water pump seal

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.

water pump seal

Post by 484 »

actually I've got 2 questions but they're both easy. First, getting a little coolant out of weephole. I don't think any oil is in it and I didn't see any coolant in oil when I drained it, so only first seal is bad, correct? So this should be a pretty easy yank-cover-off-and replace-seal fix right? is the impeller gonna be a bear to yank?
2nd, I'm pretty sure I have the stock carb but it has PJ stamped on the bowl. Does this mean power jet? I'm new to this 500 stuff but the manual don't say nothing about no power jet. It's a 96, BTW.
oh, and here's my first ride report: kickass! right foot hurts though.
thanks
john
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

The water pump seal is literally a 10 minute job, it's easier than changing jets. I think I used a pick to get the old one out, that's about the only thing that might make the job easier for you.

The stock carb is a 38 PJ. You'vve got the original on there.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

the outer seal is the easy one.. like was mentioned either a small flat screw driver or a pick and it comes right out.. and just grease up the new one and slide her on in there.. Piece of cake.. the impeller came right off mine after a little tinkerin with it.. could always put her in gear stand on the brake and get it off that way :D I just used my mini imact thingamajiggy to get it off gently :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC

Post by 484 »

thanks guys. After posting last nite I looked in the manual and it wants you to yank side cover, drive out bearing and oil seal, just to get behind the water seal and drive it out with their special tool.Nuts to that. I'm with you guys.
thanks!
j
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

if that seal is bad, then the bearing is probably bad too. i just replaced this on my bike.

the outer seal went, and the inner seal was weak to say the least and the bearing was junk too.

I replaced the impeller shaft too. the bearing marred up the shaft pretty good.

do the whole job. :wink:
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

the first outer seal i did with a screwdriver and pried it out.. the second one i did 2 weeks ago i had to pull the whole side cover off to replace the oil seal and the bearing and wp shaft..
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC