Hey Twist and Shout.....

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Hey Twist and Shout.....

Post by AlisoBob »

You have had considerable experience with the S/H Digital Ignition. While the jury is still out, do you care to go over your experience with the unit?

We have heard PRO views, CON views, and somewhere in between.

Stiles, do you have enough time with that OEM unit Lewis loaned you to come to any conclusions as well?

:?:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thinking of buying SH unit BOB? :lol:
Twist&SHOUT

Re: Hey Twist and Shout.....

Post by Twist&SHOUT »

AlisoBob wrote:You have had considerable experience with the S/H Digital Ignition. While the jury is still out, do you care to go over your experience with the unit?

We have heard PRO views, CON views, and somewhere in between.

Stiles, do you have enough time with that OEM unit Lewis loaned you to come to any conclusions as well?

:?:
I played with it for a while when I first got it and bought a new motor put it in with a stock stator and an 11oz weight and just never had time to play with the new CDI again.

I intend to but things are working great and it's not high on the priority list. Some day.

Starting it was a bear but I understand this is a method simular to the way I start it now. I no longer take just one stab at a time but instead do rabbit kicks. Lites up nice. :cool:

If I do the ISDE qualifier in jersey I may be forced to play with it since the bike must be tagged and lighted.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I am finally going to get to ride this Thursday at Milestone! I think I already know what the outcome will be - it will start and ride just like the older Service Honda I tried and the '99 I borrowed once. I was sold on the stock ignition when it fired up second kick on my driveway weeks ago.

There appears to be some confusion over whether the Electrosport ignition does or does not need rabbit kicks. My experience is that it does - or rather the one big kick method I have to use does not work. I have such a limited time to ride I am very reluctant to invest in learning a new method, so I am going to stick with what works (for me).

Now it needs be said that AJ has been very good and sent a complete replacement SH ignition - just in case there was a problem with the original setup. My problem is that if I install that and it still is not easy to start will it be me or the ignition design? And do I really care to find out? I would have liked to hear a specific explanation of why the rabbit kick method is needed, but none has been forthcoming. If I were to "do it all again" I would have realized that the AFX version didn't really do more for me and gone with the AF version and a stock ignition...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
britincali

Post by britincali »

redrocket190 wrote: will it be me or the ignition design?...

If you can start it fine with the OEM unit its the ignition design.

To me there is nothing worse than a bike thats hard to start, I dont care if it gives you 20 extra HP if you are completly shagged from trying to start it and worried about stalling or shutting it off all day it flat sux.

What happens when you stall at the top of a dune? One of those times when your at a really weird angle and can only get a half ass kick? Or if you hurt your foot?

I like my bikes to start without voodoo.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Twist&SHOUT

Post by Twist&SHOUT »

I personally watched the owner of Service Honda kick over a cold AFX. The rabbit kick worked easily and looked the same as the method I use on the stock stator. :cool:

I find the rabbit kick to be easier then the conventional method. The reason for the rabbit kick on the new CDI was explained to me but it's been a while. If I remember right it just gives you that much more juice to light it up. :?:

If and when I go back to the new system and it is a problem it will come out as I can't tolerate something that causes problems. However with a Rekluse in the oven there's not much need to worry about stalling. :cool:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

redrocket190 wrote:I am finally going to get to ride this Thursday at Milestone! ...
I was gona go to Glen Helen thursday morning but its going to be pretty windy so they say. Milestone probably the same. So I've changed to saturday instead. Could you make GH then or......
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Twist&SHOUT wrote:I personally watched the owner of Service Honda kick over a cold AFX. The rabbit kick worked easily and looked the same as the method I use on the stock stator. :cool:

I find the rabbit kick to be easier then the conventional method. The reason for the rabbit kick on the new CDI was explained to me but it's been a while. If I remember right it just gives you that much more juice to light it up. :?:

If and when I go back to the new system and it is a problem it will come out as I can't tolerate something that causes problems. However with a Rekluse in the oven there's not much need to worry about stalling. :cool:
So by rabbit kicking it are you charging a capacitor?
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little