search help and,

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
rickyrcf

search help and,

Post by rickyrcf »

I searched " shine frame " and got 675 matches. What am I doing wrong?
Also any input is good also. I am NOT looking for extra bling, just a very clean new look
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

PM Balaclava
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

And after,post it here for the others who wants frame cleaning advice
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

If it's any help, before I sold my Gen2, I hit the frame with 600 grit, and the 1000 grit, and polished with mothers to a mirror finish. It's a hell of alot of work and dirty, but it looks great when your done.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
rickyrcf

Results

Post by rickyrcf »

Well I have learned lots. First, what YOU need to know, my goal is a factory new look, not a polished bling look. For the first time I used a rotary tool (Dremel). WOW, that thing can be adictive. I had to keep telling myself "new, not bling". The best thing about the Dremel is getting in to tough places. (like welds).
So, starting with K.I.S.S., Scotchbrite and Simple Green work GREAT.
Scotchbrite is abrasive, and with S.G. you can do mild polishing.
The next level FOR ME was a medium steel wool, followed by a fine steel wool. I used them wet with the same S.G. This was to take out small, slight scratches & dings.
Then, I had two 4" grooves on the spars. I started with the mildest wet/dry sandpaper I had, 320, It was very slow on the grooves, so I went to 220, then 150. The Idea was to take the very minimum off of the thin spars. I tried a sanding block, but felt my finger let me stay right on the groove. The 150 did the job, then I went in reverse all the way back to scotchbrite.
Maybe the best tool I found is a Nyalox brush. They are "Abrasive Impregnated" nylon bristle brushes in 3 grits. I used the end brush on a cordless drill. The Fine grit IS abrasive (leaves marks) but it did a fantastic job on the waffle-like recesses on the AF frame.
The next, makes me wonder. I used it last, once, because it SCARES me.
Hydrofluoric, Phosphoric and Sulfuric Acid. It is called "Etching Mag Cleaner" by Eagle One. I got it at Carquest. The warnings are serious. The guy who sold it to me said to make SURE I didn't breath it.
On the upside, so far it seems like it produces the best results.
I polished the link arm with a carbon steel brush, it worked great, but after a couple days it is turning grey. I sprayed the link with mag cleaner ( 30 seconds & rinse), and the next day it still looks GREAT. Natural aluminum color & bright. I forgot, I did use scotchbrite with the mag cleaner, where needed. (with rubber gloves & EYE PROTECTION of course).

I just wonder, are there any long term effects of useing the acids?
Last edited by rickyrcf on May 1st, 2009, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

This link is great, what I used to polish my stuff... YOU NEED THE BOOZE!!!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
juddy

Post by juddy »

Get yourself a stainless wire brush.Works great on the ally bits like suspension linkages.Carbon brushes will impregnate the alloy and look like poo.
rickyrcf

Post by rickyrcf »

Thanks juddy, I kind of figured there was some kind of reaction between the carbon steel brush and aluminum. It looks nothing like the aluminum I sprayed (etched). And my SS brushes should be here any day.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Nick came by with that stuff, sprayed a wheel in the showroom, said it did nothing and left, that stuff bitched that wheel, it was rough and blistery looking so we didnt take it off to see what would happen, a week later it was ugly as hell and white looking like old corroded alluminum
rickyrcf

Post by rickyrcf »

Spray on wait 30 SECONDS, agitate if needed, rise off.The 1 part I did 3 days ago looks NEW. Not shiny, but bright aluminum.