Anybody hear about the rider shot in Mexico??

WTF Happened!!!!
Steiner 311

Anybody hear about the rider shot in Mexico??

Post by Steiner 311 »

Shooting Occurs During SCORE Baja 1000 Prerun Opening Weekend
Dirt Bike Moto Rider Steve Martz SHOT by a Mexican near Jamau, Baja California

Ensenada, Baja California — (November 2, 2008) 4:45PM UPDATE: The rider and shooting victim has been identified as Steve Martz, who finished the 2007 SCORE Baja 1000 in 5th position in Class 22, Open Pro Motorcycles. Martz was riding with teammate/driver of record, Dan Walsh along with Aaron Cooper near Mike's Sky Rancho on Sunday heading home from pre running in Northern Baja.

Sometime in the middle of the night, their chase crew driving a pickup truck left for Mexicali seemingly abandoning the three riders at Mikes Sky Rancho. Chris Haines Motorcycle Tours also spent the night at Mikes Sky Rancho and agreed to tote the riders gear bags to Ensenada while the three riders rode North to Ojos to catch the course up to RM120 and finally on home.

The riders ventured into the dirt at the turn off to Jamau and headed north and came across a fence line covered in brush where the shooting took place. As Steve road towards the gate, I (Aaron Cooper) was about 40 feet behind Steve when I saw him fall over as if he had went to put his foot down but the ground was not there. As I looked up and to the right I saw a man with a gun on the other side of the fence about 100 feet out behind a large bush. He was aiming a gun at in our direction. Before I could get to Steve I was off the bike running to get out of the man’s line of sight. I was screaming at Dan to stop as he was coming up behind me.

Martz was struck in the sternum by what was described to DIRTnewz as a small caliber bullet. With Martz on the ground, Cooper scrambled for cover. Dan Walsh arrived and thought that Martz and Cooper were joking around when in fact Martz had been shot in the chest. Walsh attempted to start Martz' moto kicking it some 10-15 times but it wouldn't start. Aaron ran over and pushed the bike out of the line of site and tried to start the bike with no luck. They abandoned Martz' bike and put Martz on the back of Walsh' motorcycle and headed for Highway 3. Enroute they discovered that the shooting victim Martz could not hold on the back of Walsh while riding. They stopped 1.5 miles from the shooting and began to make emergency calls. Aaron’s first call was to Binational Emergency were no one answered. Aaron’s second call was to his Dad. After getting the call for help out, we placed Steve on Walsh bike and let Martz ride solo to the highway. Once at the highway, Dan and Aaron waved any and every vehicle done for help.

Desert Assassin's Trophy Truck driver, Cameron Steele and his wife, Heidi Steele, were prerunning near Borrego when they decided to head to Ojos and prerun RM 40-120. While traveling through Valle Trinidad one of the Desert Assassin's crew members saw Dan Walsh in the back of a military Hummer and Cameron and his crew went to investigate what was going on.

Afterwards when approaching Mexicali in his chase vehicles, Cam Steele told DIRTnewz over the phone the story that unfolded.

"One of my guys said Dan was in the back of a military Hummer and I thought that was strange so we headed into Trinidad to see what was up. We found Walsh and Martz at the medical clinic in Trinidad and helped them with the process of a Med-A-Vac. The chopper finally arrived from Tijuana and it was so small I first thought this could not be the chopper. The pilot jumped out and began refueling the chopper with a 15 gallon gas container he brought with him inside the chopper. While he was syphoning the Jet A fuel, the medical paramedic was strapping in Martz on a backboard, but his legs from the knees down were hanging out the chopper. We wrapped up his legs with a blanket and heavy on the duct tape and they strapped him down with some straps similar to motorcycle straps and then the paramedic was kneeling above Martz as they flew away. It was truly incredible but it got the job done. Last I heard from Oscar Ramos, the SCORE Attorney, was that Martz was in surgery in Tijuana."

Walsh and Cooper were being transported individually by Cam Steele's chase crews, one to Tecate with the Desert Assassins scheduled to cross the border before 10pm Sunday evening.

Jas......................................................................................................
"Practice does NOT make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect!"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:shock: :shock:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

That's fucked up !!!!! I live right on the Mexico/EL Paso border and I can honestly say I HATE MEXICANS !!! :evil: :evil:
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

That's exactly why I quit going to Mexico!!!

About 13 years ago I was in Ensenada racing a class 1 car for the Baja 500.
We were going through contingency upon exit back to the hotel Corona
We hit a kid on a bicycle. He came off the side walk in front of the car. No one got hurt just a damaged bike.

Someone gave the kid $20.00 and he was happy as snot and left.
About an 1/2 hour later I see this kid pointing at me with a cop standing
next to him. And a bent bike in the trunk of the cop car.

They came over to me and asked me where the race car was? I told the cop that it was on the race course knowing he wanted it. (Bullshit) If he looked behind him on the other side of the street it was under a cover. With a 40' long fifth wheel trailer With Tecate stickers all over it. (sponsor at the time)

Long story short he wanted to take me to JAIL and I wasn't even driving
the car at the time. Reason: For bardering with a minor. I didn't even give the kid the money!

As I was Basically stalling as much as I could this guy standing next to us asked the cop what was going on. Next thing you know this guy is yelling at the cop. I'm like WTF this guy is going to make my stay even longer!!

After this crap settles down he tells me to follow the cop the station
and wait for an adult or guardian and they will decide it they want to press charges. He hands me his business card and said he is the
Director of Toursim for Baja California if I have a problem to call him.

I was like Holy Christ (and I don't even go to Church) A get out of JAIL free card. Trust me first chance I got to use that bad dog was in the Police Chiefs office.

The mother of the boy showed up and said it was the kids fault and BANG!! Sir your free to go!!! I shot the kid $40.00 bucks for a new bike and it was Adios mothers I'm outahere!!!

Never went back to that shit hole of a country again!!!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

what ever happen with the 2000 mile fence georgy bush was supposed to build ? what a piece of crap hes been :cussing:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Its being built. Just the small 110 mile stretch from West Texas to New Mexico is said to have cost 220 million. Of course there are protesters here in EL Paso....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?um=1&clien ... 3D2&channe

and the Sierra Club......concerns about the enviroment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE8NtAkT ... re=related[/youtube]
99 CR500R

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dude i feel bad for you. el paso must be the armpit of the world being that close to the border
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

this dude says it pretty well

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibw9156 ... re=related[/youtube]
Steiner 311

Post by Steiner 311 »

Dude, thanks for posting drunkbob, I'm now a loyal supporter!

On the shooting case, it's being said that it was a total accident. He was shot by a mexican farmer while out hunting. Yeah fucking right, a mexican fucking dope farmer that is! "They came across a fence line covered in heavy brush"........hhhmmmmmmm....!! I'm sure the deer or coyotes they were hunting would make just as much noise as 3 guys on dirtbikes???????

Jas....................................................................................................
"Practice does NOT make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect!"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, what a crock!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

100hp honda wrote:dude i feel bad for you. el paso must be the armpit of the world being that close to the border
Yeah, but we have some pretty cool desert to ride in. :D
99 CR500R