Rebuild

Recount your rebuilds here!

Would you do a complete rebuild on a 1974 paint what you have to or paint and re do the complete buike

Do what I have to and leave as stock as 1974 as I can
30%
Re do the complet bike so it like new once again.
70%

Total votes: 10

honda02

Rebuild

Post by honda02 »

Ok I am rebuilding a 1974 Honda Elsinore 250.

The motor done is in a box ready to be dropped in to the frame ready to run just add gas and oil, The frame needs some welding at the Y in the lowwer down tube area and TLC and repainting.

The fenders need to be repainted new seat cover and foam and new tires, tubes, Cables.

Oh yea I need to find a new front Number plate.

The rest of the bike is still stock all there in good shape for beening a 1974 should I just put back togther with the parts I have to re do or leave what I can stock Or just repalce every thing and make it like new.

I kinda like to leave what I can the OEM stock as it can in 1974 look unrestored.

Old race bikes are just cool.

I don't know If I will keep the bike or sell after a while so what make it worth more money trying to leave stock as I can or new as I can.
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

That's a tough one to answer.

If you plan to ride it and have some fun, then fix what needs fixing. Clean it up as much as possible/remove the dents in the pipe and keep an as-is appearance.

If it's not going to be ridden, then tear it down and do a nut/bolt restoration.

Personally, it'd be a waste of a bike if you didn't ride it.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

You don't say what condition the bike is in, so it is difficult to answer. My preference is for a high level of mechanical preparation done in a way that looks "right" but might not be perfect from the pure restoration point of view. There are others that are not happy unless it captures the moment it originally rolled out of the showroom. You might be happy with a bike that runs, but looks a little scruffy and just fix any problem as it occurs. Do what makes you comfortable within the time and budget you have.

This web site - http://www.alp-sys.com/honda-elsinore/ - is like this site here, but for Vintage Elsinores.

Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF