1987 finally together, almost rideable

Recount your rebuilds here!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

1987 finally together, almost rideable

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

:lol:
so i realized today that a pipe i'd got to use on this bike was actually for a 250, i hit the end with a pipe expander and put it on to get it from the shop to home. Man she has rip off the stop, but 1000rpm later falls on its face, hahaha

Its a nice looking bike, and suspension and everthing was in excellent condition, I'd like to thank Ryan, Bob, and whoever else was involved in picking it up, tearing it down, or shipping it!

The reason i got it was dad, he always gets the '00 tot he top of the hill, looks down and says " that 87 i had was the best 500 i owned"

Anybody out there got a decent fmf for 87-88 PM me please, I have a silencer, but need a nice pipe

how Ryan and bob picked it up

just before loading it in the truck tonite

with the '88

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

so i put fuel in it and the valve leaked, fixed it, then there was sand in the needle and seat, cleaned it, got it wet and warm and the lh rad leaks, have a spare rh, so i guess i'm going to mod a 99 rad to fit it.
Its jetted pretty lean with a 170 main, I'm sure this weekend will solve it all unless the AFC is complete and i forget my steelie friends
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

just more pictures

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Dammn now i see a missing airbox bolt!
Sadly the 323 decal fell victim to the pressure washer lastnight
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

Now I know why you are hitting me up for parts. Those older motors are good shit in a newer chassis. I never really liked the older ergonomics. From my experiance its really hard to weight the front wheel enough through corners, and the right side number plate sticks out too far where the pipe goes to do serious stand up riding. I have a ported 87 with updated -magnesium side case in my honzuki. It fukin' gets it, and turns.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

If you drop the fork thru the tripple its an excellent bush machine, more like a gen 3 handling than the '91 or '00 steelies. Theres places where the other bikes are trying to headshake, never seen it on these bikes. Just sunday we came accross a field for 1/2 mile wfo in 4, cuz it simply wouldnt pull 5th with the rear axel under ground, the '99 steelie and the gen4 250f chassis bikes were 10ft either side of me and had to back off cuz the bike wouldnt handle, i hauled ass out the other side as if on rails
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Adam could you post bigger pics? i don't see very well...

I needed half an hour for watch all your pics :lol:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

right on. the '87 was sweet bike :cool: