goggles???? I need some nice ones to block out the sun!

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
dannygraves

goggles???? I need some nice ones to block out the sun!

Post by dannygraves »

so, I've never had polarised or smoked goggles, but I keep getting headaches from squinting too much while I ride. what are the best goggles to get for this?
I found these and they are local and cheap, but I don't know how well they will help.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

What I suggest is going to Motorcyclesuperstore.com and getting the Smith Warp goggles, they are 15 bucks, then getting a red mirrored lense for the Warp goggles, best lens around that isn't some Unobtanium plastic from Oakley that costs a fortune.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

cool, thanks dude!
I'm gonna try to see if any local shops have any in stock since I'd like to have the goggles to ride this weekend.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Man Ive tried alot of goggles and they all seem to fit different...on the face and in the helmet. Ive been wearing Dragons for a few years now, but then I bought some Smith Fuels and fell in love with them. I just got another pair with the light sensitive lens. ( Smith Fuel LST ) The lens turns slightly grey when exposed to sunlight. I thought grey would be a bad color , but I dont even notice it when riding. Before the Smith Fuels I was going to get something with a nice blue or red irridium lens, but after reading reviews on them I found out they scratch way too easy.

Here are the LST's on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMITH-FU ... 0286966520
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

what about this?
http://www.smithoptics.com/Piston-Sweat-X_16_532.html
it comes with the red mirror lense. whats the difference between the red mirror, blue mirror and platinum mirror? like I know it looks different from the outside, but does it change anything from the inside?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

i have progrips with the auto darkening lense and love em.. :D Tinted during the day clear at night :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

TYSTYX wrote:Man Ive tried alot of goggles and they all seem to fit different...on the face and in the helmet. Ive been wearing Dragons for a few years now, but then I bought some Smith Fuels and fell in love with them. I just got another pair with the light sensitive lens. ( Smith Fuel LST ) The lens turns slightly grey when exposed to sunlight. I thought grey would be a bad color , but I dont even notice it when riding. Before the Smith Fuels I was going to get something with a nice blue or red irridium lens, but after reading reviews on them I found out they scratch way too easy.

Here are the LST's on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMITH-FU ... 0286966520
cool, thanks dude!
sounds like smith is the way to go... with those LST lenses, how well do they block direct sunlight? I only ask because it seems we ride apex everytime in the morning and we keep heading east, and I usually sweep, so I get the dust lighting up with the sun directly infront of me, I'd rather it be borderline too dark.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ISBB wrote:i have progrips with the auto darkening lense and love em.. :D Tinted during the day clear at night :D
how well do they tint durring the day?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

dark enough to keep you from squinting but no so dark that your afraid your gonna miss a witches eye and break your neck :P I would say a light grey.. I can bring them over when i bring over the parts for the motor so you can see. :D
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

cool, but I think I'm gonna buy some tomorrow, I hope I can find what I want locally for not too much $
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

good luck.. not much of a selection here in town... :D Most places dont carry alot of the diffrent VERSIONS of goggles ya they will carry smith but only one line.. or they will carry oakleys but only one line.. Your best bet is to try on everything they got with your helmet and then order online with the lense you want. :D
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Timely post.
Almost bought a pair of Scott Desert, light sensitive yesterday.
They're rather big. Anyone tried these?
On the light sensitive. I have been concerned about these because I ride in and out of bright light and tree shadows.
How well do they work with this, regardless of brand?
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

i have never noticed an issue riding from the bright side of a dune to the dark side of a dune during those dusk/dawn hours.. it seems quick enough for me :D Just my 2 cents
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Mad Dog wrote:Timely post.
On the light sensitive. I have been concerned about these because I ride in and out of bright light and tree shadows.
I like my Smith Fuel LST's because they are medium in size. I had a KBC helmet that my Fox goggles didnt fit inside very well, nor did my Dragons. I have a Troy Lee SE helmet that those two goggles didnt fit well in either meaning the bottom of the goggles were always kind of jammed against the face guard on both helmets......My Dragons fit my Oneal helmet perfectly, and but my Smith Fuels fit ALL my helmets.

I dig the colored mirrored lenses, but have stayed away from those because they seem to scratch too easily, then they look like crap, so the LST's seemed like the best thing to get IMO.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Blur B-1 mirrored
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

FOX........
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

alright guys, I spent almost an hour at cycle gear, they even let me take like 5 or 6 goggles outside to compare in the sun.
I ended up with these
http://oakley.com/pd/3607
all the auto dimming ones seemed to give a somewhat blured view, they only had like 3 smith's and none were smoked or tinted and all had the rolloff system that I really don't have a need for.
At the end it was down the 2, the oakleys which come with 2 lenses, one smoked and one clear and some scotts that were auto dimming, both were for sand riding, which is good for me. the dragon's and fox's didn't impress me much and they only had 1 spy and it was light blue frame and clear lense, so I didn't even pull it out of the box.
the oakleys were more comfortable, seemed to have a better foam setup that was covered in cloth, gave me greater visibility on the sides and the visibility was much sharper. I like the idea of auto dimming, but I live in vegas, where I ride... there is no shade :wink: so, all in all I am pleased with my decision, if these don't dim enough, I can pop in a coated lense or something. Plus they were only $40
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Mad Dog wrote:Timely post.
those were my #2 choice, your right, very big, but not that much visibility for the size and I thought the lense looked like crap when I took it outside and started looking at stuff with it in dark mode.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I have the Scott Desert... love um'
britincali

Post by britincali »

I got the same ones as you last week danny, not the sand ones tho.

They seem small on my face and feel like they are moving up my cheekbones, maybe they just need breaking in :?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
arleybeer40

Post by arleybeer40 »

I have the desert goggles and there great, as long as your not riding any tight trails. They dont have enough low speed air flow through them. At speed though they work great and dont let any dust in. They also come with 2 lenses and the tint is just enough.
Brit must be gay because he always says hes gonna have a fag
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

I had oakleys before the only thing i hated about them was the lenses scratched too damn easy.. i was replacing a lense every trip out.. was a pain in the ass... but they were comfortable and i still have them as spares just in case. :D
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

I tried an Oakley Crowbar with my TLD helmet. It doesn't fit the opening as well as the regular Scott, not the bulky one.
It's almost as if the Scott and TLD were made for each other.
Different helmets for different goggles, maybe?
I haven't tried the O frame.

A-Bob, do you run the light sensitive lense or the standard grey?
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I have 3 different lens...

Clear
Smoke
Blue
BIGWORM500

Post by BIGWORM500 »

It's all about preference and fit ..Also a pair that have changeable lenses so you can change for any lighting situation... vision is key :D And they gotta look Cool too :cool: :cool:
2003 AF 500
2004 CRF 50
1979 XR 500 road and trail
500hp 68 Camaro