New Piston & Re-Bored Jug run-in.

WTF Happened!!!!
madmcnish

New Piston & Re-Bored Jug run-in.

Post by madmcnish »

Took my CR500 and my cousin on his CRF450 down to a little sand track in the dunes at Irvine beach today.
Thought I would use the beach (nice & flat & wide) to fininsh running-in the new piston and re-bore on the 5hundy before hitting the little track.
I was a bit apprehensive about squeaking the motor 'coz this was the 1st time I've had to run-in a 2-smoke, but everything went great - no problems whatsoever.
Once I was happy that everything was OK with the motor, we hit the track.
The track itself has basically been cut through an area of grassy sand dunes by the passage of bikes and quads.
There just used to be random trails criss-crossing the area, but now there's a proper 'loop'.
It's narrow, the sand is deep, soft and whoopy and some of the corners are very tight and heavily bermed.
This sand riding malarkey is something else - I must admit that my skills definately need to improve if I'm gonna to be able to ride terrain like this with any speed or consistency. That track whupped my ass!
My cousin on his 450 didn't fare any better either!
There were a couple of younger guys (late teens) their on little 125's and their motors were taking a hammering in the deep sand.
Another guy arrived later on a KXF450 and he made it look so EASY.
We spoke with his old man and it turns out he's a regular in the Scottish MX championship and was down to practice in the sand to improve his skills and stamina.
We walked round the track and watched him at the areas we were having problems with and the speed this guy was going at made it seem effortless.
He was skimming over the sand, where we were ploughing through it!
I know what I need to do to improve, but putting it into practice will be a bit more difficult.
I NEED TO GET FIT!!!
We hit a few other trails where the sand wasn't so deep and which were a bit more open to stretch the bikes' legs.
The CR RRRRRRRIIIPPPSS!
The motor's definately got a bit more 'poke' with the new piston & re-bore and smoked the CRF in acceleration runs.
Lots of fun!
I've got an MX riding skills course booked later in the year, so I think Step #1 will be to QUIT EATING ALL THE PIES!
If only my riding ability matched the power of the 5hundy....
'95 CR500 (which my partner doesn't know about!)
'00 Husaberg FC600
YEEEEHHHA!
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

noooooo you need to go faster... Going fast in the sand makes it EASIER to ride... the slower you go the more energy your going to use to fight the bike while its plowing sand instead of floating like that guy.. Also if its straight sand lower your tires air pressures so you float more... Just gotta get on it!!! thas all
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
madmcnish

Post by madmcnish »

I KNOW i need to go faster, but it's actually getting my brain to tell my hand to twist the throttle which is the problem!
I have enough trouble just holding onto the fricken thing!
Think of it as a work in progress.....
I can only get faster!
'95 CR500 (which my partner doesn't know about!)
'00 Husaberg FC600
YEEEEHHHA!