Ode to honda and the CR500

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
britincali

Ode to honda and the CR500

Post by britincali »

Due to my recent findings inside my trusty 2000 CR5 I think this thread is long over due.

These motors can take all kind of punishment and still just keep pinging along, hell how many four strokes will still be getting hammered at dumont and glamis when they are 20+ years old.

Guys post up your carnage photos and stories of motors that STILL RAN

Heres some of mine...

My 2000 with a 20 yr old motor still fired up cold withing 4 kicks and ran perfect at dumont last time out, the big end bearing had gone and she had sucked the needles through the transfers and into the combustion chamber the only sympton I had was lower than usual compression and a tranny that became hard to shift sometimes when under a heavy load.

When I pulled what I thought to be a top end needing rings I found the above issues, when I split the cases to remove the crank I found a broken gear in the tranny, a blown bearing and all kinds of metal and shrapnel.

Here what I found when I pulled the head.

The piston, as you can see its been running awhile as there is carbon buildup in the divots. Notice the wedged top ring.

What came out of the bottom of the case.

Bad bearing with a missing BB.

And the damaged gear.

These things just keep running no matter what! I wonder how long it would have gone before ripping a hole in the case....
Last edited by britincali on September 6th, 2007, 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

The 1989 Non runner I recently bought for $340 is also another great example, I picked the bike up after it had been parked in a back yard for 2 years, the guy told me it wouldnt run. I only needed the bottom end so I want really concerned about the condition.

Here she is as I picked her up.

I got it home and pressure washed for 20 mins, it still had some old nasty gas in the tank but I kicked her anyway... It fired 2nd kick!

2yr old gas and an old plug and they just keep firing.

I pulled it to pieces last night to find a stock cast piston (big intake crack) it had enough clearance to fit matchsticks aound the piston, this now my second 20 yr old 2 stroke still running and starting well on the original slug.

These things demand some respect not just due to power but due to having the reliability of a ford 9N tractor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get your stories up guys
Last edited by britincali on September 6th, 2007, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Kinda makes those guys doing the " Retard Rock", the "Bike Layover", and the famous " My bike is hard to start, perhaps I need to clean the airfilter" look pretty damm silly.

I think it was A/P who put a new top end on an all original 14 year old bottom end ( which had had the piss ran out of it by other owners that A/P knows).

Show me another bike that you can do that with?

CR500's RULE!!!!!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Well I bought my 91 for a grand, and ran the hell out of it for 6 months, then at Glamis I forgot to tighten the intake boot, and sucked in a grip of sand so that the bike ran crummy. I cleaned the carb and had a great weekend anyway. Got home, took the top end apart, and the piston was cracked. Had the jug and head ported and shaved, and the builder said it was on the first bore. 16 year old stock piston and rings, and the goody was fun and fast and reliable, even with a cracked piston. Basically, unless something really breaks inside, you can run these things until the piston desinagrates, and still have power enough to ride say some woods or whatever.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Ported&Polished wrote:Basically, unless something really breaks inside, you can run these things until the piston desinagrates, and still have power enough to ride say some woods or whatever.
Or the main bearings wear out and it vibrates you to death. It took mine 9 years and it happened to me BEFORE I needed a top end. EXACTLY why I bought mine. Take care of it and it will last freakin forever.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

when I got my '86 is was a bear to start and I found that the reeds were bad, it had no tranny oil (stripped drain plug) and best of all the had an obvious seizure on the piston, but still ran. Just hard to start. still tractored up everything! I took it for a pretty good ride before tearing into it and doing a full rebuild. it had maybe 200cc of tranny oil in it, but if it wasn;t for that I could have kept running it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

My '87 basically sat in my storage building out back from '92 - '02 and hadn't been started. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out, put it back on, put in some fresh premix, and it started on the 4th kick. Since, I replaced the reeds, plug and tranny oil, as well as, topped off the coolant. Still runs great. :nanna:
Last edited by jbird_710 on September 6th, 2007, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

HONDA Has got it down its too bad for us they quit making this bike
britincali

Post by britincali »

Even though at times I would love a powervalve (like when im getting beat in a drag by a KX500) I like that there is no worry about something gumming up when running castor or another thing to set-up when rebuilding.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ou812

Post by ou812 »

power valves suck, put that GSS barrel on and say by by to those faggy KX's
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

3 Finger Sally

britincali

Post by britincali »

ou812 wrote: put that GSS barrel on and say by by to those faggy KX's

I got the motor built and slapped in last night, now all I've gotta do is the small stuff like rads, plastics...... It might be making smoke tonight.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Dont forget the sparkplug...

:roll:
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote:Dont forget the sparkplug...

:roll:

Shut it......

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

aint got no carnage photos. i keep my junk running good :nanna:
britincali

Post by britincali »

Heres a pic of what was hidden inside the perfect running 89er....

Anyone I repeat ANYONE who buys a CR500 should pull the intake for a looksie before riding it. If ridden hard this could have made a mess.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok