Fork Springs

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
DesertCR

Fork Springs

Post by DesertCR »

Ok so I just checked the sag on my new bike (03cr250), and its got less thank 50mm sag in the front. Now I'm pretty sure it has heavier springs, does anyone know what year springs will work for these forks? I'm thinking from 97 and up CR, is this right? I need stock ones, I weigh 175lbs. I'm just gonna get some from flea bay but I just wanna know which ones will work. Anyone know or have some stockers for sale?
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Hmmm... Have a look at Racetech.com, I think they have a spring rate chart there, should be able to cross ref the parts #'s.

I know a Michelle Marshall that works there maybe she will cut you a deal?
Tell her your on proride.com and know iggys-amsoil. If she's at Perris this Sunday I'll ask her. :wink:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the '03 cr250 stock spring rates are perfect for your weight. I'm 180 and the stock springs on my gen-1 are perfect for desert riding, I think I'm supposed to go stiffer for MX, but I do MX about twice a year.
they changed spring rates from year to year. you can use the race tech site to see year to year changes, or the www.mx-tech.com site, which is the site I prefer.
for my weight in gear (I put 195) they recommend:
Stock Spring Rates:
Fork: 0.43 kgmm
Shock: 5.0 kgmm
Recommended Spring Rates:
Fork: 0.44 kg/mm
Shock: 4.9 kg/mm

for 190 in gear for desert riding:
Stock Spring Rates:
Fork: 0.43 kgmm
Shock: 5.0 kgmm
Recommended Spring Rates:
Fork: 0.43 kg/mm
Shock: 4.8 kg/mm
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Thanks for the info. I actually looked on racetech's website, I'm just trying to go the cheapest way right now since I've already spent so much dough in my bikes. I know I can go with stock springs, I'm just wondering if the crf and cr's are all interchangeable? And btw, when I do get new springs can I just unscrew the cap on the forks and put them right in, is it that easy?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

on the twing chamber forks its more work than that. you have to unscrew the cap, tehn remove the rod and inner chamber. crf and cr springs are innerchangeable. infact, not sure about gen-1, but '00+ spings should all work. just check the sites for the rating on that particular year and bike before you buy any.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

According to Eibach's catalog their 978 series spring fits 97-03 CR250R and 02-04 CRF450R, so one would assume the stock springs can be swapped too. Eibach has springs in rates from 0.32 through 0.56 kg/mm. 0.47 kg/mm is stock rate.

http://eibach.com/eibach/img/ems-catalog.pdf
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF