Setting the Sag?

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
DesertCR

Setting the Sag?

Post by DesertCR »

Ok, i've never set up a suspension before and I know that the sag is very important. Whats the best way of doing the measurements since everytime I read about it its in mm and it seems that to be able to adjust the shock with the spanner wrench, the subframe has to come off, is there an easier way? BTW I have an 01 cr250.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Well I got to wrenchin and just used a punch and hammer. My rear end was so out of wack, 5 inches of sag, rebound way out, but I think I got it pretty good right now. We'll see at the track how it works. BTW, how much can you crank down on the preload? I pretty sure its a stock spring and I weigh 180 so everything should work ok.
robertg

Post by robertg »

There are a few good shock manuals to download on this site.

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Produc ... fault.aspx
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Cool, thanks for the link.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

http://www.mb1suspension.com/id8.html
This covers race and free (also known as static sag). If you are cranking on very little or lots of pre-load you probably have the wrong spring rate....
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

I've preloaded a bit, I'm just not sure how much is too much or too little. Right now I've got about 4.5 inches of sag (114mm) which is within spec but the free sag is about 2 inches (50mm). THe spring appears to be stock (yellow) and I weigh just under 180lb so I should be able to get it on target. I guess I'll just have to add a little more preload.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I checked the RaceTech calculator and the 0.49 kg/mm stock spring is nearly spot on for a 180lb rider. I'll guess that when you crank on a little more pre-load to get the race sag between 100-105mm then the free sag will be in the ball-park at 30-40mm. Remember if it is <30mm you want the next stiffer spring.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF