil.pulled the thing down last week cos i thought it might of been a bearing spinning in the case. but every thing was fine. looks like it was all coming from the clutch hub/basket/preassure plate.nothing i can do about it.its just from hammering it too much i think.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

the guys over the other site say its wisecos new design.
how do i post pics on here, i got the image on desk top, copy the image, but cant paste it when i put up a post?

any suggestions?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

get a photobucket account load your pics to there then cut and paste to here!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

thestuz

Post by thestuz »

http://tinypic.com/r/qpmo8l/6

this is the new wiseco piston i got. notice the recess around the gudgeon pin on the old prox as opposed to no recess around the wiseco. this is what i call a slug of a piston.
arent forged pistons are ment to be light? what is your opinion of this, im not impresssed.

Last edited by thestuz on December 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Nice wiseco piston that one. :?
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Put Image after the link you can do it by clicking on the Img box in your post a reply box
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »