Fernley OTMX

WTF Happened!!!!
hagendog

Fernley OTMX

Post by hagendog »

Well, start with a good drive to Reno and stopped at a friends house. We went to the world rib cook off at the nugget and they were good. It was a little warm and lots of people but worth it, good ribs. Left Sat. morning at 6 and got to Fernley around 7 and waited till 11 before I even got to practice. :evil: The track was rough by then but still fun. All the jumps were tables and some were actually pretty large. Here's the kicker though, winds were between 20-40 mph all day. Getting tossed 5ft left to right in the air ain't cool. It was hotter than hell Sat and windy too, sand storm kinda shit. Sunday was like 20 deg cooler with a little more wind. So......... racing was good, had 6 in my class for Sat and only 3 on Sunday. 2nd in every moto, one guy had my number and just out cornered me. Sand is real different and I need to ride in it more. Corner speed is everything and takes some getting used to. My Dad probably rode his best race to date. In his last moto he was running 2nd and had quite a lead on the points leader, about 4 laps in though started fading and got caught on the final lap. Good job Pops, he getting faster every race, at 63 too :D The Burning Man was that weekend too, the cars and people I passed on the way home, WOW. That's another subject completely. The next and final race is at Glen Helen Oct 4-5 I believe. We are going to try and make that one too
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

great write up
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

:cool: Props to dad. I guess the jetting was good.

Ya carrying speed into the corners, I found that out at Steiners place too.

Glen Helen 4th5th Hmmm... Maybe I can spectate that. Let us know. :lol:
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

Yeah jetting was good, turned the AS out a 1/4 turn and ran it. Made it to the first corner 1st all 4 motos just ended up 2nd or 3rd after it, need to work on the corner speed fo sho. The A rider in my heat was FAST, pro desert rider. He did comment on how hard my bike pulled him :lol:
Iggy, why spectate when you can run it. There's a class for everyone there. Motos are anywhere from 15-22 mins depending on the class and age group you enter. To all on the board, if you're 40+ you should go race or at least watch one of these OTMX races. Watching 70 yr old guys race is some cool shit!!
M.F.D.B.

Re: Fernley OTMX

Post by M.F.D.B. »

hagendog wrote: Corner speed is everything and takes some getting used to.
And traction out of the corner... :wink:

What types of bikes were you up against??
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

450's and 250 2 strokes. The guy that beat me in my class, B was on a 450. The fastest guy in the A class was on a kx250. He was just a great rider, could have rode a 125 and still won. Traction was an issue too, again the A guy had one of those sand tires and was hooked up compared to my 952. Was a lot of fun regardless.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

That explains the issue, on a thumper he prolly hooked up way better, power is nothing without traction, but you did well, dont sweat it...Prolly much better then I could have done!!
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee