my pipe comparisons

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
bigjay

my pipe comparisons

Post by bigjay »

ok first off heres a disclaimer the following are only my findings from my bike ( 89' stock with the exception of an 89.5mm wiseco) at my altitude with my weight and setup, with that said..............

saturday i spent most of the day switching pipes and riding my bike. I had 3 pipes, a stocker, an older FMF with no model designation on it ( ie; not fatty or gnarly) and a gold series fatty. I ran all three through an answer-sa pro silencer with new packing. In between pipe swaps the bike sat over an hour to cool off.

The older fmf was the one that came on the bike, it made good power low to mid and sounded good, didnt seem to like to rev much at all though and would fall on it face at upper rpm ranges. bike started with 2 prime kicks and then 2-4 hard kicks from just after TDC

The stock pipe seemed to lack the bottom end of the older FMF but made good smooth midrange power, didnt sound that great. it didnt fall on its face up top but it wasnt too happy about it. It started about the same as the old fmf, maybe a little easier.

The fatty is a completly different animal, the bike shocked me by starting with one good kick every time. it was clear right off the bat that it was making more power, it sounds awsome now and revs faster/farther. i rode it down the street about about a half miles and into an orchard that i ride in as soon as i hot the dirt i romped on it and it flicked the front wheel up hard, something it hasnt done before unless i made it do it ( im not a wheelie guy so little first gear 1-2 foot wheelies are about as much as i do) the bottom end power was unreal, major torque difference between either of the other pipes all the way up untill about the last 1/4 of its range. i took a corner ive taken a ton of times that requires hard rear brake to slide the back end then quick back on the gas in first gear to "square" the corner off, i hit it the same speed and same way i always hit it but this time it broke loose big time and slid out from under me partially taking me with it, the bike hit an almond tree and i hit the bike, lost the front fender and the side plate in the combat with the dirt/tree. i was able to pick it up and start it right back up ( with one kick :twisted: ) and ride home.

regardless of the soil consistancy check i did im extremely happy with the big power difference and new found ease of starting.. can anyone explain why the pipe makes for an easier starting bike? i was trying to figure it out in my head and watching the 2 stroke animation thing but am still at a a loss. just thought ide share some hands on real world results.. nothing super cool like dyno testing ported jugs but usefull none the less... take care guys.
Jay

I break stuff
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i can assure you the starting issue isnt related to the pipe. heres a true story of mine just from today. all the gas was drained and my bike sat in a garage since january (i dont recall the exact day)- the jetting in the carb (55, 4th clip, 182), was what i had been using in arizona around 1200'. im now at 6300', i left the jetting what it was before, i put gas in it, put it in gear and rocked it back and forth a few times, it started first kick with stock pipe and silencer. it ran rich but i expected it to be much worse. this is true story
ou812

Post by ou812 »

I will agree in most part with your test results but here is why they came up a bit short. First, it is not a fare test of pipes to just bolt them on and try them, each should get a complete rejetting change including various needles to find the maxium effect of each pipe.

I have played with gnarley's, pro-circuit's, OEM, Jemco hand built pipes and what I found each will have a ball park feel with out of the box jetting but each would shine when jetting each of there own needs. With the gnarley it reached the point once jetted completly spot on that my supermoto became unrideable as with even slight throttle input would lift and wash out the front mid corner. Both the OEM and Pro-Circuit did not induce this severe bottom end sensitive hit but both had various strong points in the mid and top area. one other area I found was each pipe responded slightly differant to a change between FMF and procircuit silencers and both were freshly packed.

So why did your bike not sound good with the OEM pipe? I would say because it was the the jetting be further from correct for that pipe. As for starting issue again jetting to match one pipe the best.

While I did not go to the extent of various reed tension, this again would play a big part is suiting each pipe and bring out each pipes peak performanc. AS you may know you can even "tune " the tension on one read block setup.

I used my SM to get results as tire spin is not a issue unless you really want to wick it and do some crazy highsides, gotta like modern slicks!
Much harder to get the same feedback with the dirt one.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the fatty pipe is supposed to kickass, so your review doesn't surprise me.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Danny, what do you have on your 86?
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

ou812 wrote: So why did your bike not sound good with the OEM pipe? I would say because it was the the jetting be further from correct for that pipe. As for starting issue again jetting to match one pipe the best.

your probably right, the jetting seem to be well suited to this pipe, the bike runs cooler to boot, my current jetting is 50, 3rd clip, 180. i thought it ran great in comparison to the 90' untill i put the fatty on and it started to really RUN. I can see how it wouldnt be the right choice for SM , however in the dirt and at 340lbs i need that bottom end massive hit to get moving, nowi need a new rear tire to get the biotch to hook better.
Jay

I break stuff
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

nmdesertrider wrote:Danny, what do you have on your 86?
a modified gnarly. I had DeWayne do a little reshaping and cutting and welding the get the massive hit, but with some more over rev. my last time out I was running a regular gnarly.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

I found the old fatty to be the best sounding pipe and run out on top best as well as the newer procircuits in top run out. I always liked the midrange of stock and felt it was best for me. the newer narly from FMF I found to have the best bottom but lacked in peak power.