Millar Auto Machine Company

Send your stuff here, to companies you can trust!!!!!
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Just got a package today from roosty... thought I got Fachar-ed...

Only kidding...

I bought/traded some stuff which shipped to me on 3/23 with a tracking number and finally got here today, thanks to Canada Post being timely with their service.

About a week ago I shot roosty an email asking what the usual time frame was for shipment and he spent some time on the phone with Canada Post trying to find out where my stuff was and offered to make it up to me somehow (I declined, he shipped on time, etc, just Canada Post had their heads up their ass on this), definately going above and beyond what was needed.

Thanks Adam!!! :cool:
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

where is the thread on the lower end porting and jug porting?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

What does "twirp" stand for?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the definition is included with the price :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

seanmx57 wrote:What does "twirp" stand for?
pony up some scratch then report back what it meens :D
98cr500rider

Post by 98cr500rider »

I think this is trail porting from what I gleaned from other threads, but why anyone would spend over $1200 for so called better trail riding beats the fuck out of me when a cr500 is already the most versatile bike out there.

oh well if you have cash to burn go burn it.

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

100hp honda wrote:
seanmx57 wrote:What does "twirp" stand for?
pony up some scratch then report back what it meens :D
Ask bob.

Very secretive stuff going on north of the border
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i have no idea if its marketed as trail porting, might just be a gain in trq and people associate that with trail riding :?: . what is trail porting ? dont want to clutter this thread but i have to agree with 98cr500riders opinion on the trail riding, i wouldnt spend a dime on engine work either. from the first time i seen glen advertise trail porting, the whole concept never made sense to me. if i spent everyday on trails i would be running a newer xr400 or old skool xr500r. xr500r trq curve is probly flat as a arrow, ideal for any type of trails, never a overheating issue either. if i had no other choice but to use a cr500 on trails i would sell it and get something else. everyone spends money where they see fit, to each their own.

this bitch would be the shizz on trails. probly alittle heavy and clumsy but who gives a shit

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have no problem agreeing that the 500 has great power for trail riding, would I like more...sure! I don't understand why people think its not a good trail bike, the thing kills it in the single track, motos over rocks as well as anything out there. Its a total tractor, and half trials bike. I run a stock pipe because I like the spread of power, I would love to have the torque hit like a gnarly pipe and then hit the top like its on a PC pipe or better. If I had the money my stuff would be on his bench today.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if i ever used one for trails the first thing installed would be ktm radiator fan :cool:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

years ago when i first got the '00 i rode the same trails AP rides. the bike sucked ballz. over heating clutch frying piece of shit. rather had a XL175
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

CR500 on singletrack with a beginning rider = Fool.
CR500 on singletrack with an intermediate rider = Exhausted man.
CR500 on singletrack with an accomplished rider = Lazy man.
CR500 on singletrack with a Pro rider = Training.

Several years ago when I was in better shape and rode more often, riding the 500 on singletrack was a dream. It did ALL the work. I just sat on the cushy seat and worked the throttle. It is not heavy and difficult to maneuver like the XR's are.

Why am I even responding to this?

Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

MojoScojo wrote:CR500 on singletrack with a beginning rider = Fool.
CR500 on singletrack with an intermediate rider = Exhausted man.
CR500 on singletrack with an accomplished rider = Lazy man.
CR500 on singletrack with a Pro rider = Training.

Several years ago when I was in better shape and rode more often, riding the 500 on singletrack was a dream. It did ALL the work. I just sat on the cushy seat and worked the throttle. It is not heavy and difficult to maneuver like the XR's are.

Why am I even responding to this?

Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along.
I think I fit in right between Exhausted and Lazy. My bike doesn't overheat and for almost everything there is to ride in the moto world I will take my CR500. I sometimes wish it had a button start but all in all the 500 is where its at for me no matter what terrain we are riding it gets it done. Having more power everywhere would be O.K. with me but I think my most serious HP gains could be made by going on a good diet. I love the 500 on single track, I had an old xr500 and I think its a pretty good bike but it turned into just my loaner and got sold, everytime its time to go on a ride I always seem to grab my 500. There have been a bunch of other bikes sitting next to it over the years but I always grab the 500. Maybe its not the perfect bike but it gets it done and never leaves me walking.

Broader power with more top...I want it!
Travis

Post by Travis »

I think I fit all categories. Mostly lazy though because it is way easier to single track than the xr 400 I had was. That was a dog compared to the cr5... If I had an AF I am sure it would be a little more fun but its like riding the sofa the way it is. lol
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Travis wrote:...the xr 400 I had was. That was a dog compared to the cr5... If I had an AF I am sure it would be a little more fun
THe XR400 sucks ass, all the weight of the XR650 with 1/2 the power.

You gotta do the A/F thang. Britincali is like.... " Hey Bob, you got all fast, all of a sudden.... WTF??"

My reply?...." Yea, When I built my A/F...."

The Steelies are comfortble, but theres nothing like a CR500A/F
britincali

Post by britincali »

The seat on my gen 5 feels as soft as my steelie :D :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Travis

Post by Travis »

AlisoBob wrote:
Travis wrote:...the xr 400 I had was. That was a dog compared to the cr5... If I had an AF I am sure it would be a little more fun
THe XR400 sucks ass, all the weight of the XR650 with 1/2 the power.

You gotta do the A/F thang. Britincali is like.... " Hey Bob, you got all fast, all of a sudden.... WTF??"

My reply?...." Yea, When I built my A/F...."

The Steelies are comfortble, but theres nothing like a CR500A/F
Yeah, I rode it 2 times and bought the CR5. Never rode it again. lol I would love to have an AF but it is hard enough to hang onto the steelie when I have issues getting out and riding as it is. I am getting a lot better now though so I may be back in the woods this spring. :fingers crossed:
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

98cr500rider wrote:I think this is trail porting from what I gleaned from other threads, but why anyone would spend over $1200 for so called better trail riding beats the fuck out of me when a cr500 is already the most versatile bike out there.

oh well if you have cash to burn go burn it.

I ride it in the tight trails (altho nothing as tight as what mojo chases), I run it on the hillclimb with an extention and dominator tire, i'll run it on the ice if the lake freezes smooth.
It prettymuch eliminates the on the pipe off the pipe the bikes have. Its dammn good on fuel, and calms the pipe shutter down at idle and low rpm so much that guys who ride 500s often have to take a second look to see if its really a 500.
It lugs down low and screams uptop.
It'll pull 4th gear faster than bros bike in 5th and geared the same.

extended with a dominator
(second run with this kind of tire, ever)

I cant find a decent trail vid, we did lots, but my elcheapo batteries kept carpping out
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I speant a few minutes on a CRF and hated it I liked the way my steely handled way better, so I cast aside the idea of doing an AF, now you have me thinking again, good thing because I need more projects like I need a whole in my head!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I have an 87,88,99 and 2000 in stock form, theyre great, i can think of a ride i'd like for each one, or i'd take my 2002 chassis on all the rides :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I might buy an 87' after the wifey cools down about the XR650r. I like those bikes.... and there cheap.
britincali

Post by britincali »

My first 2 CR5's were 87s :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
98cr500rider

Post by 98cr500rider »

Roosty wrote:I ride it in the tight trails (altho nothing as tight as what mojo chases), I run it on the hillclimb with an extention and dominator tire, i'll run it on the ice if the lake freezes smooth.
It prettymuch eliminates the on the pipe off the pipe the bikes have. Its dammn good on fuel, and calms the pipe shutter down at idle and low rpm so much that guys who ride 500s often have to take a second look to see if its really a 500.
It lugs down low and screams uptop.
It'll pull 4th gear faster than bros bike in 5th and geared the same
Well could bob please insert the bullshit meter here.

So it seems to ridicule all the work that manufactures do with millions invested in research and development and complicating their designs with totally unnecessary power valves to get what you create with a bit of porting, more on top AND more down low, and all with less fuel

A few things seem to contradict established wisdom on engines that any other time on this site would be rubbished.

Bob I think you need to get some independent dyno result comparisons on your stuff comparing it to stock before you get some disappointed hoons in future asking where is all my fantastic new performance that Bob seemed to get, and was this value for money.

gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

sounds like you need to wash the sand out of your vagina 98cr500rider
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee