Gen 1 A/F Conversion Drawings and Instructions!!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice one :)
--------www.UK2stroke.freeforums.org----------------
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

FYI: the drawing package is rev'd to an E letter change now, which includes the cooling hose splitter.
CR500AC widget maker
Redness

Post by Redness »

Can anyone tell me how I can get my hands on a Gen 1 set up like shown in this thread. I'm new to the site. Have a 1999 cr125 rolling chass and want to do a conversion on it.

More then willing tohelp the cause as these bikes are monsters, have always wanted one and now I have the chance. Help me out here boys.

The work you guys put in here in the brackets and hanger is outstanding. C;leanliness is next to godliness.

Help me create this monster gentlemen!

Cheers
What we do today echoes for eternity
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Contact ShanMan off of this site and see if he has any Gen1 kits left.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Danny Graves would be the one to contact...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Didn't think Danny had any left, but either can help. :D
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, I'm all out. I promised shanman we wouldn;t do another run. besides it took way too long to sell off all the kits.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

marshall put the motor in his AF today...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:ya, I'm all out. I promised shanman we wouldn;t do another run. besides it took way too long to sell off all the kits.

So what your saying here i guess is there is no chance of making this happen?.

shitty i was stoked to get humming on this project. Any other info you fellas can give me then on how too, because that kit made things look sweet and now it seems like a ton or r&d is needed. For whatever reason i can't look at the pics or drawings on the links on the first page.

I'll give the above listed a pm for sure really hopin we can make something work here. Heart is set.

cheers guys.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

settle down dude. first off, it would be real easy to make some front mounts. infact Marshalls gen-4 didn't get the cnc mounts at all, but instead 1" round stock trimmed.
the coil mount isn't needed if you use a 250 coil, washers can be used for spacers, I did my water hoses with a $3 lowes 3/4" T. the headstay is the only tricky part and we have a couple left over.

But beyond all this, shanman still has kits, he is just hard to get ahold of sometimes.

there is no such thing as a gen-2,3,4 kit and we build all of those and most of us are regular guys working with basic tools.

If you have your mind set on a magical kit that takes care of everything, then making an A/F may not be for you. The frame mods are the easiest part. its modding the gas tank and exhaust and radiator and airbox and finding a place for your cables, wires and CDI thats the hard part and the kit doesn't take care of any of that.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

M.F.D.B. wrote:marshall put the motor in his AF today...
I know, he called me asking about the headstay (which he lost), then asked about starting the 125 and asked if I could do it in 2 days :roll:. I was debating if I wanted to do the conversion for him or not and now I think I will just pass :roll: :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Redness wrote:Can anyone tell me how I can get my hands on a Gen 1 set up like shown in this thread. I'm new to the site. Have a 1999 cr125 rolling chass and want to do a conversion on it.

More then willing tohelp the cause as these bikes are monsters, have always wanted one and now I have the chance. Help me out here boys.

The work you guys put in here in the brackets and hanger is outstanding. C;leanliness is next to godliness.

Cheers
wait, I just read this, you expect the gen-1 kit to work on a 125!?!? :shock: first off dude, there is a ton of info and step by step conversions here that you can see, but more importantly a gen-1 125 is about the most difficult chassis to convert. most guys buy a gen-1 250 frame and convert that. any 125 needs a whole new craddle.
the gen-1 kit is only for the 250 although you can use the parts from it for a 125, lower mounts and a whole new cradle needs to be made up!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:settle down dude. first off, it would be real easy to make some front mounts. infact Marshalls gen-4 didn't get the cnc mounts at all, but instead 1" round stock trimmed.
the coil mount isn't needed if you use a 250 coil, washers can be used for spacers, I did my water hoses with a $3 lowes 3/4" T. the headstay is the only tricky part and we have a couple left over.

But beyond all this, shanman still has kits, he is just hard to get ahold of sometimes.

there is no such thing as a gen-2,3,4 kit and we build all of those and most of us are regular guys working with basic tools.

If you have your mind set on a magical kit that takes care of everything, then making an A/F may not be for you. The frame mods are the easiest part. its modding the gas tank and exhaust and radiator and airbox and finding a place for your cables, wires and CDI thats the hard part and the kit doesn't take care of any of that.
Jets are cool bro.. I just get a little passionate about projects is all. No worries the info is much appreciated. Being new to a forum sucks because knowbody knows your sarcasim through words yet. Give it time. Looking forward to this one big time. Thanks again
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:
Redness wrote:Can anyone tell me how I can get my hands on a Gen 1 set up like shown in this thread. I'm new to the site. Have a 1999 cr125 rolling chass and want to do a conversion on it.

Cheers
wait, I just read this, you expect the gen-1 kit to work on a 125!?!? :shock: first off dude, there is a ton of info and step by step conversions here that you can see, but more importantly a gen-1 125 is about the most difficult chassis to convert. most guys buy a gen-1 250 frame and convert that. any 125 needs a whole new craddle.
the gen-1 kit is only for the 250 although you can use the parts from it for a 125, lower mounts and a whole new cradle needs to be made up!

OK sorry, i was mistaken. I thought the 250 and 125 frame were the same frame. as it was posted earlier 98-99125 98-99250 Gen1.. No big deal. I'll have to find another roller and then we'll get going. Again thanks for the time.

The kit was the important part for me as I don't do chass mods for the most part. I do motor work and build custom sport bikes. so routing of cables and finding places to hide things is no big issue. Anything easy is not worth doing period.
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:

Cheers

OK sorry, i was mistaken. I thought the 250 and 125 frame were the same frame. as it was posted earlier 98-99125 98-99250 Gen1.. No big deal. I'll have to find another roller and then we'll get going. Again thanks for the time.

The kit was the important part for me as I don't do chass mods for the most part. I do motor work and build custom sport bikes. so routing of cables and finding places to hide things is no big issue. Anything easy is not worth doing period.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

cool dude! :wink:
just so you know, I think you can move all the 125 stuff over to a 250 frame. and a frame shouldn't be more than $200.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:cool dude! :wink:
just so you know, I think you can move all the 125 stuff over to a 250 frame. and a frame shouldn't be more than $200.
now your talking to me baby (in Tony montana voice)
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

Yup thats what I'm doing,Started with a 99 125 roller picked up a 99 250 frame for $50.00 on ebay(It cost me more to ship it here then I paid for it),Now I just need my mounts welded and start working out the rest of the minor mods,From what I understand from Shanman's last post is that he still has lots of front mounts,not sure about the rest of the parts though,I just picked up the mounts,Headstay & swingarm spacers,I figure I should be able to work out the coil mount and coolant lines myself
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

The coil mount in the kit is pretty trick, but it would be pretty simple to fab up some plate that will work.
Redness

Post by Redness »

kkvslayer wrote:
Yup thats what I'm doing,Started with a 99 125 roller picked up a 99 250 frame for $50.00 on ebay(It cost me more to ship it here then I paid for it),Now I just need my mounts welded and start working out the rest of the minor mods,From what I understand from Shanman's last post is that he still has lots of front mounts,not sure about the rest of the parts though,I just picked up the mounts,Headstay & swingarm spacers,I figure I should be able to work out the coil mount and coolant lines myself
The coil bracket shouldn't be an issue more worried about proper placement of motor mounts for alignment purposes. I'm sure the head stay could be made of tigh tencil steal, but in all honesty would like to build something uniform and slick, not chopped like ab utcxher block. Not how I work. Clean lines, tons of nuts and evil sounding is what I build.[/img]
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

like I said, we have a couple extra headstays, so no worries there.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Redness

Post by Redness »

dannygraves wrote:like I said, we have a couple extra headstays, so no worries there.
Perfect!

Another question to pick your brains. How different is the ride of the AF over the stock frame 500r handling, rigidness, overall.???

I'm used to over powered bikes so no worries there, but would be nice to know difference in performance.
cheers.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Remember that nice plush seat on your steelie? Well you can way bye bye to that. I think my Gen 1 turns a ton better than my 85, but it is a rigid beeotch and I am thinking of starting to use a mouthpiece when I ride it. In all fairness to the bike though, it does need the suspension gone through to accommodate the uhhh, extra girth of the rider. :lol:
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

Redness wrote:
kkvslayer wrote:
The coil bracket shouldn't be an issue more worried about proper placement of motor mounts for alignment purposes. I'm sure the head stay could be made of tigh tencil steal, but in all honesty would like to build something uniform and slick, not chopped like ab utcxher block. Not how I work. Clean lines, tons of nuts and evil sounding is what I build.[/img]
Theres no alignment to take place,cut off the front mounts & smooth out downtubes,place your CR500 engine in the frame,your pivotbolt and bottom mount are already lined up,place new mounts on the front secure in place with front mount bolt and weld,its not that complicated,I forgot to add you may have to use some washers between your engine and the mounts,I need 1 on each side but I think it varys between frames,Once I cut the X brace off the tubes opened up a little
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500