Pro taper bar mounts

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
dannygraves

Pro taper bar mounts

Post by dannygraves »

so a little over a month ago I decided to do something about my crappy bar mount setup. the stock '97 upper triple had the mounts cast in for 7/8ths. MFDB gave me a spare set of factory 909 (pro taper) high bend bars, and I had a pro taper upper triple clamp I scored on ebay for $20, it was solid mount with 2 sets of bar mount holes. I decided I was going to bring the bars a little higher than that, so I got this set of bar mounts from a gift card Mrs. MFDB and MFDB got me for my bday (they really hook a bro up).
I made some spacers with some 1/4" T-6 sheet I had in the garage and a hole saw and drill bit. they came out looking really nice and exact in size to bring the bar mounts and extra 1/2" up. well, after everything was said and done the setup was perfect for me and I was able to stand for longer and experienced a lot less fatigue even when sitting. the next weekend I was getting ready to roll the bike into the truck to go for another ride when my bars felt loose. I took the pad off and noticed one of the 4 mount bolts was busted. luckily a little was exposed so I was able to remove the broken off peice, grabbed a replacement from my bolt bin and loaded up. The following weekend I decided to wash my bike for the first time since I built it. I busted out the simple green and pressure washer. lightly dried everything (I'm not one to care about water spots) and put it bakc in the garage. the next mornign the bars were rotated all the way forward. I figured out that a little water in there froze and busted the bolts, but didn't break the replacement I puit in there the week before, but broke 2 of the originals. looking at the broken bolts, they look cheap and broke like a cheap casting. I'm going to replace them with some higher grade hardware. But I just wanted to share my story, if any of you buy these mounts, they are great, but the hardware is poop!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80