Honda dealer told me they stopped making new CR500s so...

Recount your rebuilds here!
vhoney

Honda dealer told me they stopped making new CR500s so...

Post by vhoney »

Once upon a time I decided I wanted to buy a mid 90s flash red Honda CR500 model bike and rebuild one because....well because they are cool and they arent made any more and because well I just like the idea of riding 500s. My 2001 CR500 is in original condition and in good shape but I like projects and given the winter and the fact I havent done a project like this since 2007 I was itching to do one.

So I bought a 1994 "ebay special" from CA with one original owner. I spoke to him on the phone a few times and turns out he is a Honda dealership tech near LA and bought the bike new. He said mechanically it was good even though the pictures he advertised on ebay reflected the 15 years of age one would expect cosmetically on something that gets used the way a CR does. I chose the 1994 because it was the last year of the Showa suspension and the first year of the silver cases among other things.....like the price was right :lol: Well the seller indicated he had done a top end once and the bottom end was stock and in spec. He said everything was good.

So I selected Buy It Now and set up shipping. A few weeks go by and getting the title out of him is becoming a hassle. The bike shows up and I manage to get it started and ride it around a bit. The bike looked a bit rough for my tastes but it was all there and it seemed to run ok. But still no title. I call him multiple times and finally a title shows up.

Turns out the frame has been powdercoated black and I cant read the VIN to verify that the title matches. I was going to take it apart to the frame and basically rebuild every last piece of it to make it look new and part of that included powdercoating the frame white again so I can revive the VIN stamp then.

Here are some pics.

The ebay ad pic:

The day it came off the truck here in GA:

So then I got it home and began taking it apart. I have a good friend who came over to check things out with it since it is winter, we are both gear heads, ride bikes and were bored. He is a 5'2" MMA cage fighter but in these pics, he looks like he has no legs. Pretty funny pic actually.

The radiators were tweaked but didnt leak so off they went to Mylers who do absolutely amazing work.

After a few more hours of work, the frame ends up on my work bench ready to get blasted and coated.

So the motor and suspension gets dropped off at my buddy's shop Hyperformance Cycles here in GA http://hyperformancecycles.net/
and he proceeds to determine that a couple things are awry with both the motor and the shock. I wanted to at min rebuild the crank and replace the case bearings and when he split the cases, he found the right inner case half cracked. He managed to determine that a particular washer in the washer and gear sequence on one of the shafts was 1mm too thick and when it was bolted back together it caused stress creating the crack....as it turns out 2 cracks. So Mr Ebayer was lying about either never having been in the bottom end or buying it new. Either way I dont have the time to deal with that dick head so a new case got ordered. Along with a new crank...its only money right.

Here is the case with the crack.....

So a few weeks go by....some money(a lot) gets spent and things start coming back.

I got the frame back last week and began putting items back into it. The engine got a new crank, all new bearings, a new case half, a fresh top end with Eric Gorr porting work, the suspension got new seals, oil, springs for me (hefty) race tech gold valves and a good cleaning, the wheels got excel rims, stainless spokes and nipples and the hubs repainted black, and I found all original Honda plastic in the warehouse. Unfortunately, I could not locate the shrouds with the 1994 graphics so I went with 1993 instead. I am going to keep looking though.

The freshly powdercoated frame:

Subframe and airbox(which I managed to clean up nicely) attached for a pic:

Motor in:

Forks and rads on:

More to come as I get more done and some more pics.

I still need to pick up the shock, which Mr Ebayer never told me had the threads in the lower clevis stripped out and had to buy a new shock and the swingarm. I also need to buy a PWK carb and get footpegs, chain and sprockets, skidplate, exhaust and some misc fasteners and then she will be ready to ride.

Looking forward to it.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

lookin good. i have a factory shock for it. it came off my 94. i've got everything for sale but the motor, carb, electronics.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

i already bought a shock. i just need to pick it up from my buddy at hyperformance. thanks though :D

have you sold anything from your 94?

what do you have left?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Glad to see a Steelie getting some love... in this world of alloy....

There was 1 ( 1! ) steelie at HoonFEST....

Pretty amazing, all the conversions going on....

Post by 484 »

I've seen some shady stuff come from supposed bike mechanics also. Ignorance and deceit are different things though. ur right a real dickhead!
j
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

gotta be carefull on ebay for sure. but other than the stipped bolts and cracked case it looks like a decent bike to me. ive seen '07 bikes in alot worse shape :wink:
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

AlisoBob wrote:Glad to see a Steelie getting some love... in this world of alloy....

There was 1 ( 1! ) steelie at HoonFEST....

Pretty amazing, all the conversions going on....
thanks. if GA was closer to CA on the map you would have two. sadly its not an option for me.
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

100hp honda wrote:gotta be carefull on ebay for sure. but other than the stipped bolts and cracked case it looks like a decent bike to me. ive seen '07 bikes in alot worse shape :wink:
agreed. i knew that going in. i was fully prepared to put a crank and bottom end bearings in it since he said "it was original" just so i wouldnt have to worry about it for a longgggg time. the only part that annoys me is the shoddy shit some of the bike has/had on it like having to replace the case half. just thankful they were still available.

instead of cotter pins on the foot peg pivots, he had paper clips. no shit.

again the threads on the lower shock mount, the clevis, were stripped so he put a longer bolt through and a nut. moron.

my mechanic and friend is building me a basterdized, frankenstein shock with some kyb parts from a 95 shock and some showa parts from the original 94. the kyb actually has a 2mm larger shock shaft diameter and the seal head/piston diameters and Race Tech's valving suggestions are the same for both years so I should end up with the best of both worlds.

bottom line is i go things the right way even if they cost more. i was fully planning to end up with the same finished product i will end up with....it will just cost me a little bit more in the end. oh well. still a cool project and a cool bike.

thanks for the well wishes. look forward to posting up some more pics.
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

484 wrote:I've seen some shady stuff come from supposed bike mechanics also. Ignorance and deceit are different things though. ur right a real dickhead!
j
in the case of this transaction....i will have to disagree about your comment regarding ignorance and deceit being different things.

the seller claimed to be a service tech at a Honda dealership in CA.
the seller claimed to have owned the bike since new and never gone into the bottom end.

since the presumption is that a dealer employed service tech has been factory trained or had some sort of formal training, then i wouldnt think he would be a "supposed mechanic" but in fact a real mechanic....or at least that is how he represented himself to me over the phone.

so if he was in fact a "real mechanic" then ignorance is not an excuse. at least not one his employer's customers would be happy to listen to if he messed their bikes up.

and deceit...well is what it is.

either way it makes him a dickhead if you ask me. and a liar and a....well you get the idea.

bottom line for me is that my time is worth more than to have to hash it out with ebay, paypal and this dickhead to try and recoup the cost of a case half. not really worth it and since i dont have to interact with this dickhead ever again, it isnt even worth it to "teach him a lesson".

buyer beware.

thats why....as you can see i do most of my own work and the work i farm out to others is closely supervised.

in the end...i will have what i wanted so i will be happy.
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

I really can't understand why people have to bullshit when selling something. When i was selling my 03 crf 450 i had a young kid looking to buy it. In the end i put myself in his shoes and decided to tell him to keep looking. I felt no need to take his hard earned money the bike had close to 200 hours on it. In the end i traded the crf to my buddy who knew all about the bike and its history. The best part was i became the owner of a 97 500.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

it can only get better

Post by 484 »

oh that's what I meant vhoney. Some people are ignorant of what may be wrong with a bike, original owner guy knew better. Ur right tho, it's better to assume you will have to get into bottom end on 15 yr old bike and then be pleasantly suprised when it all looks good.
j
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

Got the wheels back. A lot of progress should be happening soon.

vhoney

Post by vhoney »

I got the shock and swingarm back. As some will remember I had a problem with the original owner screwing me on the shock. The threads on the lower shock mount, the clevis, were stripped and he had put a different bolt and a nut on the bike. The bike is a 94 and has a Showa shock. I bought a used 95 shock which was a KYB. The shock bodies are slightly different in shape and appearance and the condition of the Showa body was better than the KYB. The Showa however had only a 14mm shaft whereas the KYB had a 16mm shaft. I now have a Frankenshock with Showa body but KYB internals. The piston diameters, shim stack specs from Race Tech for their gold valve and overall shock lengths are all the same so it should work well....looking forward to that first ride.

So without further delay....here are the latest pics from last night.

BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Nice bike!

I have a $900 '93. :lol:

vhoney

So she is done and is begging to be ridden...

Post by vhoney »

Now the DAMN rain needs to quit :? :lol:

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

looks bitchin :cool: . was all the '93 plastics/seat readily available or was it a pain in the ass to find ?
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

Thanks!!

Mine is actually a 94 and almost all the plastic on it is 94 stuff. To your point...the shrouds are 93 stuff because they didnt have any more 94 stuff. Honda may have made more but at the time I bought this in early 2009 it was the last set on the shelf. Needless to say its going to be a track only bike and no mud from now on. I have other bikes for those other conditions.
crf69

Post by crf69 »

great fooking job!!!!!!
They should take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity sort itself out.