New Lighting Thread

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

New Lighting Thread

Post by AlisoBob »

I'm starting a new lighting thread, with some new info: I'll start with this...

TOTAL LOSS SYSTEM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Battery- ... enameZWDVW

The stock CRF250X battery is a 4 amp/hour battery. I was looking at specs and came across this... a YTZ7S, same size, but a 6 amp/hour rating ( 50% higher and a $25, a real bargin). It is also a "Deep Cycle" style battery that is mountable in any position.

The stock CRF250X headlight is a dual 35watt Hi / Lo bulb. I fully charged the battery, and hooked it up on high beam ( wouldnt have mattered, both filliments are 35 watt)

In a "total loss" application, this battery lit the bulb at 100% for over an hour. From there is slowly degraded down to about 50% over the next 40 minutes. I would say it was good for a solid 1.5 hours of night riding.

Question? How much riding are you planning to do after dark? The battery costs less than a cheapie lighting coil + voltage regulator and works better too. Brits headlight is pretty dim at idle, looks good at 66,000 rpm...

:roll:

If you dont plan on extended rides, this simple and cost effective solution just might be all you need....

:woot:
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Not sure how much that weighs, but it could be a non factor for the average rider, and a big deal to the experts. I also suggest that if you do run a 35 watt bulb, get a mr16 halogen unit like the one Xylicon uses, it's bright! Also, rockymountainatv.com has some helmet lights that rock, check them out.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

4 lbs.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

LED Light bars.. Waaaay less draw than regular halogens and twice as bright. :D Google VisionX LED light bars :D OR check out the RacerOffroad shop in pheonix as they carry them to.. Sizes from 6" to 50" or some ridiculous number.. :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Yep LED is the way for total loss.
britincali

Re: New Lighting Thread

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote: Brits headlight is pretty dim at idle, looks good at 66,000 rpm...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My setup cost me a total of $65, I wanted it for cruising around camps and running over to the big hills at night. For that purpose it works awsome. :wink:

Add in any kind of speed and it becomes REALLY scarey riding with a 3ft field of vision, I hit comp hill with it twice and the pucker factor was off the chart!!!!!!!

For the new ones amoung us heres my light setup....

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... php?t=1684
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

do comp with no light.. :D That is fun.. I used to run olds in glamis at night under a full moon in the middle of the summer with no light... an ABSOLUTE BLAST!!
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
britincali

Post by britincali »

A full moon would be wicked, that night the moon wasnt even up yet :shock:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

Where would you normally mount a battery that size? I took a look at the front of my CR and I think you might be able to fit it behind the number plate, but I don't know how much of that room normally gets infringed upon with a headlight.

I wish they'd let us camp out and ride around after nightfall at Silver Lake. :roll:
britincali

Post by britincali »

Blusmbl wrote:Where would you normally mount a battery that size? :

I have a 4LBS battery for my NOS kit, it fits inside the seat nicely and you cant feel it at all while riding. They are a sealed wet cell and about $30 from NAPA.

Model 4L-BS
Weight 4.1
Volts 12
Amp-Hour 3
CCA 45
Length 4.5
Width 2.8125
Height 3.375

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ou812 wrote:Yep LED is the way for total loss.
VISX-XIL-120 Vision X XMITTER LED Light 8" | 8" | Black | Vision-X Off Road Lighting Price: $349

VISX-XIL-200 Vision X XMITTER LED Light 12" | 12" | Black | Vision-X Off Road Lighting Price: $500

VISX-XIL-400 Vision X XMITTER LED Light 22" | 22" | Black | Vision-X Off Road Lighting Price: $900

VISX-XIL-600 Vision X XMITTER LED Light 32" | 32" | Black | Vision-X Off Road Lighting Price: $1300

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

I never would've guessed a battery would fit so nicely in the airbox space. Thanks for the pic, now I know what I'm doing with my spare seat!
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Or

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimat ... ens-with-/

$60 including batteries, 3 hrs at max setting, recharable, total weight, 460 grams. glue light right on to front of an extra number plate, velcro batteries in air box with simple switch on bars.

seems better them a monster gel cell. Why pay retail?