Getting work done on my 2004CRF 250 and 87 CR500 Engine

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Snuck in to work today and did some work on my aluminum tank. Had too many prying eyes, so I didn't get as much done as I'd like. It's starting to come together and I'm tracking some wheels and forks. I have some YZ and a set of late mode KTZ Zoke forks, but I want CRF units for ease of assembly. It's been a turd floater around here as far as rain but I'm hoping to take the 500 iron and the sweet YZ285 out. There's a very cool track for minis at the Ridge so I might throw the KX100 in the truck and make some laps there. I used a Miller Aerowave TIG Welder on AC to weld it and 4043 wire.
Craigus

Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

:shock: :cool:
juddy

Post by juddy »

Thats awesome work,nice welding !! Where did you get the fitting for the cap ?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dude thats awesome welds :cool:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

very nice
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

lewisclan wrote:very nice
X2
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

A machinist friend at work who does 99% of my home projects and did the top piece. A dude I ride with also does some but he does water jet stuff like the solid rectangular pieces that aligned the frame tubes. Thanks for the kudos on the welding. It seemed like every time I went to fire off someone would walk up and want to shoot the shit while I'm sweating bullets if some manager might walk up. I have a TIG welder at the heat treat building and could do it over there, but it's not as nice as the Aerowave. About to have the cases split by a friend and rebuilt and assembling everything I have so far. Life is very good even though I had to pay some taxes on top of what I paid in all year. :evil: About to head out with a young hottie and slam a few margaritas and munch some good Mexican food. She'll be the desert. Woo Hoo.
Craigus
davo77

Post by davo77 »

:shock: sweet job man!!!
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Started the bottom of tha alloy tank by getting it tacked. Haven't welded that part in case it doesn't fit. Waiting on UPS to drop the front brake assy but the lame ass from eBay is dragging his ass on shipping it. Had the case bushings machined at work and he told me "they were harder than a preacher's dick at a double wedding". I actually tried reaming them then drilling them at home and told him resulting in a good laugh. He used a small carbide boring bar. Might buy a mint ~93 WR500 Yamaha that's titled for the street if I'm not mistaken to go with a mint 93 WR250 I have. Can't have too many scoots. Taking the Iron 98 Hoon and the YZ 285 out tomorrow, so I've got that going for me as Bill Murray says. Cleaning up the ports at work before I get it bored and supposed to drop the bottom off as soon as I can now that I got the bushings bored.
Craigus

Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Sweet.
Post the progress.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Progressing nicely. :cool:
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

It's been a while but I have the motor in and welding in the pipe. I did some more yesterday but didn't get to take a picture. The pipe came from an AHRMA event at Barber in Alabama but not sure what it was off of. It fit pretty sweet with a few cuts. Have to pull the head back off so I can weld the water bungs at a 90 degree then I'll finish the bottom of the alloy tank. While I've been working on this I've also got my project RZ350 bike back on the road with a sweet Hayabusa front end and new cans. Runs like a scalded dog. Wiring up the Electro Sport Speedo on that also. Hopefully I'll have some better pics. Still need to mount the ignition on the Hunny and having an issue on the air boot. Any suggestions appreciated as my carb is very close to the shock spring.
Craigus

dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

beautiful workmanship, and nice bikes you have.

I will be right behind you with my 05 CRF250F conversion.
I remember reading we will need the longer 97-01 airboot.
I am waiting for that part and a bushing to arrive before i begin.

I know i have seen a few conversions where the motor was tilted too far forward, and the carb was near 45 degree angle, and the float bowl angle would have been an issue forever.

I just remembered the early model engines had a 10mm longer reed block casting in the cylinder. This may be your issue.
I only remembered cause several years ago I ordered a new jug for a 87 motor I had and it came with the new style jug and had a 10mm spacer for the reed cage, to make up for the newer short casting

Not sure if this helps any.
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Got some stuff done on the AF project. Rad Valve solved the intake issue. Putting on the hoses and will be back on the tank. Got a set of Ohlins forks, front wheel and fork rebuild kit for $250 from a Cannondale. Hope it'll work on the CRF chassis. Hope to crank it within a week possibly with a temporary fuel supply. I want to hear it.
Craigus

cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Here's a video of one of the first starts on my AF. As you can see much of the plastic and exhaust is just hanging, but I just had to hear it. I even had the ignition clamped to the frame, but that's cool to have it even wanting to idle after getting the Keihin 39mm carb off eBay as is. Starting head stays today which will be titanium since I can weld that at home, and some mounting bosses for ignition and exhaust. I'm motivated again, so the next couple of weeks should accomplish a lot.
Craigus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4ggfzXzqo
riverman

Post by riverman »

Tank looks great. How much will it hold?
The video was great the smile on your face was priceless. Nice to see someone older like me that still likes big bore bikes. The kids in the neighborhood think I'm nuts they see me ride a wheelie out of site or out riding the shit out of the Banshee. :lol:
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Not sure about the tank capacity as I plan to have it drop down as much as possible without causing rubbing or making it a bitch to remove. I dig the big bores as I also have a 98 Iron Frame and had a 92 that I traded for my current TIG Welding System. A young guy at the place I ride a lot came up on a brand new YZF450 and was facinated with the hoon, so I talked him into taking it for a spin. He came back with a grin and couldn't believe the spread of power and tried buying it on the spot. They draw a crowd and I'm sure the AF will even more. I'll have some fresh pics this weekend and post them.
Craigus
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Just welded the coil mount but need to trim it to tie in a little better. Is it ok to add some length to the wires leading to the CDI box? I want to mount it to the steering head, but the 87 ignition wire is too short for it. So damned busy at work I haven't even started my head stays. Pisses me off. You can see my 2 into 1 head mod. I welded it on the inside to keep it as low as possible. I'm going to mount a K thermocouple and small temp logger from work the first time I ride it to make sure the temps are ok. I can weld a small threaded bung on a radiator tank. Been building this aluminum trailer to haul the AF and may be done for the first ride. All alloy with SS fastners and mounting loops even shackles for axle mount. It starts easy and sounds pretty wicked. I'll figure out the Ohlins forks once I have it dialed a little better.
Craigus

britincali

Post by britincali »

Very cool :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Finished the head stays tonight. Went with titanium because my TIG machine is DC Straight Polarity only making aluminum difficult unless it's at least .125" thick or more. I also have plenty of argon but not a lot of helium as I used that on my aluminum trailer. I can now get the bottom of the tank finished and the shroud mounts for the tank also. I got a little oxidation on the end of the welds which isn't cool with Ti, but since it's welded all around it should be way strong and offer no flex. This is the left side. This shit isn't very much fun to cut or drill.
Craigus

cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

Snuck into work today and did a lot on the bottom of my alloy tank. I would have finished doing the hot cosmetic passes on the thin parts of the tank, but a dude who I really don't trust came walking up and was snooping. After he walked away I bolted. I have the thicker part cut out and waiting on the CNC dude to put the o-ring recess and threaded holes for the outlet. Before I seal it off with the bung I'll send it to precision cleaning and have it vibra cleaned in hot soapy water for an hour or so to make sure there isn't any aluminum grinding dust. I also sweated over some of the rougher weld penetration and the occasional piece of TIG wire protruding. Still have to fab the front mount and get ready for the back mount and the shroud mounting points. It looks like after the holidays I'll dig up my yard and head to the end of the street for the maiden voyage. I'll have my Hero cam when I do.
Craigus

Nodge

Re: Getting work done on my 2004CRF 250 and 87 CR500 Engine

Post by Nodge »

cryzsurfer wrote:Snuck into work today and did a lot on the bottom of my alloy tank. I would have finished doing the hot cosmetic passes on the thin parts of the tank, but a dude who I really don't trust came walking up and was snooping. After he walked away I bolted.
Your boss must be one tight britincali if you are that worried about getting caught doing a few welds on your own time.
Very nice work, though!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

He isn't even my boss but is known to do anything to further his position. Thanks for the kudos. I wish I'd have stayed with at least .090 sheet for the bottom as the .062 made it a real hassle. I did have to cut the bottom loose several times as it was just too tight. It's been a real cluster fuck to quote Gunny Highway from Heartbreak Ridge. I'm still going to cut out a relief for plug cap clearance.
Craigus
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

burn down the building while welding your tank :lol: . be kicking rocks down the road
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

I'm thinking the next tank will be titanium due to ease of shearing and of course I can do the welding at home on my DC inverter.
Craigus