1 more Aussie 09' 450R

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Gravel Scratcher

1 more Aussie 09' 450R

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Santa came early.........

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/405 ... c3ba9c.jpg
(sorry about the link but i'll be rooted if i could get the pic to show by itself)

Now to find the motor so i can start measuring.

Cheers
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

good one chief didyou buy it minus motor
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
"SOLID Bro!!"

Re: 1 more Aussie 09' 450R

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:Santa came early.........

(sorry about the link but i'll be rooted if i could get the pic to show by itself)

Cheers

AAHHA! Just bullshit and tell everybody your gearing up to build one. Like bob will ever find out. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Gravel Scratcher

Yep picked it up on fleabay, the guy just wanted the motor for some go kart thing which just worked out for me.

Bugger.......Solid, i thought people actually built these things and now you tell me i've done my dough :oops:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
CR500R7

Re: 1 more Aussie 09' 450R

Post by CR500R7 »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:Santa came early.........

Cheers

Wow that really is a nice score, just buy a CR500 and RAPE IT for the engine it will be faster than waiting for an engine to show up. :wink:

That way you will also have the exhaust, electrics and the carb to go with it. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Very nice!

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I think you might be the first 09 CRF450R build in OZ.

I could be wrong , but I think Shaggy's is based on a 09 CRF 450X, a different critter entirely.

I've a mate that was going to use one of his sons 09 Rs to get me to fit his 500 engine into, but after their fraught year of dealing with a lot of issues, they seem to be fed up with Hondas, so are selling them & going to 2010 450 Yamahas. If that works out, he says he will get me to fit his 500 engine into one ( they get 2 each year, 1 practice bike one race - I will convert the race bike as the practice bikes get hammered) when they get the next years pair.

We'll see what happens, it's no skin off my nose what they roll into my workshop, but it would make an interesting conversion. I think I'll have to get pretty creative with the carb to airbox plumbing - it will make for a different, very interesting project :cool: , but we'll see what they actually end up with............................ :roll:

As a side note, there may be a few 09/10 chassis around, of various brands, as whatever the cart class is that these go into (?), it's getting popular. Our local Honda dealership sold a 09 CRF450R to a fellow specifically for a cart, he then sold the rolling chassis for $6000 I think.
jws696

Post by jws696 »

any progress?
Gravel Scratcher

Man you guys are pushy :P

Actually have been chasing a motor for the last couple of weeks. Ended up buying a complete 97' bike for $1500 in Denver and had a mate over there rip it out and get it boxed and posted just today. Hopefully it will be on my door in the next couple of weeks. The bike even came with brand new FMF pipe and FMF gnarly chamber :D

Cheers
Gravel Scratcher

Hey Bearorso

Got my roller off fleabay fo 4K :D

I don't know the class of carts either but i hope they keep it around for a while as it will provide a good source for rollers
Gravel Scratcher

Thanks heaps Swinney :clink: , hows that barge in the china sea going ?

jws696

Post by jws696 »

that bike is gunna b killa .
DitchWitch

Post by DitchWitch »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:Thanks heaps Swinney :clink: , hows that barge in the china sea going ?

No worries Paul, how are you going with that bloody swing arm pin?

The rigs having problems, had a crank case explosion 12 hours into the sail, we are down to 4 of 8 engines due to fuel contamination with growth and governer problems, working on gaining azimuth control of two of 8 thrusters and the HV boards are possessed opening by them selves, power management doesn’t know what to do, but other wise all good, I’m just putting on another pot of coffee... :cry:

So, back on subject, when do you start the frame mods? Whats the plan?
Gravel Scratcher

:cussing: swingarm arm pin, that is one sick joke.

Wil probably start to do some rough measuring etc just to get an idea of which way to go. The cradle profile is some crazy rectangle shape that i can't buy no doubt so thinking of going down the more common road of inch tube for cradle replacement. Hopefully some of the gear Shaggy used on his X might work on the R version as well. Time is a bit short at the moment and going to the coast for Chrissy so i'm just gunna have to make some time.
Bean

Post by Bean »

use the 1" square tube with an adaptor to fit the new frame shape
but thats another thing to work on when we get time after we finish this second bike
OK THAT'S 2 DONE ....
WHO'S IS NEXT????
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

just replace the whole cradle right to the foot peg it isnt that hard
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Gravel Scratcher

Well finally got this thing back on track. I get easily distracted and sort of end up playing with whatever is shiny at the time,
like road bikes other dirt bikes even threw in some racing at Finke which was my first ever proper bike race at the biggest off road event in Australia.
Only have a couple of pics at this stage, but the aim was to always look OEM with the fab work and clearances which at this stage i think has been achieved.
I know alot of people will say its only a dirt bike but i appreciate when people have pride in their workmanship.

The factory dosen't do them this good

looking down on the Y and expansion chamber

Huge thanks to Red and Kelly for getting this thing to happen.
Planning to run this at Finke this year instead of trying to kill myself on the stealy....braaaaap
Gravel Scratcher

exhaust FMF AF500 right length but had to rotate the pipe part for a better fit
IMG_4755

cdi mount
IMG_4764

coil mount
IMG_4767

like a bought one
IMG_4761

IMG_4759

boot from a 98-99' CR250, spacer installed and boot every so slightly touching the shock.
IMG_4762

Tiny bit of trimming for the right hand shroud
IMG_4769

Stock expansion cylinder with rear mount removed and one of the best tips i've
seen on this site is to use a clamp for rear mounting. Adjustment can be made by those 2 nuts.
IMG_4772

IMG_4774
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

did you have the "Y" made there in Oz or have it shipped? looks great! is the "Y" and the tubes one piece, all billet or is there a weld that I don't see?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Gravel Scratcher

K dogg (Kelly) from this site did the billet parts and we assembled them, and when i say we i mean mostly done by a mate Mark. The Y is recessed at the joints (no butt welds) and
the reason you can't see a weld on the cradle is we went for a seamless look, i was going for the OEM look in regards to fab as much as posiible.

These pics are from K doggs build but basically mirrors mine

securedownload

securedownload-1

securedownload-2
Gravel Scratcher

Had the fuel tank off, so grabbed a couple of pics

carb alignment to boot and distance is spot on

12mm spacer between stock air box and cr250 air boot 99'

exhaust mounts in place, the rear one is a bolt on jobby while the other is welded to the sub frame. Thats a micheilin desert which at full travel does not hit the exhaust, i know cause i can see some scrape marks on the plastic under the seat area where i have bottom out and no scrapes on the exhaust

CDI and fuel petcock mount to left side of frame

billet coil holder and headstay arrangement, neat as in my opinion
CR500AFX

Post by CR500AFX »

Awsome work. Nice finish on everything.
Did you have any fueltank to sparkplug clearance issues?
How was Finke?
Cheers Paul
Gravel Scratcher

Thanks man. I had no issues with spark plug / fuel tank clearances, i swapped out the R tank for a Clarke aftermarket with holds about 12litres from memory.
After previously doing it tough on the steely at Finke i thought get the AF done and cruise on something easier, the fuckin' thing slam dunked me.
I did not ride home on day 2 which sucks balls especially when i had such a nice pony to ride. What was i thinking riding the Finke with a year number like 2013, the numbers were against me

A lot more bruising and swelling has since come out and works its way around to my groin. Sharp pain and can hardly walk has even pushed me to get some x rays.

The bike came out of it better than me, here's a couple of pics of the finished bike

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the bike looks amazing!
the bruises :shock:
fmikhele

Post by fmikhele »

Nice work mheng! :clink: