01 CR250 rear shock questions..

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
plick_99

01 CR250 rear shock questions..

Post by plick_99 »

you all helped so much whith the forks I though I would hit you up with some questions about the rear shock.
I bought a new spring and have no idea how to change the old one out.
I cant find anything in my manuals to help so Im hoping one of you can clue me in on how to change the oil and spring?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Basically you have to back off all the pre-load (5,6) so the spring is not under any compression. Then turn the shock upside down and with a buddy's help use some tire irons or similar to compress the spring just enough that the C-clips (21,31) at the bottom pop out. Now the spring will slide right off.

It's much easier with this...
and this...

As for changing the oil. This is straight-forward with a manual but you'll need to find somewhere to charge the reservoir with Nitrogen. I would send the shock to Race Tech and pay for an oil change. They'll put the correct spring on at the same time.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I loosen up the adjusters all the way off the threads, then push the spring up. then you tap the little cup shaped thing that holds the spring up which will reveal a locking ring you can pull out, then pull that retaining peice out and the spring slides right off. very simple.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80