Building a CR500Af suggestions please.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
motorider

Building a CR500Af suggestions please.

Post by motorider »

I am dead set of getting a CR500AF I see that many people are building their own. I need some advise should one buy an regular CR500 and then buy a frame and build one or should one buy one done already? What way is cheaper or better any particular years I should stick with? Should I build one from scratch? I am overwhelmed right now on where to go from here, I work for a Honda shop so I can get good prices on parts. Also I want to trail ride but also want a set of supermoto wheels. Do these things do well with supermoto? Sorry for all the questions just need some direction here. Thanks.

God Bless.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Depending on your skill level:

Gen 1's are a slam dunk.....

Gens 4's are harder, but worth the effort.

Gen 2/3 are in the middle.

The desire to build one shouild not be to save money!!

You should want to do it as a learning excerise, and to know that YOUR bike will be built the way YOU want it .

Our A/F section is pretty comprehensive..... check it out!
motorider

help

Post by motorider »

not to sound stupid but whats the generation 1,2,3 etc differences? Just different frames?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Start reading...

:roll:
motorider

thanks

Post by motorider »

awesome thanks for the help. i will start to do my homework.
HrcRacing

Re: help

Post by HrcRacing »

motorider wrote:not to sound stupid but whats the generation 1,2,3 etc differences? Just different frames?
The first years of aluminum frames where 1st generation and were updated in subsequent years to Gen 2, Gen 3, etc.

For example, if my memory serves me correctly, a '97 to '99 CR250 is a Gen 1, a '00 to '01 is a Gen 2 and a '02 to '07 is a Gen 3.

There's a list of all the generations, including thumpers, floating around some where. :?
motorider

Post by motorider »

So is it really worth all the work converting everything to an AF. other than looking freakin awesome? handling pretty sweet?
TJC510

Post by TJC510 »

the gen 1s don't handle much better than the steel frame
the gen 2s handle great compared to the steel
never rode a gen 3
the gen 4 is the best handleing AF.

these are my opinions that are based on non converted bikes.
TJ
2005 cr500af
2008 300XC/w
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

TJC510 wrote:the gen 1s don't handle much better than the steel frame
Not true. And the Gen 1's can handle even better with "Late Model" boingers bolted on.
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

TJC510 wrote:the gen 1s don't handle much better than the steel frame
the gen 2s handle great compared to the steel
never rode a gen 3
the gen 4 is the best handleing AF.

these are my opinions that are based on non converted bikes.
I've ridden them all and the Gen. 3 CR (not CRF) is the best. The Gen.4 is great too, but I feel it pushed more in turns then the Gen.3.

The Gen. 1 handles fine, but the frame was over-built and is EXTREMELY rigid. This makes for one harsh ride. The Gen. 2 was much better.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

supermoto ahhh yes cr500 af supermoto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWToAfBMM10 check out supermotojunkie.com look under street tards
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

I just did write up on this there are many variables depending on WHAT YOU NEED. I have owned all of them and still own a GEN 1 450 as well as a gen 2 450 500 and I feel the Gen 3 250 conversion is the best overall but I am 6'5 and my gen1 CRF 450 conversion works better for me. I do not like a cramped bike.

If you ride high speed mostly there are better chasses than a gen 3 250 CR or gen 2 crf.

The CRF is really a gen 1 and gen 2 when tou think about it.

The gen 3 CR250 has very little in common with the 1st build of CRf 450 so it is not right to put them in the same catagory.

Handling is all in the eye of the rider and where you ride.
motorider

Post by motorider »

looks like it should be some fun. i am into trail ridding maybe want to do some harescrambles too and really dig supermoto. thanks for all the info feel free to keep it comming.
Slow old Fart

Re: 500

Post by Slow old Fart »

motorider wrote:looks like it should be some fun. i am into trail ridding maybe want to do some harescrambles too and really dig supermoto. thanks for all the info feel free to keep it comming.
Go ride all the bikes and decide which chasses you like,THEY ARE DIFFERENT and you will get a different opinion so you need to ride the bikes to form one for wher you ride. My recommendation is either do a CR 250 2002 - 2007 or a CRF 450 2002- 2004 or CRF 450 and 250 2005 - 2008!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I LOVE my gen-1 but will be starting 2 gen-4s soon. IF you decide to do a gen-1 we sell a conversion kit. The gen-1 makes for an afordable and very easy conversion. Like Bob said, you can bolt on the forks and shock from any gen to improve handling.
Don't let them lead you to think the Gen-1 is a dog in anyway, the handling is light years ahead of the stealies, I don't care what they say, my riding trastically improved when I converted.
A gen-1 would make a great supermoto since it is rigid as hell. also makes a great dunes bike for the same reason.
One could do a gen-1 in a day and honestly spend under $300 on the conversion. I bought my gen-1 running 250 for $900, sold the motor for $700, so if you could pull a similar deal, it would be under $500 in total if you already have a 500 donor.
The gen-2 and gen-3 2 strokes are harder to find cheap, since they are usually still good running bikes. the early gen-4 250s are getting cheap since they have tons of motor issue. you can pick up a blown up gen-4 for under $2000.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
motorider

Post by motorider »

is it better to get a complete donor bike i ask because i have seen frames on ebay for about $100
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

motorider wrote:is it better to get a complete donor bike i ask because i have seen frames on ebay for about $100
Yes, without a doubt. You will spend a fortune buying everything you need part by part. And, you always forget just how many parts there actually are. All the little things really add up.

www.approvedpainting.net
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

thats why the CRF 450 and possibly the 250 are the ones to do. Tons of parts so you can build a chasses cheap and get parts.

When i look on Ebay for gen 3 CR 250 parts it is like a ghost town,BOO!!!!

If you are going to race there is no comparison on which one will be the easiest and cheapest to keep going. the CRF's motors are pieces of Chit so parts are easy to get when the turd blows!!!!!!!!!

I was buying parts of off new CRF's that only had 6 months riding time on them and the people did not do the service that was needed and they were JUNKED !!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 strokes for racing SUUUCKKKK good for 2 smokers doing conversions! :D
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

GEN 3 hands down!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

mxracr121 wrote:
motorider wrote:is it better to get a complete donor bike i ask because i have seen frames on ebay for about $100
Yes, without a doubt. You will spend a fortune buying everything you need part by part. And, you always forget just how many parts there actually are. All the little things really add up.
Not true you can build a CRf roller cheap.

Go look at my ebay handle REALSLOWWWW buying habits under MPS the guy who makes AF conversions. t

The good thing about buying it by parts is you can build exactly what you want. If you are building a motard you don't need a 21 or 19 wheel laying around also you can put state of the art suspension swing arm linkages on a older model and eliminate all the spare parts laying around. Go looka at my buying habits and you will see there is enough stuff to almost build a roller and add it up.

But you must be patient and if you want it now no it will not work!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

teemtrubble wrote:GEN 3 hands down!
Why do you say that because you would not catch me doing a 125 unless someone gave it to me.

Oh yaa and SH promotes the 125 why because they built it and they use what ever they can for the conversion because bottom line is they got the roller cheap! And the product outcome is in a way an after thought!
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

Slow old Fart wrote:
mxracr121 wrote:
Not true you can build a CRf roller cheap.

Go look at my ebay handle REALSLOWWWW buying habits under MPS the guy who makes AF conversions. t

The good thing about buying it by parts is you can build exactly what you want. If you are building a motard you don't need a 21 or 19 wheel laying around also you can put state of the art suspension swing arm linkages on a older model and eliminate all the spare parts laying around. Go looka at my buying habits and you will see there is enough stuff to almost build a roller and add it up.

But you must be patient and if you want it now no it will not work!
You can buy a roller from $1k to $2k. You can't buy part by part, and all the parts you need, and I mean EVERY single little part, for that price. It can't be done.

www.approvedpainting.net
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

Slow old Fart wrote:
teemtrubble wrote:GEN 3 hands down!
Why do you say that because you would not catch me doing a 125 unless someone gave it to me.

Oh yaa and SH promotes the 125 why because they built it and they use what ever they can for the conversion because bottom line is they got the roller cheap! And the product outcome is in a way an after thought!
SH doesn't buy rollers. And BTW, the Gen. 3 CR125 was a fantastic chassis. One of the best ever produced.

www.approvedpainting.net
motorider

Post by motorider »

all this leads me to another question. a buddy has a 1997 cr500af said its a service honda i can get this from him for about 2800 to 3000 can i buy that and then get a more current generation frame for it and use that for my builder or is that not a smart idea. or would it be better to buy it and trick it out and get the supermoto setup and quite bugging you guys with all these questions lol
motorider

Post by motorider »

oh yeah another thing are the cr500af's decent trail and woods bikes too? thanks to all helping you guys are awesome.