My first MX on the AF

Upcoming Events
eyesky2002

My first MX on the AF

Post by eyesky2002 »

Well kids, after several practice days and what I feel is a well tuned and set up machine I think I am gonna give it a try with some competition. Running it in the beginner class, which is just that beginners on 125's, 250's, 450's and now the 500 aluminum frame beast.... I know I am not a beginner, but with 12 years away from the track I think it is close enough to start; I will run Fossil or Vet C next year!!!

Wish me luck!!!

http://www.pinehillmx.com/
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hoon On, Brother!!!
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Well not what I was hoping for... First off I will say I knew I was lacking in once place before I went... Suspension!!!! 3 lap practice, 6 riders in my class. Fell over in one corner on some lose dirt before it had a chance to track up. Kept it running jumped back on and rolled a 3rd for the practice. First moto we had light rain but let off before I ran, broke lose off the line and got a bad start but held 5th thru the 3rd lap. Started to get ballsy knew better with suspension and all but decided to pick it up, went thru a whop section and then a double, clicked in to 3rd in the air on to a step up and launched it. Good take off and landing, but the suspension bottomed and stuck HARD!!! Only thing that rebounded was me off the bars and tank, went down hard... Knocked the wind out of me, even without o2 I got the bike up, but it broke the clutch lever; so I was done.

Hard trauma on my sternum and right rib cage, nothing broke and no visible bruising; hurts like all hell tho! Sitting, laying, walking, sleeping, pooping all no fun Sunday; was just better off leaning against a wall :cry: Feeling much better today, at least I can function... Some what!

On to the rest of the night....

Got more rain before the 2nd moto and my buddies 10 year old was running 2nd on the 85's and went over the bars HARD on a big table... Keep in mind this 67lb kid would give most "A" riders a run for their money! Anyways he walked it off for a lap and got back on and finished last just to get his points. In the pits he looked like me, in pain and dazed. 2 races later he got on the 65 and pulled a nice 1st overall to lock him for the series with a 1st..... He is done on the 65's next week and his dad just made a nice deal on a 07 small wheel 150R for next season, he earned it!! Image

Got some video of my wreak and his 65 win I hope to get on the net soon!!!

Oh ya... I was geared head to toe... Helmet, Leatt, Impact suit, gloves, padded undies, knee braces, jersey, pants and boots as was my buddies kid!!! Gear goes a long way to making sure you make it to work or school the next day.... Yes I hurt but hate to think how I would feel without it.... WEAR IT!!!

And yes Mike you will be getting a call very soon for a little suspension work!!!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Nice write up bro hope you get better soon
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Hey well nice try. We've all had bad days and it could of been worse. Glad for the most part your ok.

The boingers are key. I found out how far out the 250 was last week although they are set up for my weight, its more for dune riding than MX. Fortunatly there was only one jump on the track but it is a launcher. I added a couple of clicks of compression but needed 2-4 more.

Good luck next time.

Also your not suppose to win practice. :lol:
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

iggys-amsoil wrote: Also your not suppose to win practice. :lol:
Say's who!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

teemtrubble wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote: Also your not suppose to win practice. :lol:
Say's who!
Well in your case thats different. :lol:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Hey well nice try. We've all had bad days and it could of been worse. Glad for the most part your ok.

The boingers are key. I found out how far out the 250 was last week although they are set up for my weight, its more for dune riding than MX. Fortunatly there was only one jump on the track but it is a launcher. I added a couple of clicks of compression but needed 2-4 more.

Good luck next time.

No amount of clicks will help with these, they need to be re-built, re-sprung, valved and fresh seals. Looks like I blew the shock out, as it is now leaking down the shaft and pooling at the bottom of the spring.

Soon as I am feeling up to pulling the bike apart , the suspension is coming off and getting boxed so I can get it serviced. Shit is not cheap, rolling with about $4k in to the bike, $1k in gear and now what ever the suspension costs to get it right.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tel you what you got some nice tracks over there
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Gonna post this up since I said I would, but after watching it I have decided to sell my bike to the old lady next door; fairly sure she could handle it better then me :roll:

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

eyesky2002 wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote:Hey well nice try. We've all had bad days and it could of been worse. Glad for the most part your ok.

Good luck next time.

No amount of clicks will help with these, they need to be re-built, re-sprung, valved and fresh seals.
I knew that, just passin along what I experianced with the 250. Normally I don't use it for MX unless I have to make a race for a series. Now a days I'm calling it my Adult mini. :lol:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Dude, why you were sitting down on the jump that you crashed on ??? That's why you crashed.
You were still in the seat on take-off, in the air, and landing..... Jumping like that is just asking for a get-off.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I don't think seat bouning was the problem, I do it from time to time but mostly out of a corner, it just depends and I ain't that skilled to do it. Looks like something out of view got him, probably not centered with the bike after bouning on the landing. I keep sayin slow the rebound, slow the rebound. (Harder)
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:I don't think seat bouning was the problem, I do it from time to time but mostly out of a corner, it just depends and I ain't that skilled to do it. Looks like something out of view got him, probably not centered with the bike after bouning on the landing. I keep sayin slow the rebound, slow the rebound. (Harder)
The suspension was eBay garbage... Everyone close to the wreck said I came down like Evil K with a fixed suspension, not to mention I am 242 geared up; so the springs were not even close. I had Jeremy at MX Tech rebuild, re-spring and valve them. Whole different bike, finally sticks tight in corners, have not spilt a cocktail on the whops or bumps and have a hard time telling I leave the ground on jumps. Doubled the amount of laps I can due now before feeling any fatigue, simply since I am no longer doing the work!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Shit, I envy you for trying, it's been seven years since I raced last. :oops:

Glad to hear you're alright and that you got the suspension taken care of. :cool: