Hot dogs

List your favorites!!!
Ported&Polished

Hot dogs

Post by Ported&Polished »

Ok, so I'm a hot dog eater, and I have a few favorites. Share some good brands here, and serve up your favorite recipe.
Hebrew National Knockwurst is killer, all beef Oscar Meyer originals are yummy, Dodger dogs are sweet, Ball Park is decent, Nathan's are good, can't think of others I like. Now for my recipe. I like to take 2 dogs fried and sliced length wise, a fried egg with the yoke popped, 3 slices of Kraft real American cheese, and two slices of white bread. Put butter on the bread and pan fry it on one side first, then turn over and add cheese, egg, cheese, dogs, cheese other bread piece, in that order, and butter fry outsides again to melt it all together. enjoy. Now the other things I might add would be crushed red pepper to egg when frying, and might add some sliced avocado, but then you need an additional slice of cheese to hold that in there. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Zamo

Post by Zamo »

I concur. I like a lot of food, but when it comes right down to it, my three top favs have got to be a good beef ribsteak, an outstanding pizza, or a plain, old-fashioned hotdog. And of those three, I think I'd put the hotdog on the top of the list. The problem is, too many people think of the crappy chicken filled, little finger sized, mass-produced for grocery store, garbage as a "hotdog", and have never really had a great one! It's got to be quality...all beef, or, in some cases, a beef/pork mix...but NO CHICKEN OR TURKEY. Fowl is foul when it comes to dogs. (That is a weird sentence).
Then there is how you cook 'em. I don't think there is a right way, and the only wrong way is a microwave. Not to say I don't ever cook 'em that way...can't argue about conveniance. I prefer them grilled, but certain kind of dogs (Bockwurst in particular) are best boiled.
I am such a hotdog geek that I bought one of those rotating Hotdog Cookers like you see in the conveniance stores off of ebay. We use it for parties all the time.
My current favorite is to take a big assed bratwurst, grill it and serve it on half a stadium bun ala the German Turninger Rostbratwurst that I had in Deutschland. DAMN! Those krauts really DO know their wieners! I've been buying the Cloverdale Farms dogs in numerous flavors from a grocery outlet here in WA. called Cash-n-carry. Kind of like the way Costco used to be, catering to small business, but open to the public. You can buy a ten pound box of these quality big dogs for about $14.
I'm grilling a couple for breakfast RIGHT NOW...just as soon as I *Wack* get this *Wack* clog out of my *Wack* arteries...
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Hey speaking of bratwurst, it is absolutely impossible to find the ones I used to love as a kid. My neighborhood used to have a german delicatesson called Shermers. Well the house brats they made were incredible. I have tried alot of different ones, and none come close to the flavor and texture, and the SMELL, wow. These darn Johnsonville ones are ok, but must be a totally different region and style. The closest I have found are the ones from the NY Deli company called Boarshead. Anyway, hotdogs and the like are a very popular item across the nation, so there have got to be alot of hoons out there that enjoy them. Don't be afraid, let us know if you are a meat stick lover! :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Go to a German Butcher.....they will hook you up. Try some Swenkbraten and you will soon forget about brauts.
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......