Cambridge Metals & Plastics truck-bed bar/bike tie down

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
TYSTYX

Cambridge Metals & Plastics truck-bed bar/bike tie down

Post by TYSTYX »

Ive been looking for a cheap way to secure the bikes in the back
of my F-150 for quite some time now. Usually we put a strap between
the triples of the two bikes, then ratchet down on the outside straps as tight as
we can, but no matter what we do the bikes always end up falling over to one side
when we go around corners or when entering or leaving our riding areas,
even with fork braces between the fender and front tire.

Enter the Cambridge Metals and Plastics Truck Box Bar. Stamped out of steel and then folded and welded into a
practical mounting bar. The tie down points are just simple u-bolts that go through
the bar and are welded on the top and the bottom, and the wheel chocks have a hole on each side....
in case you want to tie your wheel in I guess.
This is just what I needed !!. Now we can tie the bikes down easier
with less stress on the straps, and best of all, they wont topple over any more !!!
I used a center punch to mark the hole locations and a step bit to drill the holes to make sure they were centered and it took about half an
hour to do the whole job. Of course it comes with hardware, but I added my own small washers
to the side of the bar thats facing into the bed. Im still going to use the anchor points that are
in the front bottom corners of my truck bed for the tie downs that go on the outside on the bikes,
but for the inside straps I'll use the center loops on the new bar.

There is a better tie down bar available called the Bed Buddy. Its constructed better, but it also cost $130.
The CMP one that I got was only $75 and free shipping from some place called Sandhills Powersports.
I know that first time I use it this weekend it is going to end up paying for itself !!

:birthday:

99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

I rarely have a problem with bikes coming loose, falling over etc., even with two or three bikes.

I always tighten the inside tie-downs first, then tighten the outside tie-downs. This way works! :wink:
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
britincali

Post by britincali »

I can get two in my F150 supercab bed with no issues at all, aside from the bed touching the cab :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Either way, this bar speeds up and simplifies the tie-down process, eliminates using extra straps, and keeps the front wheels from turning on rough roads, and reduces headaches.

Brit, my buddies bed-box did the same thing because he uses the upper front corners to attach his tie-downs..... "squeezing" the bed sides together and causing the front wall to bend and stay up against his cab permanantly. :lol:
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

just drill some holes into the bed and use eye bolts or get the rail style eyes. It's a pick up, not a Farrari. :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Ported&Polished

Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Ported&Polished

Oh and that bar thing looks great too, should work great. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!