a few steelie questions (will be a plated motard)

Recount your rebuilds here!
LAYNFRM

a few steelie questions (will be a plated motard)

Post by LAYNFRM »

i might be buying a 94 CR500 soon, and have a couple options, and even more questions.

i can guess that the AF would probobly excel when compared to a 94 SF, but by how much? i ask because i can't decide whether i want to just throw some motard wheels and a light kit on it so i can get it plated (i would then be selling my 06 450X motard), or go through the work of swapping the motor in my 450X frame and parting the 94 chassis out. is it really worth the extra work and money (i can't fab stuff too well, and can't weld at all)

it might see some sand use once or twice a year, and i'll probobly hit a dual sport trail every once in a while, but the bike will be on the street 90+% of the time.

who sells some high output lighting stators that can run the trailtech X2 HID setup (preferably with option of running the high and low beams on at the same time)? i'll probobly get something similar to the baja designs kit and just use the X2 headlight

is anything interchangeable from a 2000 CR250 or 2006 CRF450X? wheels mainly, since if not, i'll have to sell my motard wheels/brake kit just to get another set for this bike

any other tips (for motarding or not) would be greatly appreciated
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

It's quicker/easier/cheaper to convert a steelie for street/motard use than to build up a conversion.
I was searching for a 500 to convert for street use, then I wanted one to convert to a street sumo.
I found this place...had to have a conversion.
I fell into a deal on a 2nd gen 125, scrounged up the necessary parts and the whole thing got out of hand.
I'm finally in the finishing stages.

I still need to search for that magical ATV lighting coil.

If I would have stuck to the original plan of a street steelie, I'd have been riding it 8 months ago.

Check your local laws on plating a dirt bike. It's easy here, other states are a bitch.
I found out the hard way that Dairyland won't cover an MX bike for the street. I had to go through Progressive to insure the plated 480.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

i found this page maybe it could help for the light question...

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Eline_ ... _coil.html
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
_joshua_

Post by _joshua_ »

Or directly the SH....

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html

130W for the SH VS 100W for the e-line, and "Rotor and stator fit inside stock ignition cover"....... :wink:
CRF450R SuperMotard.
CR500AF SuperMotard under construction.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

started an AF build already. it's a plated 05 CR250 that i need to have done by the first week of may for a deals gap trip later in may
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

_joshua_ wrote:Or directly the SH....

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html

130W for the SH VS 100W for the e-line, and "Rotor and stator fit inside stock ignition cover"....... :wink:

Did they ever fix the starting issues w/the digital system?????
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

Another option besides the SH piece is to swap over to a Cr250 ignition, most of those have much higher wattage lighting stators available.