Any advice on Jumping

WTF Happened!!!!
DesertCR

Any advice on Jumping

Post by DesertCR »

Well I went to Amago raceway today and for the life of me I cant seem to get the confidence or skill set to hit a descent lip. I actually ate shit when I came up short on this long little double and smacked the old dome a little, I'm alright but damn I hate crashing. Its hard to gage how the other riders hit these lips because they're all on 4 strokes except for the kid I talked to today on a 250t but dude was stoned out of his mind. So anybody got any advice on correct form and speed, and throttle off the lip, etc? Oh, btw the track consists of mainly tables, so it is pretty forgiving.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I dont know if theres any way to really explain it...

I suppose trial-and-error. If you came up too short, gasser harder next lap!

:D
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Watch a supercross or out door motocross, and listen to the sound of the bikes as they go up the approach. I am not going to give advice because I don't want to be responsible for you breaking your neck, but the basic fundamentals to propper jumping are correct suspension set up and speed. If the boingers aren't set up right, you could hit a jump as fast as you want and it won't make any difference because aside from speed, you also need to be able to preload the suspension and have it unload propperly otherwise you gonna be hurtin in a bad way. Overshooting can sometimes be just as bad or worse as coming up short also. If your not confident in your abilities though you absolutly do not want to be attempting anything you are not sure you can do safley. I have seen this first hand and it is not a fun time unwrapping your friend from a twisted pile of shit that used to be a bike because he just watched the X games and thinks he can go like Pastrana. I guess what I am saying is practice, practice, practice. Also I am an ex motocrosser so I don't jump to show off really, when I jump it was to clear an obsticle faster to get the tire back on the groundso it can be driving me forward. Just my $.02.
Steiner 311

Post by Steiner 311 »

Center your body on the bike, easiest is to keep your knees and elbows slightly bent and most importantly keep your chin centered above the crossbar. Clinch the bike between your legs, I usually push in with my calfs. As you come to the face of the jump, preload your suspension by pushing down on your bars and down with your feet, at the same time goose your throttle. It's really important to hold the gas on until your rear wheel leaves the lip. You need the drive of the rear wheel to send the bike into the air level, if you let off the gas to early you will have no drive and your front wheel will fall and your rear wheel will probably want to come over the back of your head. Start small and work to bigger jumps, the hardest part is holding that throttle on, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be suprised how far you can jump that bike. Post up after you try it a few times, once you get the hang of it you can learn how to air brake.

Good luck

Jas.......................................................................................................
"Practice does NOT make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect!"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Jbaze and Steiner is good info, although knees and air braking is more advanced, something I'm not doing :? At the moment don't try the doubles until your confedence comes to a point that your pretty sure your gona make it. For me I get mad and down on myself for not having the sack but its better than a trip to the doc. The big step up at Racetown has been eating at me for a long time now but after yesterdays ride I have the confedence now its just a matter of no wind and going for it. More on that in the Racetown ride report when I get to it.

The main thing is be centered on the bike, yah chin near or over the bars. and always, always, always no matter how little, make sure your on the gas. Now there's expections to that but leave that to the way more skilled for now.

Also a little birdy told me that there maybe a jump clinic at Steiners Ranch over the 4th of July weekend. Plan on bringing the RV :wink:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Also a little birdy told me that there maybe a jump clinic at Steiners Ranch over the 4th of July weekend. Plan on bringing the RV :wink:

Ooh? Jump Clinic? Please keep tabs on that birdy... ;)

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'm taking lessons from RP

( Like thats going to help..... :cry: )

:wink:
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Man thanks for all the info. I'm just disappointed that it seemed I did better last time out, this was only my 3rd time to the track. I seem to freeze in the air but I'm getting more comfortable each time out. I noticed some of the 4t guys werent using their clutch at all, they were either gassing it in air or a little braking but mostly just throttle with real good body control. Next time out I'll focus on being up on the bike and throttling it on the lip. I'm up for Steiners Ranch if ya'll invite me.

I need some solid practice time. RP is rippin it up in that pic!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

ALWAYS USE THE CLUTCH WHILE BRAKING IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!! If you stall the bike in the air, and a 500 is very easy to stall, you will be nose down and nothing you can do about it but crash! Work on the basics first then worry about adjusting the flight man. Locking the rear wheel will cause the front to drop, gassing it and spinning the wheel will cause the front to raise, thats what you hear people calling a panic rev.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

JBaze wrote:.... gassing it and spinning the wheel will cause the front to raise, thats what you hear people calling a panic rev.
I would say makes the rear drop. And these 500's do it more so than a 250. At least thats my experiance.

One reason why you don't see the 4t guys use the clutch as much is cause of the engine braking that the thumps have. Being off the gas on a thumper natrually makes the front drop. These days it seems like I hear them panic reving more so.

Also too, try and have the gas on just before the rear touches down. Especailly if your out of shape in the air thats going to lead to a possible swapping. It can pull you out of it and save ones ass from crashing. It saved me once at Cahuilla.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I always loved that term, "panic rev" - makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Examples:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tscOKk9 ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqDQmWydQM&NR=1[/youtube]

Hear it at 1:47 on this one:

:D

DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

That dude was hurtin after that endo. I've actually cleared a 30-35 table panic revving, its wasnt fun thats for sure.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Remember this, a good man always knows his limitation.
Do not, I repeat do not exceed them or pain ends up being the result and a trip to the hospital.
Good luck. :wink:
Steiner 311

Post by Steiner 311 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Jbaze and Steiner is good info, although knees and air braking is more advanced, something I'm not doing :? At the moment don't try the doubles until your confedence comes to a point that your pretty sure your gona make it. For me I get mad and down on myself for not having the sack but its better than a trip to the doc. The big step up at Racetown has been eating at me for a long time now but after yesterdays ride I have the confedence now its just a matter of no wind and going for it. More on that in the Racetown ride report when I get to it.

The main thing is be centered on the bike, yah chin near or over the bars. and always, always, always no matter how little, make sure your on the gas. Now there's expections to that but leave that to the way more skilled for now.

Also a little birdy told me that there maybe a jump clinic at Steiners Ranch over the 4th of July weekend. Plan on bringing the RV :wink:
Looks like Iggy's scrounged up the sack to hit the ramp! J/K buddy..hahaha. I'm always up to help folks find their wings, be it dirt or ramp. Here's a couple of my favorite frequent little flyers as of late.

Mackane

Jack

Ryan

Curtis

Ryan & Curtis

Iggy

Lets' do this thing!!

Jas....................................................................................................
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Man, how many years does it take to get that good? If I could ride that good, I dont think I'd go to work, I would just ride. :D
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Well I can't say for the other guys, some are just naturally better/skilled at it. I was shocked that #791 never raced :shock:

For me its taken three years to get to this level and I ain't shit compared to what I see on race day. But this is what I wanted, to be at a level better than the three or four races I did when I was 19-20. 52 now :doh:

Twenty years on a 3 wheeler kind of killed that but when I got my new to me 94 CR250 in 2000, skills that I learned way back then came naturally and saved my ass a few times.

Just take it slow and start with easy tables or single jumps. Confidence comes with seat time.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

A stay in hospital comes with biting off more than you can chew.
Simply put , you learnt to crawl first, then walk and finally run, take one step at a time and master it and then take another and do the same, you can't go wrong. :wink:
Steiner 311

Post by Steiner 311 »

Or............just grab a handful of throttle and say "WTF and here's to ya!!!" I'm totally kidding, it takes a bit of time to get the feel for being in the air. Some progress in less than days, some months and years, just be sure to have fun and don't bail too late!

Jas......................................................................................................
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :urock: