1992 makeover

Recount your rebuilds here!
Neilios

1992 makeover

Post by Neilios »

Bought last Friday at 7pm,

Stripped down, oiled greased and rebuilt using CRF450 triple clamps forks front wheel etc

New plastics and graphics ready to be fitted after its shakedown.

Not bad in a few nights, ready to ride Sunday then on Bank Holiday Firday at Apex Track for a 500 only 2 stroke day. :lol:
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

good work! congrats!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Very nice. Real clean! Did you sandblast your engine cases?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

south central hoon

hoofarted wrote:Very nice. Real clean! Did you sandblast your engine cases?
it looks like the cases were blasted when he got it....i wondered the same thing. i would like to blast mine when i rebuild my 92 motor...
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

The cases are bare aluminium and have not been blasted, I will be checking the motor when I have more time, it had clean oil, receipts for mains and piston and it selected and pulls well so often its best to leave it alone. I have never been a fan of blasting engine parts, I generally clean and finish by hand then paint or coat.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sweet. did you install gen3 forks ?
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Yes mate CRF450 forks fitted, looking for an Ohlins rear shock?

A quick turn round and ready from tomorrows ride out, the tightest track in th NE (not a good idea after one a fw weeks aga broken shoulder and colar ago)!!!

Fun Fun Fun
racein01

Post by racein01 »

looks good mate....I may have to keep an eye out for some of them forks also...my ride currently has paiolo forks and they need some expensive work done on them....Iam sure you are aware that your chain looks a little tight in your last pic.
cheers
south central hoon

Neilios wrote:
The cases are bare aluminium and have not been blasted.

I have never been a fan of blasting engine parts, I generally clean and finish by hand then paint or coat.
the reason we ask is that a 92 motor has black cases :roll:

someone stripped, or blasted the black, or that is not a 89-93 motor dude.
97af

Post by 97af »

Nice job on the fork swap.Do yourself a favor though and loosen the chain a bit.....

"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

The look of the steelie with the golden CRF 450 fork is cool mate :cool: :cool:

I'm thinking in a marzzochi-magnum 50 for enduro but i don't know how difficult it will be to fit...
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Chain sorted lads, knew it was needed, the engine is a 1990 according to the number.

took it to th track today, the response was good from all the older lads but nobody beleived we were riding these agains new 450's some of the lads riding were younger than our bikes, I was only past bythree riders all day well happy.

Post by 484 »

sharp bike. I have those same graphics. I would like some fresher ones though. The Factory Effex website is worthless. Where did you get yours?Do you have a specific model number for those?
thanks
john
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

97af wrote:Do yourself a favor though and loosen the chain a bit.....

HEY!!!! Thats my line!!!

:wink:
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

John,

Our local dealer had them in stock along with the plastics, I will have to check the packaging for details if the bin has not been emptied!!!

It was a good day.

Post by 484 »

oh hey don't go diggin in the trash for me, I'll keep looking. FWIW, you're lucky if dealers around here have the spark plug you need, let alone aftermarket graphics for a discontinued model.
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Just had the bike to bits again for a check over and the engine has been black (evidence of stripping and paint in corners) so its definately right. Some one did spend plenty of time doing that.
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Been out again this weekend, put some supemoto wheels on and a Pro-extreme wet front and a Continental enduro tyre on the rear, mint! did some road work and plenty of tracks even the local quarry. Goes like Hell.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

so did you ride the bike before swapping the forks over to get a good comparison? how much do the new forks lower the front by? 20mm? do the crf triple clamps require any machining? have the crf triple clamps offset the rake/trail by much? and were you able to use your old brakes/wheel/spacers, did they fit the crf set up? im looking at doing the same upgrade to my 01cr5, apparently i dont need the crf triple clamps cos the forks fit straight into 06 and above cr5 triples, was thinking of using crf 08 triples though cos they come with steering damper.what year crf upgrade is yours?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

I mainly fitted the forks as the original ones were set up for supermoto!! I use the entire front end (wheel brake bars etc) off a CRF450 r4 which I had in the garage, I changed the stem (use the CR5 one) and machined the top clamp and made a spacer as per the details, I have not noticed any difference in the height of the bike, the forks I had were set up for me on my CRF and worked well, maybe a little bit hard but fine. I am not sure you would get the same benefit on an 2001 bike as the suspension was better than the older ones anyway. hope that helps, if you need anything more please just ask, I can take more pictures if required.

regards Neil
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Used the bike last week at Apex 500 day, what a good ride, my brother used his KX and the bike was faultless (wish the rider had been the same).

looking forward to next week now, been out the last 4 weeks in a row, the CRF450 had been relegated to 2nd bike!!!
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah its amazing how boring a 450 feels after riding a 500. sure the lap times wont be as fast as a 450s, but the excitement levels of a 500 cant be topped!
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Neilios

Post by Neilios »

Yes mate they are fun, would like an old 480 or 450 next.
XP650r, CR500AF, CR500 (steelie) CRF450r, XL250 K3 and XL250 Motorsport
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I saw some cool video of Apex 500 day a while back. I think it was a practice. Someone broke an AF in half.
Those videos and some from Holland are cool, wish I had more.
Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpKN3I6 ... r_embedded