the DEVIL'S SLED plated CR500AF SUMO build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
LAYNFRM

the DEVIL'S SLED plated CR500AF SUMO build

Post by LAYNFRM »

well, i've officially decided that i'm not building a steel frame CR500 motard. the GEN 3 conversion is what i decided on.

it's gonna probobly take a month or two from start to finish. at least that's what i'm hoping for. i'll begin the cutting on the CR250 frame in a week or two. hopefully this won't take as long as alohar1's bike. it won't look quite as badass either though. it has to be done and tuned before the end of may for the www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com deals gap trip.

the head has been sent to Roostius Maximus in canada to have a decompression lever setup installed. it's the same decompression setup as satan's supermoto.

here's the build list so far

chassis: 05 GEN 3 CR250
engine: 94 CR500, bored once since new

here already:
excel/talon black/gold wheel set
motomaster 320mm rotor w/braking caliper relocator
pro taper bars
front fender ornaments
acerbis handguards
ministalk LED blinkers
fender spikes from my 450X

ordered:
Acerbis black plastic kit
UFO style 1 sumo fender, black
baja designs LED tail light
Clarke 3.2 gallon tank, black. gonna use CRFX fuel petcock
V-force delta 2 reed cage
SDG tall seat
trailtech kickstand
renthal 15 tooth front sprocket
moose fender bag to carry premix oil
trailtech vapor with billet mount
white trailtech X2 halogen headlight
distanzias
rain race DOT tires

still need to order:
Service honda digital ignition/high output stator setup
pro circuit exhaust
acerbis rear auxillary fuel tank
aggressive dual sport tires for stock wheels
CR125 graphics and swingarm stickers

here's the few pictures i've taken so far. i plan to take a lot throughout the build process

the 94 CR500 i bought for the engine

and some disassembly pictures. it's down to bare frame and the motor is out. now everything is in a little pile till i put it on ebay

if anyone needs anything from the steel frame bike, let me know.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

nice one , look forward to seeing this build :cool:
kball1313

motard

Post by kball1313 »

I'm glad that more and more people are getting on this bandwagon. CR500 supermotos are the most badass motards there is. Period.
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

here's the 05 CR250 donor with my wheels off my 450X on it. we ran the basic lighting wires tonight to be used with a cordless drill battery. that's just what is going to be used to get it street plated before doing the AF conversion. after it's plated, the cutting will begin, and then it'll have the SH ignition/stator and do a proper wiring setup with shrink wrapped wires for a factory look. my stock 450X headlight and some WR250X front blinkers were also mounted tonight just till it's plated.

08 Polaris RZR
Lumpyboy

Post by Lumpyboy »

Would love to do this but seems that finding a plated gen 3 CR250 is difficult. In MA, can't plate a CR. I think in NH it might be possible so am on lookout for one. People often confuse having a title for being able to get a street plate.
SH Gen 3 500AF and various other bikes
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

i can't wait to see the conversion finished :bling: :cool:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

Lumpyboy wrote:Would love to do this but seems that finding a plated gen 3 CR250 is difficult. In MA, can't plate a CR. I think in NH it might be possible so am on lookout for one. People often confuse having a title for being able to get a street plate.
do you know anyone in a nearby state that you trust enough to get one plated in their state, then you "buy" it from them? you'll have to pay the taxes twice i guess, but you'll have something no one else has.
xtremeslide wrote:i can't wait to see the conversion finished :bling: :cool:
you and me both. i can't wait to get started on the actual conversion.

parts that have come in since the beginning of the thread:
V-force 2 reed cage
SDG tall seat, black
Avon pro extreme rain race front tire
Maxxis Goldspeed 160/60 rain race DOT rear tire
Avon Distanzia's. 120 front & 160 rear that is about a foot wide, lol
trailtech kickstand
renthal 15 tooth front sprocket
moose fender bag to carry premix oil

still waiting on these parts to come in:
trailtech vapor with billet mount
white trailtech X2 halogen headlight
Acerbis black plastic kit
UFO style 1 sumo fender, black
baja designs LED tail light
Clarke 3.2 gallon tank, black. gonna use CRFX fuel petcock
the head is currently in canada at roostius maximus' place getting the decompression setup done.

i've got about a grand worth of stuff left to order, and might end up adding a couple things to that list soon. i guess i'll be able to order the rest of the stuff when i get my income tax return in. that reminds me, i need to go send that off tomorrow. as soon as the tail light comes in, we're throwing it and finishing wiring up the 05 CR250 to go and get it plated. then we're going to swap titles and the next day i'll have that bike torn down to nothing so we can start cutting
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

some more stuff came in today. here's what i've got so far.

Clarke 3.2 gallon desert tank

Acerbis black plastics. still waiting on UFO sumo fender

V-force reed cage

Trailtech kickstand. might have to cut an inch or so off.

SDG tall seat and Moose fender pack to hold spare premix oil

Avon pro extreme front rain tire and Maxxis Goldspeed rear DOT rain tire

header guard for when i lay it down...

and i half ass polished the clutch cover. got a bit left to do.
08 Polaris RZR
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

how much is a pipeguard like that?
torque monster

Post by torque monster »

Try Flatland Racing, they may have one just like that are pre shaped for your pipe - think I paid about $75 for mine. Very good product.

Roostius_Maximus wrote:how much is a pipeguard like that?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

thanks
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:how much is a pipeguard like that?
about $40 from rockymountainatv.
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

stuck the plastics, tank, and seat on the 250 today. went for a spin on it, and it was a blast. needed a little taller gearing for cruising, but the 500 will have a 15 tooth front instead of a 13. we'll be getting it plated next friday, then i'll tear it down to start cutting. as soon as the street title comes in, we're swapping titles, and he'll own my 450X as a dual sport bike till he can get some SUMO wheels.

08 Polaris RZR
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

:cool:
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

well, it's been a while since any updates. i rode it around as a 250 for a couple weeks, and thursday i brought it to work with me and tore it down. more and more stuff has come in

i still haven't ordered an exhaust or anything to run the lights. those are the only to major things i need to order to get it on the road.

right before teardown

and during...

started cutting

the 250 motor out. goin on ebay tomorrow

bent some hard to find tubing

yes, it's supposed to have a slightly different bend so it will clear the cases at the water pump, and give enough room for the motor mounts

the jig

the jig welded stationary, lol

after a couple hours of cleaning up the Y, here's the top

the head with decompression setup

new OEM piston, rings, circlips, wristpin, and wristpin bearing

billet vapor protector and dual star mirrors

trailtech X2 headlight
08 Polaris RZR
chachi243

sick project

Post by chachi243 »

pm replied X2, nice build by the way..... the two stroke chassis outperforms the thumper platfrom in every way including fit and finish..... in my opinion..... hope i could help with the supermoto specific info Tyler! Sean
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

you guys are making me want to build one of these sexy beasts so freaking bad.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
LAYNFRM

Re: sick project

Post by LAYNFRM »

chachi243 wrote:pm replied X2, nice build by the way..... the two stroke chassis outperforms the thumper platfrom in every way including fit and finish..... in my opinion..... hope i could help with the supermoto specific info Tyler! Sean
thanks man. every time i tried replying to your PM, i would get a little bit typed and IE would shut down. i was on the shitty computer at the fire station, and after that happened 3 or 4 times, i gave up.

cliffnotes of my reply would be:
case saver and swingarm have already been clearanced
running a 15/39 setup with X-ring chain
front sprocket has been flipped
excel/talon 4.25 rear with a 150
rear chain guide bolts are already flipped

decided not to do all that to run a slipper since i'm slow and will probobly just bust my ass some more trying to back it in. i'll wait till i get an XR650R, lace some motard wheels up eventually, and then try to back that heavy pig of a bike in. i wouldn't mind trying a recluse pro though with the override and handbrake since i tend to like wheelies, and with this bike i have no engine braking to do standup wheelies.
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

got the Y and downtubes tacked today. the guy that is going to TIG weld it for me had to go home early since his grandfather is on his deathbed. i just wanted it tacked so i could test fit some other things. should be able to get it fully welded this week or early next week.

i ordered the 296 AF silencer straight from pro circuit's site, and they emailed me today saying it was on backorder and would be at least three weeks before they got them in. i told them i have to have it done by early may so i can bring it to north carolina. hopefully they come through for me, or i'll have a rigged setup for that trip.
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

the frame is welded, radiators are "modified", and i'm going to use the old PC header that is a little dinged up and was really rusty. i had it sandblasted and i'll spray it with some high temp black paint till i can get a new platinum series PC header. i'll take some pictures of the frame and everything else one day this week.

i need to make some templates for headstays so my buddy can laser cut them and bend them for me. 3/16"s carbon steel should work well, right? he can get any material i want, so whatever y'all think would keep the vibes down is what i'll use.

i moved the Y up a hint farther than most people do i guess, so i need to fab up some lower radiator brackets.

the wiseco piston should be here next week and i can have the engine put together. besides that, all that's left is to make the headstays, a coil bracket, fab up some lower radiator mounts, change the crank seals (not needed, but doing while it's apart), and put it all together

the jug ended up being 1mm overbore, so i had to bring the OEM piston back and order a wiseco. what size and where EXACTLY do i need to drill the holes, and how many? pictures would make it a whole lot easier.
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

well, the bike is coming along. that's about the only update i have. one week left to get it done and have it running good enough for the trip to deals gap. i'm really pushing it when it comes to tuning the bike. i guess i'll just run it rich since i'd rather foul a few $15 plugs than put a hole in the piston.

there are still a few things left to do, and we haven't even started the wiring at all. i definitely won't be able to do much night riding with the little 40 watt stator. i'll be going to get the radiators done tomorrow morning. hopefully they'll be able to get it done quick enough for me to head to my buddy's dad's metal fab shop to get some headstays cut and bent. he's gonna have to make a bracket for the intake boot i got from frank too. i've still got to change the fork seals and get some tires mounted up too.

all you get is crappy cell phone pictures i just took. low lighting and i didn't feel like adjusting the settings on the phone, lol. i'm too lazy to pull the camera out. it's easier to just email crappy pictures to myself than have to find the USB cable.

08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

IT IS DONE!!!

well, almost 3 months to the day and it is finished. we got it running today and it runs pretty dang strong. i need to get the starting teqnique down, because 10 minutes of kicking when it's cold is just not cool, lol. when it is warm i can get it in a few kicks. the compression release i had roostius maximus install is a freakin lifesaver. it is the only reason i can kick the dang thing, haha. we tried without it and couldn't get it to crank.

pictures to come when i can take some in the daylight. i still need to post some pictures of the frame and the welds. i think it came out really nice, and looks factory (minus the diamond strapping for added support). all of the wiring is heatshrinked and we used either factory connectors or waterproof bullet connectors. everything is soldered. we can't get the MOOSE lighting coil to run the baja design LED tail light or LED blinkers for some reason. i'm going to use a drill batter to run the LED's till we figure that out.

in closing, to be honest, i'm kinda dissapointed. i really don't think it's much faster than my 450X motard. maybe i don't have it tuned right or something? i punched off from first next to my buddy on his XR650R motard with a few mods, and afterwards he asked if i was running 3/4 throttle or something, cause he wasn't far behind at all. i was expecting a little more umph since when it was a 250 2 stroke (with the same gearing i'm running on the 500) it was faster than my 450X.
08 Polaris RZR
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

:cool: Get some videos up too!
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

the compression release is seriously awesome. i've got it down to 10 kicks cold, and 3 at most when warm. this is without putting too much pressure on my left leg when putting effort into it since my left knee is pretty bad off. (needs ACL surgery BAD)

power wise, it wheelies in first and second at the flick of the wrist. third gear it takes a hint of clutch or just keep it a little higher in the RPM range when i want to pull it up. i have a pro circuit exhaust and v-force delta 2 reed cage, stock carb with 178 main and stock pilot and needle position at sea level. i ran my buddy on the XR650R again (T-4 exhaust, edelbrock pumper carb, K&N filter) and i pull a bike length or so till 3rd, then when i shift into 4th, he pulls by me and out pulls me the rest of the way. we're both running 15/40 gearing since we're on the street riding. i know the CR500 will wax the XRR stock for stock. why am i getting my ass handed to me in a drag race? he's 40 lbs lighter than i am, but the XRR is about 90 lbs heavier, and has less power!!! i'm seriously bummed, as i was pretty sure i could wax the new 450's, but i can't even beat a freakin slightly modded XR650R. i can just ride my big red pig motard and run about the same as i am now without the better sounding motor.
08 Polaris RZR
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

what year is that trans?