Almost lost my arm today

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Ported&Polished

Almost lost my arm today

Post by Ported&Polished »

Like those columbine accidents you hear about, my arm got caught by some farm implement and oh man I got lucky. I have this 70" mower on my tractor, it's powered by the pto off the back. It has a drive shaft and a gear reduction case to the blades. The bade deal weighs like 50lbs and when it spins, it doesn't come to a stop fast, it spins on an on. It's got this fricken shear pin that seperates the gear drive from the drive shaft, and the damn pin kept snapping today, so I got frustrated and in a hurry. I got a new pin, went to the deck of the mower, the dshaft was stopped but the blade was turning the gears still. So I'm wearing these new leather gloves and decided to grab at the spinning shaft part, it was going slow, but had momentum. In an instant the lobe shaped end cought the glove and took my hand under and twisted my wrist until the leather glove ripped off of my hand! Fawk, I yelped, and my first thought was ohh shit, what about the pismo trip. I got lucky, learned a lesson, and have a sore wrist right now but no broken bones. :roll:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:shock:

Stay safe, Hombre!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Glad your OK
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

WOW
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Travis

Post by Travis »

Disc Mowers are dangerous. I have seen pople cleanly cut off fence posts and telephone pole guide wires before they realize they have done it. It happens faster than you can snap your finger. I even once saw where a guy had hit a deer with one and it made a horrible mess. That friggin deer was hid in the tall hay, terrified and didn't run until the last second and it was too late.
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

I have a funny story about PTO's. This was quite sometime ago. One of my grandpas cousins was baling hay with a little square-baler and busted a sheer pin. Goes back to change it and some his pants get caught in the PTO luckily they were old rotten pants and it just ripped them off. So there he is standing in the middle of the field in his tighty wighties.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This is a pair of coveralls stuffed with straw. A small tractor is hooked up to power a hay baler that operates at 540 RPM. If someone wearing a hooded sweat shirt got too close to the rotating shaft, the strings on the hood could get wrapped around this shaft. Operating at full speed, the rotating PTO and driveline could wrap 7 FEET of the hood string around the shaft in 1 SECOND! This is much too fast for the person to do anything.
britincali

Post by britincali »

PTOs will do very bad things to a person very quickly, you got lucky man quit pushing your luck.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Keep your hands out of the farm equipment Mcfly!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

damn! scarry dude, glad you're ok.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Ya thats why I'm a little sketchy about riden GH tomorrow.

Glad it wasn't worse.
roost251

Post by roost251 »

Glad you are ok, since we are both out in the sticks need to pay extra attention to stuff like that especially if no one is around. If you need a hand just give me a call , only a little over an hour away.
Ported&Polished

Oh yea, there was nobody around, it would have been real ugly for me if the hand had actually come off my arm. Basically I would have had to stumble a half mile through the field to my quad, somehow ride it to a house, and find some way to get a ride to a hospital that is 35 minutes away if you go 80mph. :shock: It's real sore today, but, it's still connected to my body hehe. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Ported&Polished

AlisoBob wrote:Image

This is a pair of coveralls stuffed with straw. A small tractor is hooked up to power a hay baler that operates at 540 RPM. If someone wearing a hooded sweat shirt got too close to the rotating shaft, the strings on the hood could get wrapped around this shaft. Operating at full speed, the rotating PTO and driveline could wrap 7 FEET of the hood string around the shaft in 1 SECOND! This is much too fast for the person to do anything.
Shit man, that pic is scary! I thought it was a crushed and mangled human until I read it was a stuffed overalls. :shock:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

my dad worked at a newspaper in the 70s and this hippie guy gut sucked into the press because of his long hair.
03 CRF450/85 500