Opinions on Cool Head

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
4Z

Opinions on Cool Head

Post by 4Z »

More concerned about function and fit than looks. Is the dome design improved over the OE? Anyone with pics of the business side of a dome would be cool........even better squish angle and width, step.

TIA :D
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

There Cool !
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I have 1 with 3 domes but havent ran it yet
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

from the things I've heard, you'd probably be better off sending your head out for a modified squish than get a $300 head that leaks...just my .02
when they fit right, the swapable domes are really cool...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Ive got a alky dome 14:1
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
4Z

Post by 4Z »

dannygraves wrote:from the things I've heard, you'd probably be better off sending your head out for a modified squish than get a $300 head that leaks...just my .02
when they fit right, the swapable domes are really cool...
Leaking issues eh? Don't need that issue.
I thought about cutting the squish back but then would have to cut the whole dome down to get comp back. Instead of spending a whole afternoon on the lathe and flat plating not to mention the head stay, would it line up if I had to take 60 thou off without butchering the bolt hole thought maybe the cool head would be an option........$300 ?? that is a bit steep too. ...............................uhggg..........poop...................maybe just ride it and fergit about the whole deal...........................
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

They do have more coolant capacity and are supposed to run cooler, a CR 500 does have cooling issues.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Slow old Fart wrote:They do have more coolant capacity and are supposed to run cooler, a CR 500 does have cooling issues.
my cr500 doesn't have cooling issues :wink: at all about setup, coolant, overflow, etc. I doubt a little more coolant in the head will make that big of a difference. I understand why Jay needs one to run that 14:1 dome, but otherwise, I would just reshape a stocker.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

Slow old Fart wrote:They do have more coolant capacity and are supposed to run cooler, a CR 500 does have cooling issues.

They only have issues if something is wrong or blocked.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

The head I run is 55cc and i use 108 octane,when i take the bike in areas where circulation of the air is low and put a load on it it overheats bad. I always had overheating problems on the newer style Cr 500 with a cut head.

people i have talked to who run cool heads have told me the bike runs cooler with the heads, I have also had a top notch motor tuner tell me the stock head does not have enough material in it and when you run them full tilt you actually lose power because the head flexes in the dome robbing power. He was machining all new heads from the ground up.

of course this is his hearsay but it makes sence. I never really had issues with the aluma tubs overheating or the 85-88 steelie only the newer style Cr 500's.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I had .070 taken off and dome reshaped for $70. The holes in the headstay are sloppy enough to take it. That was on the steelie at the time.

I checked the coolant level yesterday and its perfect, just above the core the way I like it. Its been 4 or 5 rides since the last time it was checked.
4Z

Post by 4Z »

iggys-amsoil wrote:I had .070 taken off and dome reshaped for $70. The holes in the headstay are sloppy enough to take it. That was on the steelie at the time.

I checked the coolant level yesterday and its perfect, just above the core the way I like it. Its been 4 or 5 rides since the last time it was checked.
Curious, if you don't mind telling, what width did your squish band end up being and C/R you ended up with (or CC's)?